Is it safe to install unofficial themes in Win7?

JorgeA

Andre,

According to what I read on the WindowBlinds forum, they do intend to release a Windows 8 version. It is unknown, however, whether this will have Aero capability.

BTW, while researching this topic, I came across this, which I thought you might find interesting (if you don't already know about it). I'd be curious to know what you think of it.

--JorgeA

Here are my top three candidates: Longhorn M7 R2 Nightly, Longhorn Revealed for Windows 7, and Aero 6519 theme for Windows 7. The Longhorn themes are visually stunning IMHO, but I'll settle for the Vista look if necessary. :)

Of these three, the leader is Longhorn Revealed, if it can do the Vista-type convex taskbar (not shown on the screenshots).

Let me see if I'm starting to understand this. It sounds like the first two contain modifications to system files, while the Vista one is simpler and maybe safer? (Although even that one still calls for using the UXTHEME patcher.)

All thee of those packages contain plain files, no installers, that's great. But unlike the Vista Aero package ( it only has proper "theme" files ), both of the "Longhorn" packages have patched Explorer.exe's and a couple of DLL's. They're probably okay since it is a very popular site and they have a bunch of positive comments. I don't have time to scan them right now but you can send them up individually ( Jotti - VirScan - VirusTotal ) for peace of mind.

Actually I now see that the Longhorn M7 R2 Nightly package has a lot of system files, while the Longhorn Revealed only has three. You can easily make a list of the files to be replaced, feed it to WinRar and it will make an archive with your originals for safekeeping.

EDIT: not required for transparency obviously on Win7

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Windows 7 offers plenty of personalization options already, but there are some nice unofficial (and unsigned) themes out there that you can't install without a little tinkering. Normally that requires downloading and patching several Windows .dll files, and it can be kind of a pain in the butt -- especially if you're not the DIY type.

Kishan Bagaria has put together Windows Theme Installer for The Windows Club and it makes the process a whole lot easier.

robertwm,

Thank you (and welcome). I don't mind doing a bit of tinkering, that's part of the fun.

I'll check out the Windows Theme Installer, keeping in mind the cautions given earlier in this thread.

--JorgeA

• 2 weeks later...

I use Tune Up Utilities Windows Styler which offers a wide range of free themes for XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Makes it easy to change too.

Plus you get a whole bunch of excellent utilities and automatic maintenance every three days.

Try it out! TUU 2013

I have used TUU for years on XP SP3 without mishap.

Mac.

Edited by Iain