Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Does Anyone Else Still Prefer Vista?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Vince4Amy

Vince4Amy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07
Hi All,

There doesn't seem to be that many people who still use Vista out of choice and coming across a Vista machine in the wild so to speak is becoming more unusual all the time. I've repeatedly tried Windows 7 (and have deployed it to sever hundread machines at work) however at home I much prefer to run Vista and have done since it was released. I've even give Windows 8 RTM a fair trial since it was released in August and I got annoyed with that after a while and just went back to Vista.

So I'm just wondering if there are any other forum members who use Vista out of choice still?

[ AMD Phenom II 840 X4 3.2GHz | Biostar TA870 | 16GB RAM | ATi Radeon HD5770 | OCZ Agility 3 120GB ]

12770.png

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
Well I have read this thread: http://www.msfn.org/...than-windows-7/ and do agree with many points made but all of the regressions Windows 7 took compared to Vista can be fixed I think. What is it that you like about Vista that Windows 7 doesn't have? Or do you not like about Windows 7 that can't be made Vista-like? :)

Edited by xpclient, 20 October 2012 - 06:57 AM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

Vince4Amy

Vince4Amy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07
Yes those points are some of the things but also I find that everything seems to perform a lot smoother on Vista.

[ AMD Phenom II 840 X4 3.2GHz | Biostar TA870 | 16GB RAM | ATi Radeon HD5770 | OCZ Agility 3 120GB ]

12770.png

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
I personally consider win "7" to be tweaked vista with better file manager (UI wise) and taskbar
nothing more

but since it is newer, and more polished (yes I think vista was rushed), I chosen to use win "7"

Edited by vinifera, 20 October 2012 - 06:31 PM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,283 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

So I'm just wondering if there are any other forum members who use Vista out of choice still?

Count me as one of them! There are several others I know of who prefer Vista, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

My preference for Vista is mostly from an esthetic angle. A lot of people don't care much about "eye candy," but I think it has the most elegant interface of any Windows release. My work involves looking at a PC screen all day long (and sometimes far into the night), and for me a visually appealing UI helps to make the day more pleasant.

Windows 7 ranks second on my list. It works much the same as Vista, but the visual effects are toned down so I view 7 as a "plain Jane" version of Vista. Oh, and on my one Windows 7 system, I've slimmed down the Taskbar to the sleek Vista default width.

Glad to meet another Vista fan! :thumbup

--JorgeA

Vince4Amy

Vince4Amy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

My preference for Vista is mostly from an esthetic angle. A lot of people don't care much about "eye candy," but I think it has the most elegant interface of any Windows release. My work involves looking at a PC screen all day long (and sometimes far into the night), and for me a visually appealing UI helps to make the day more pleasant.

Completely agree, though I am trying to get into Windows 8 and I probably will give it another go, there's always VMWare for the Vista fix :)

But yeah not only that I just prefer Vista overall, it's just little things to be honest.

12770.png

ND22

ND22

• 49 posts
  • Joined 16-January 08
I also prefer Vista over 7. Did not tried 8 yet but I think the interface change is just too much for me. Have a Vista install on a 2006 computer that still runs fine today and does the job for me.

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

But yeah not only that I just prefer Vista overall, it's just little things to be honest.

Like...
Customizable Control Panel,
Classic Start menu (if desired),
Overlay icons for shared items,
The ability to turn off Auto-Arrange and Align to Grid in Windows Explorer,
No "Never combine" taskbar stupidity,
Real Parental Controls,
Much better Windows Defender (with Software Explorer),
Windows Media Player toolbar,
Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Mail,
???

And it is simply gorgeous. :ph34r:

Edited by UltimateSilence, 07 November 2012 - 06:50 PM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

Vince4Amy

Vince4Amy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07
I've just read that the latest version of disk keeper supports trim on ssds on Vista which is fantastic. All the more reason to continue using Vista really :).

Edited by Vince4Amy, 08 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

12770.png

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11
In a year from now (when extended phase support dies out for my Windows XP x64 Edition), I plan to install Windows Vista x64 Utimate Edition. I have ran a test install for a couple of weeks. I find that, except for the boot logo and Weclome Screen taking twice a long to load, I have managed to tweak Vista x64 to the point that it's besically as fast as XP in Basic Mode, once the desktop appears. In fact it runs REALLY well!

I am using an HP xw8200 Workstation with 7 GB of RAM, and two Xeon CPUs at 3.66 GHz.

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11
I'm using the main desktop PC which as Windows 2000 on it. The laptop that I'm currently using has Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) and so far so good, the laptop is working as is. :)

AVA Direct FX AM3+ specs: Zalman ZM Z9-U3 Black Mid-Tower case / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / AMD FX-4300 3.8 GHz quad-core processor / Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU/ Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler / Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB (WD1003FZEX) SATA III 7200 RPM / Lite-On iHas124 Black 24x DVD-RW / 8 GB Crucual (2 x 4GB) / StarTech SATA-to-CompactFlash Adapter (35BAYCF2SAT) / Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 520 MHz 1 GB GDDR3 / Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
I also prefer Windows Vista as long as it's at least SP1 level (SP2 highly recommended).
the original/RTM release of Vista was pretty buggy when my mom got a Dell Inspiron laptop with pre-installed Vista home basic edition in June 2007.
some of the serious problems of Vista were fixed in SP1 and then in SP2.

folks, avoid using Vista at RTM level. update to Vista SP1 or Vista SP2.

Edited by erpdude8, 22 April 2013 - 10:12 PM.

ROTS

ROTS

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 22-September 12
Vista seems to work okay, my only problem is that with newer programs, ( meaning cheaply built crap, that nobody took the time to learn C, and use a proper compiler ) it just seems that getting a problem is faster, with any new OS like Vista. That being said, Vista is a great OS to catch up on, things I missed from 2005. Otherwise I do not really care about the newer OS. The only reason why I need a new OS is to run a job related program, I am forced to use.

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Joined 20-June 12
I'm a Vista guy. As long as you have SP1/SP2 installed, it should be no problem.Windows Vista boots faster than XP or 7 on this PC, it's very peppy, and it looks beautiful. I prefer Vista over Windows 7 and especially Windows XP.

My system is an Ivy-Bridge Pentium G2010 with 4GBs of DDR3, and a 500GB HDD.

With avast! antivirus and Comodo Firewall by your side, it's extremely secure, too.

Eddie2003

Eddie2003

• 17 posts
  • Joined 05-February 07

I like Vista and made a german update-package for vista, which includes only all updates from Windows Update (305MB for now).

Vince4Amy

Vince4Amy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Good to know that others are still using Vista.

I had actually moved to WIndows 8 last year and went back to Vista due to Windows 8.1. DirectDraw is still not fixed and there's too much Skydrive integration for my liking so Vista it is :) .

12770.png

Boroka

Boroka
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 26-October 13

Greetings everyone. I am new here. Saw the thread title and I wanted to add my comment.

I have 3 machines with Vista on them: my (1st gen.) Core i5-based "gaming PC", my (2nd gen) Core i5-based "multi-purpose" PC and a Samsung R519 laptop (which I bought because it was the cheapest one I saw). They all run fine. What's the fuss about Vista? (And what was the fuss about Windows ME (compared to 98), back in the days?)

I installed Win 7 on a relative's PC a few months ago (alongside Linux Mint), and there are many things in Win 7 that I find less user-friendly than in Vista. I hope to keep these 2 PC's (the battery's laptop is starting to fail) for many years to come, and when they give in, it will be Linux all the way.

I've an old single-core P4-based PC that's still running XP. Windows XP, best version ever. It will be deeply missed, when it's gone.

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Well, I'm on schedule for a New Year's "upgrade" to Vista x64 Ultimate in January.  So I am on my last two months of Windows XP x64 Edition.  Almost bittersweet, since I'm looking forward to using something more updated, but my XP x64 installation runs with aplomb!

Vince4Amy

Vince4Amy

• 41 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Well, I'm on schedule for a New Year's "upgrade" to Vista x64 Ultimate in January.  So I am on my last two months of Windows XP x64 Edition.  Almost bittersweet, since I'm looking forward to using something more updated, but my XP x64 installation runs with aplomb!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. IMO it's still the best version of Windows to date.

12770.png

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

Hi Vince4Amy:

I did run a test install last year for a couple weeks.  I admit that it ran REALLY well.  Vista x64 with SP2 bundled in was nowhere near as bad as Vista x86 when it first came out.  It was horrible.

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. IMO it's still the best version of Windows to date.

What makes you say that ?  There are so many Vista haters out there who would say different.  I liked the OS sure enough, but what makes it the Best Windows Yet?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

What makes you say that ?  There are so many Vista haters out there who would say different.  I liked the OS sure enough, but what makes it the Best Windows Yet?

As erpdude said a few posts earlier, the "key" here is SP1.

Anyone who had the Vista as it was provided originally (and it took 1 - one - whole year to get the SP1) cannot but hate it.

Generally speaking, the "professional" user, long before the SP1 was released would have downgraded to XP and never looked back, the "common user" (who had it pre-installed on a PC) would have suffered one long year of "queer" behaviours and would have had so much time to hate the stupid OS that he/she cannot forget it.

To the above you add that - still generally speaking - the Vista's coming with OEM hardware were invariably on seriously underpowered machines that contributed to spread the notion that VIsta is a resource hog (which BTW it is ;)).

With SP1 Vista began behaving like a working OS, but it was too late.

jaclaz

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

I like Vista over Windows 7 myself except for a few things. One of the things I hate is the fact I could only afford Home Premium at the time since I got it when it was almost brand new and the fact I had Windows XP Professional, you couldn't upgrade nor could I install it as a new OS because it was the upgrade version. So you'd have to install a trial version of Vista and then upgrade it with your key so it was like doing two installs which was a real pain. I much prefer Windows Media Player 11 over 12 which I hate so much particularly when it comes to watching video. I hate that it seems like it opens a new window just to watch video. You can't even adjust enhancements either unless it's on the video screen which doesn't make any sense at all.

I also like how Windows Vista is more colorful than Windows 7. Sure, it can be changed with some tweaking but why should I have to do that? I loved the green panel and green toolbar in Vista compared to the blah nearly white bar and the side bar in Windows 7 is also blahish to me. I think if I remember correctly it's a light blue. But it's so blah that to me it's not even pretty to look at. I hate that they got rid of the classic start menu as there was no reason for that at all. I always use the classic start menu and even though XP's new start menu was okay, I hate how you actually have to scroll through programs on Vista and 7's new start menu. I want my options all laid out in front of me.

The one thing I don't like is how MS removed DirectSound from Vista. Without the hardware acceleration, video playback and even a few other programs I use feel choppy to me. I like using the Project 64 emulator and in Vista even if you sync audio to frame rate, the sound still pops. They fixed it in Windows 7 somehow but it's still not a Vista deal breaker.

I do like the classic control panel in Vista as well, even though you can sort of change the one in Windows 7, I still don't like it. I spend more time looking at it deciding where I want to go where in Windows 2000, XP, and Vista set to classic, I know where I'm going and things aren't really labeled stupid either. What was wrong with Add/Remove Programs? That was fine for years, now it's labeled...I don't even remember what...Programs and Features or something like that. That's BS! Vista might have it like that too, I can't remember. But if they could iron out the rest of the Vista bugs, I'd definitely use it over 7 any day!

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11

So if I use an application in XP Pro that uses DirectSound, is it incompatible with Vista?

ROTS

ROTS

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 22-September 12
For all of my latest Windows rubbish, I decide to go with Vista. I am not going to reverse engineer Windows 98, and Xp has a bunch of releases. Just to make things easier, I would go with Vista unless somebody has a guide to update 98 or Xp to a Vista like state. The only thing that bothers me, is how Vista damaged a bunch of my compressed files, so I need to drop zip file support, or whatever it is called. How are they any different then Vista? What did it fix? So far I can do all of my intensive labor work on Vista as long as everything is calibrated, and up to date. Bottom-line is that people need an up to date OS that can install most new software. On the programming level ( not GUI appearance ), that is all that counts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users