Does Anyone Else Still Prefer Vista?

Vince4Amy

Good to know that others are still using Vista.

I had actually moved to WIndows 8 last year and went back to Vista due to Windows 8.1. DirectDraw is still not fixed and there's too much Skydrive integration for my liking so Vista it is :) .

Greetings everyone. I am new here. Saw the thread title and I wanted to add my comment.

I have 3 machines with Vista on them: my (1st gen.) Core i5-based "gaming PC", my (2nd gen) Core i5-based "multi-purpose" PC and a Samsung R519 laptop (which I bought because it was the cheapest one I saw). They all run fine. What's the fuss about Vista? (And what was the fuss about Windows ME (compared to 98), back in the days?)

I installed Win 7 on a relative's PC a few months ago (alongside Linux Mint), and there are many things in Win 7 that I find less user-friendly than in Vista. I hope to keep these 2 PC's (the battery's laptop is starting to fail) for many years to come, and when they give in, it will be Linux all the way.

I've an old single-core P4-based PC that's still running XP. Windows XP, best version ever. It will be deeply missed, when it's gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm on schedule for a New Year's "upgrade" to Vista x64 Ultimate in January. So I am on my last two months of Windows XP x64 Edition. Almost bittersweet, since I'm looking forward to using something more updated, but my XP x64 installation runs with aplomb!

Well, I'm on schedule for a New Year's "upgrade" to Vista x64 Ultimate in January. So I am on my last two months of Windows XP x64 Edition. Almost bittersweet, since I'm looking forward to using something more updated, but my XP x64 installation runs with aplomb!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. IMO it's still the best version of Windows to date.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. IMO it's still the best version of Windows to date.

What makes you say that ? There are so many Vista haters out there who would say different. I liked the OS sure enough, but what makes it the Best Windows Yet?

As erpdude said a few posts earlier, the "key" here is SP1.

Anyone who had the Vista as it was provided originally (and it took 1 - one - whole year to get the SP1) cannot but hate it.

Generally speaking, the "professional" user, long before the SP1 was released would have downgraded to XP and never looked back, the "common user" (who had it pre-installed on a PC) would have suffered one long year of "queer" behaviours and would have had so much time to hate the stupid OS that he/she cannot forget it.

To the above you add that - still generally speaking - the Vista's coming with OEM hardware were invariably on seriously underpowered machines that contributed to spread the notion that VIsta is a resource hog (which BTW it is ;)).

With SP1 Vista began behaving like a working OS, but it was too late.

jaclaz

I like Vista over Windows 7 myself except for a few things. One of the things I hate is the fact I could only afford Home Premium at the time since I got it when it was almost brand new and the fact I had Windows XP Professional, you couldn't upgrade nor could I install it as a new OS because it was the upgrade version. So you'd have to install a trial version of Vista and then upgrade it with your key so it was like doing two installs which was a real pain. I much prefer Windows Media Player 11 over 12 which I hate so much particularly when it comes to watching video. I hate that it seems like it opens a new window just to watch video. You can't even adjust enhancements either unless it's on the video screen which doesn't make any sense at all.

I also like how Windows Vista is more colorful than Windows 7. Sure, it can be changed with some tweaking but why should I have to do that? I loved the green panel and green toolbar in Vista compared to the blah nearly white bar and the side bar in Windows 7 is also blahish to me. I think if I remember correctly it's a light blue. But it's so blah that to me it's not even pretty to look at. I hate that they got rid of the classic start menu as there was no reason for that at all. I always use the classic start menu and even though XP's new start menu was okay, I hate how you actually have to scroll through programs on Vista and 7's new start menu. I want my options all laid out in front of me.

The one thing I don't like is how MS removed DirectSound from Vista. Without the hardware acceleration, video playback and even a few other programs I use feel choppy to me. I like using the Project 64 emulator and in Vista even if you sync audio to frame rate, the sound still pops. They fixed it in Windows 7 somehow but it's still not a Vista deal breaker.

I do like the classic control panel in Vista as well, even though you can sort of change the one in Windows 7, I still don't like it. I spend more time looking at it deciding where I want to go where in Windows 2000, XP, and Vista set to classic, I know where I'm going and things aren't really labeled stupid either. What was wrong with Add/Remove Programs? That was fine for years, now it's labeled...I don't even remember what...Programs and Features or something like that. That's BS! Vista might have it like that too, I can't remember. But if they could iron out the rest of the Vista bugs, I'd definitely use it over 7 any day!

For all of my latest Windows rubbish, I decide to go with Vista. I am not going to reverse engineer Windows 98, and Xp has a bunch of releases. Just to make things easier, I would go with Vista unless somebody has a guide to update 98 or Xp to a Vista like state. The only thing that bothers me, is how Vista damaged a bunch of my compressed files, so I need to drop zip file support, or whatever it is called.

How are they any different then Vista? What did it fix? So far I can do all of my intensive labor work on Vista as long as everything is calibrated, and up to date.

Bottom-line is that people need an up to date OS that can install most new software. On the programming level ( not GUI appearance ), that is all that counts.

When I made the switch from Windows 98 to Vista five years ago, with a single exception none of the files I copied over (Word, spreadsheets, ZIP files, MP3's, etc.) had any problem being read on the new machine.

Hopefully, ROTS can give us more details as to what kind of files they were in his case, and what happened.

The only trouble I had was with a program, rather than data files as such: CompuServe, where I had all my e-mail. Took a while to finally get it to work in compatibility mode; until that happened, I couldn't access my e-mail archives because they are stored in a proprietary CServe format.

--JorgeA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, I too prefer Windows Vista over Windows 7. I love Vista's visual appearnce, the features, and overall the way the OS works. Windows 7 was a fine OS as well, but as much as it tried be the supercharhed Vista. In my opinion it's just more stripped down, missing features, and looks awkward. I will always use Vista Ultimate SP2 as my main OS.