[Resolved] Get rid of Start Menu items after install?

I think what he looking at is this key that lists some of the things in Start list

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Classes\Local Settings\MuiCache\CD\52C64B7E

I removed both those in HKEY_USERS and rebooted and they reappear so they are populated from somewhere else

Also the listing in that Muicache is for an icon not a link @comres.dll,-2450

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT is the Default user in the registry and the Default file matches it closely, but as you can see there is not much you can change there

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks maxXPsoft and Tripredacus. I am going to do some more exploring and will edit this post if I learn anything worthy. I have used the DEFAULT file and will keep it in mind. Enjoy, John.

I modify from maxXPsoft's registry tweak in #5 and able to achieve Zero item in Start Menu.

I use Win Toolkit to slipstream below key as .WA addon.

This is what I have when I first get to the desktop. (on win7x86)

l854g.png

As my Autounattend.xml contains some existing link, just to let you know it has no affect and is unable to add new item even if you have entries to <StartPanelLinks>.

Also my Autounattend.xml creates 2 users. I check the second user start menu. No item is pinned too.

Currently. I'm exploring how to pin my own program to the start menu. If I find something, I let you know.

Hope this is useful,

Cheers

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_MinMFU"=dword:00000000
"Start_JumpListItems"=dword:00000000

Edited by Geej

The solution was simpler than I imagined:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ClearRecentProgForNewUserInStartMenu"=dword:00000001

I injected this code into the install.wim using:

reg.exe load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM_Default "%Mount%\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT"

Ran the ISO on a VM and there is an empty Start Menu but if I run Paint (for example) it is placed in the menu. I have some exploring to do to fully understand what I have learned. I will remove the attached .reg file above since it contains many unneeded things. Where the HKEY_USERS keys came from I do not know. It may have been due to some other activity after shot one and before shot two of RegShot. I did several other RegShots and never saw the HKEY_USERS keys again. A red herring that really confused me (perhaps easy to do). The epiphany came from a search of MS TechNet for "Clear the recent programs list for new users" - here. Thank you Tripredacus and maxXPsoft for your help and time.

Geej, I ran the same test as you and got the same results. I have a command file and VBS file that will pin/unpin items for the Start Menu and Taskbar. Found the solution searching the Internet. If you cannot find it quickly, then please start another thread and I will post my files there.

Enjoy, John.

Good find johnhc

I think you could use and mount the Software file from Mountdir\Windows\system32\config\Software. That represents the HKLM\Software

I'll have to try it next time around.

This is how I do 'pinned to start menu'

This did not work on Win 8 VM so far, I installed that Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 and my items are not pinned. I'll be looking into that.

• 2 months later...

This works for me in Windows XP but it should be the same for 7. Just put the name of the .exe file you don't want showing up in the Start Menu.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;I don't want these in my Start Menu!
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Notepad.exe]
"NoStartPage"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\WinRAR.exe]
"NoStartPage"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\cmd.exe]
"NoStartPage"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Wupdmgr.exe]
"NoStartPage"=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\migwiz.exe]
"NoStartPage"=""