VC++ Redists...

neowillendit

Hi Friends,

Got a strange OCD type question...I have collected a LOT of Visual C++ Redists over the years due to games that I play requiring specific exact versions, otherwise I get crashes and/or errors in the Event Log.

Whenever I have to install Windows 7 fresh (about every 3-6 months) and (repeated 3 times for 3 different PCs in my home) I have to go through the painstaking and mind numbing process of installing these redists one by one. I'm not familiar with CMD prompts, so could anyone help me with some way to install these redists (EXE files) automatically, one after another, AND ensuring that they install in the correct order (x86 version installs, then x64 version installs, etc)?

I've attached a screenshot of my redists (so you can get an idea of my pain)...

I'd also like to find a way to batch install my MSU windows updates into a similiar package, or anything else automated...there are about 60 of them now...(Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

Thank you friends.

Oh sorry, I selected it, but forgot to hit "Attach This File" I guess...and yes, I know, beta test a LOT of software, and I have a lot of FSX add-ons and they aren't compatible, and I start running into errors with FSX when starting, and the list goes on Brother... :whistle:

post-204276-0-58235700-1351103799_thumb.

Edited by neowillendit

And I'm not quite following "Start / Wait" in a .cmd file...

Do I just type that exact phrase into a .txt file, rename the extension to .bat, and put it in the same folder as my VC++ Redists in EXE format and click the .bat to execute?

And then do the same thing for my MSU updates folder?

For example, here is a post where a user is using a batch file to run an .exe:

Also, to make things easier for me (although I suspect there is a thread in here for that too, but you can't search for "msu" within the forum) is here is a sample batch file to execute a folder full of .msu files:

Sorry too be thick here...what commands do I need from post #8 at thread you gave me for MSU installation?

Do I add my folder location to the .bat somehwere?

Also I feel like there is important info missing in that thread because of the thread starter using another language...

Also I feel like there is important info missing in that thread because of the thread starter using another language...

I don't know what that was about... but the entire thread I linked to may not be relevant, but that post seems to be. From what I understand, you have a folder with all the .MSU files in it (no subfolders), then you put that .cmd in that folder too. Since the .cmd and the .msu files are in the same location, you wouldn't need to set a path.

Hi Friends,

Got a strange OCD type question...I have collected a LOT of Visual C++ Redists over the years due to games that I play requiring specific exact versions, otherwise I get crashes and/or errors in the Event Log.

Whenever I have to install Windows 7 fresh (about every 3-6 months) and (repeated 3 times for 3 different PCs in my home) I have to go through the painstaking and mind numbing process of installing these redists one by one. I'm not familiar with CMD prompts, so could anyone help me with some way to install these redists (EXE files) automatically, one after another, AND ensuring that they install in the correct order (x86 version installs, then x64 version installs, etc)?

I've attached a screenshot of my redists (so you can get an idea of my pain)...

I'd also like to find a way to batch install my MSU windows updates into a similiar package, or anything else automated...there are about 60 of them now...(Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

Thank you friends.

Here you go this is a batch that I wrote that Installs each MSU one at a time, (btw you will need to add switches for your .exe C++ files) just run batch from your MSU Updates folder..Hope this helps!

Edited by DosProbie

Thank you very, very much DosProbie. This is exactly what I needed!! :thumbup:D:w00t:

Command lines and such always get the best of me...So in order to get this .cmd to work, what switches will I need to add to it?

Here you go, wrote this batch for your C++ files (Switch included), just create a Updates folder to your C: drive

with all your .exe C++ files and add this batch to it, create shortcut to batch to your desktop and run then watch

the magic :yes:.. Oh and if you need any additional switches You can use the Universal Switch Finder

from: http://www.filecrop.com/Universal-Silent-Switch-Finder-1.4.1.1.html

Hi DosProbie,

Good news!! The MSU.cmd worked PERFECTLY!!

But...the Visual.cmd, only half worked. The .cmd worked for all the 2008 and 2010 redists without hassle but errored on all my 2005 redists (due to M$ using different command line switches I can only guess).

Is there any way to add the functionality for the older 2005 redists in this Visual.cmd?

Edited by neowillendit

Hi DosProbie,

Good news!! The MSU.cmd worked PERFECTLY!!

But...the Visual.cmd, only half worked. The .cmd worked for all the 2008 and 2010 redists without hassle but errored on all my 2005 redists (due to M$ using different command line switches I can only guess).

Is there any way to add the functionality for the older 2005 redists in this Visual.cmd?

Send me the names of some of the 2005's over to me and I will check them out ..And also how many 2005's do you have?

Hello again :-)

You never sleep, just as I don't either!! haha

OK, well I have 16 total 2005 redists (there are 12 in the picture attached to this post, and 4 more that I haven't put in that folder because they are newer updates to prevent DLL spoofing, so 16 total).

If you think this is getting messy, just let me know, you've been such a big help to me, and it is very appreciated, so you've done MORE than I could've asked for. Again, just let me know if this is crazy crazy work to get these little buggers installing more easily

post-204276-0-06703000-1351245000_thumb.