ctrl+Home and some other key combinations are not working

nice_guy75

Well I am not sure is the the right place to ask but I couldn't find better place than this.

Ok I have Sony Vaio VPCEB3FTX gifted to me by US based friend (I am using it in India).

I have a very strange problem, My "left ctrl+End" and "left ctrl+Home"combinations are not working but " my right ctrl is working in both the combinations. Similarly left Shift + End combination is not working but Shift + Home combination is working. There is one twist as well, when I use "Left ctrl+C or left ctrl+v they are working fine, means ctrl key itself is not faulty. And all those problem is with left ctrl and left shift only right ctrl and right shift keys are working fine most of the key combination, I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or some thing else.

What I have tried till date:

1. Reinstalled my OS

2. Reinstalled my drivers

3. Updated my OS as well as Drivers

If anyone of you can help me, I would be grateful.

General observations/question (sorry if they are too obvious, but I see you're not making progress):

- Does Fn + left Ctrl (or Shift) + whatever work? (Maybe it also controls other keys besides Fx keys. Some laptops have BIOS option to reverse the function of the Fn key.)

- Have you tried togging NumLock?

- I read Sony has a hotkey program. Have you tried with/without it? (install if you haven't used it, uninstall if you did)

GL

General observations/question (sorry if they are too obvious, but I see you're not making progress):

What do you mean by I am not making any progress, I have been struggling with this problem since very long, as I mentioned I have tried almost everything I can.

- Does Fn + left Ctrl (or Shift) + whatever work? (Maybe it also controls other keys besides Fx keys. Some laptops have BIOS option to reverse the function of the Fn key.)

- Have you tried togging NumLock?

I have tried Fn+left ctrl and left shift, nothing is happening

- I read Sony has a hotkey program. Have you tried with/without it? (install if you haven't used it, uninstall if you did)

GL

Now regarding the driver for Fn key, here is a twist, my lappy came with Windows 7 Home Premium with all the driver and sony application installed and that time everything was working fine then I have upgraded my OS to Ultimate (after taking backup of Home Premium I did a clean install) then also everything was working fine its only during the monsoon the keyboard started giving me trouble, earlier my pages were scrolling down by itself now that problem is solved (I guess that was because of the excess moisture in the atmosphere) now also some times my pages start scrolling down by itself. Mind it I have a backup of my Home Premium as well and when I tried to restore the backup, left ctrl+end and other combination still not working.

Now I have Ultimate but the problem with this OS when I install the driver of Fn key it start giving me msg "battery is not compatible with the lappy or not connected properly, click ok to hibernate your system and connect your battery properly" when I click ok my lappy goes into hibernation.

So finally I had to remove that driver.

Edited by nice_guy75

What do you mean by I am not making any progress, I have been struggling with this problem since very long, as I mentioned I have tried almost everything I can.

Yes, you've tried a lot but you (we)'re still not making progress since you first post.

my lappy came with Windows 7 Home Premium with all the driver and sony application installed and that time everything was working fine...

during the monsoon the keyboard started giving me trouble, earlier my pages were scrolling down by itself now that problem is solved ...

Mind it I have a backup of my Home Premium as well and when I tried to restore the backup, left ctrl+end and other combination still not working.

That points to either a hardware fault or an interference with the mouse/touchpad.

That points to either a hardware fault or an interference with the mouse/touchpad.

Can't we rule out hardware fault as my ctrl+c, ctrl+v and ctrl+tab are working fine.

Is this something to do with this article: http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx, though I am unable to understand the problem properly and does it mean, I have to replace my keyboard?

Edit: Good news guys, I was experimenting with the virtual keyboard of the above mentioned link. Primarily it didn't work then I pressed ctrl+page up this combination was working but ctrl+ page down was not working so I pressed page down key a little hardly suddenly it started working and then when I tried ctrl+Home and ctrl+end, these combinations are also started working, I don't went right but all is fine now. Thanks for all your replies.

Edited by nice_guy75