Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Why you should avoid buying Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

LeaflameSD

LeaflameSD
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 15-October 12
TO BE EDITED.

1.)The Metro UI.
Now Windows 8 is supposed to be a complete reimagining of the Windows platform. New ideas, new logo (WHY!?), new everything... but the base stays the same. So what I'm trying to get at is... the HORRIBLE USER INTERFACE. Why Microsoft, Why? Do you realize that not EVERYONE has touchscreen devices, DO YOU!!?? Darn... it's IE 4 all over again.

2.)Removal of useful features/apps.
They did that in Windows Vista/7 but with Windows 8 Microsoft took it to the extreme. No Start Button? WHY!? Metro is taking over my screen with all this banner and full screen crap, but for what reason? So Microsoft can get more money! No Windows Gadgets? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Edited by LeaflameSD, 26 October 2012 - 04:56 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,022 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

You should avoid downloading a torrent of Windows 8 because IT IS ILLEGAL. :ph34r:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07
get explorer7 hack and u back on track :)

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

Now Windows 8 is supposed to be a complete reimagining of the Windows platform.

only newbies would fall for that
metro is only IE full screen UI

in other words its disaster waiting to happen :D
(ask yourself why Windows Neptune failed miserably)

Edited by vinifera, 25 October 2012 - 05:28 PM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

LeaflameSD

LeaflameSD
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 15-October 12
You mean Windows Me? Windows Me is WAY BETTER than this piece of crap.

Edited by LeaflameSD, 26 October 2012 - 04:49 AM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,876 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
No he means neptune...

Attached Files

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 26 October 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,022 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

No he means neptune...

That's interesting... I don't remember a Neptune. But it seems like Neptune has bad luck when it comes to products. Sega's Neptune never came out either. :)
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,876 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I only knew because I actually have a copy of nearly every os by MS. (Released or not)

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
How is Neptune related to Metro? :blink:

It was just an updated and modified version of Windows 2000 RTM.

post-47483-1123010975.png

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05
Windows ME, Vista and 8 are Microsoft's biggest OS failure, ME especially. 8 may have some potential but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.
PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

Shane

Shane

• 48 posts
  • Joined 10-July 11

It was just an updated and modified version of Windows 2000 RTM.

Some of the features in the MetroUI and the design paradigm in general can be seen to have their roots in Neptune, they weren't enabled by default but a couple of years back some developers found a way to enable a feature Microsoft were planning called "Activity Centers" which follow a somewhat similar paradigm to Metro.

i7-2700k @ 4.8 GHZ | Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 Board | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600mhz | 3GB PowerColor TurboDuo AMD Radeon R9 280X | 128GB OCZ Vector Boot SSD | Logitech Z506 Speakers | LG IPS224V 1080P IPS Monitor | Silverstone Olympia SST OP-1000 1KW PSU

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

both web based UI
both suck

sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 26-September 09
M$ has done wrong with the removal of the start button , linux - gnome did the same month ago and it was "not a sucess" as well.
metro should not be so bad but they should have made it more like the control-panel instead of the main-screen .

for the rest M$ is really doing like nvidia and physx [ not allowed if pc has an ati vga card..] with its new security-chain from boot that makes linux or even previous windows un-bootable .

physx case is very weird because M$ allows that and even signs drivers while in fact that is a VIRUS

Chrysalis

Chrysalis

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 20-September 03

Windows ME, Vista and 8 are Microsoft's biggest OS failure, ME especially. 8 may have some potential but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

vista's problem was poor driver adoption at launch and poor performance at launch, the GUI was fine so as such it eventually got fixed as the issues were considered bugs, by that definition windows 8 is worse as Microsoft don't consider design choices as bugs (unless it sells poorly) early indications are tho is windows 8 will have good takeup. I am personally surprised how many people are taking it up as it doesn't offer much to desktop users over windows 7 at all, its a novelty gimmick for people to play with on the GUI changes.

I am sticking with windows 7 but I do fear the fast drop of software support for the OS, Microsoft already indicating no SP2 for it, and 3rd party vendors I think will flock to windows 8.

So for that reason incase I am forced to change OS I am already looking to make windows 8 useable with 3rd party apps like start is back although the start menu it recovers does not behave the same as windows 7, eg. I don't see apps I am launching appearing in the recently used apps list automatically. Plus is still other issues such as dumbing down of explorer, themes and so on.

Couple of reasons I think windows 8 is getting better takeup than vista.

1 - Microsoft got the media onside, I rarely see a big media outlet saying something bad about the OS.
2 - Developers are onside by default as the app store be great for them to sell their apps and that it be used on phones also is another outlet for them. On my android eg. I can see 3rd party developers doing very well, most of development now days is on mobile apps. So clearly developers will consider windows 8 a good thing.

Edited by Chrysalis, 02 November 2012 - 04:55 PM.

Servelius

Servelius

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 12-October 12

IMHO Vista is better than 8, definitely nicer and cooler despite the fact it's a little slower on old hardware.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

I am sticking with windows 7 but I do fear the fast drop of software support for the OS, Microsoft already indicating no SP2 for it, and 3rd party vendors I think will flock to windows 8.

So for that reason incase I am forced to change OS

you're too paranoid

yes devs will make apps for win8, win7 won't be abandoned for a long time

the worst that can happen is that devs start massive making metro apps, which are actually very much crippled comparing to desktop/win32
which in other words again backfires to how win8 sucks

and even if SP2 for win7 don't come out, hotfixes will
hell win7 is proven to be next best OS after XP
so why would they shoot themself in legg over tablet OS

pfff

Edited by vinifera, 03 November 2012 - 09:20 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,296 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

IMHO Vista is better than 8, definitely nicer and cooler despite the fact it's a little slower on old hardware.

Agreed -- for me, Vista is much more interesting to look at for 8-10 hours a day.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 04 November 2012 - 04:35 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Vista is much more interesting to look at for 8-10 hours a day.

and even more if you use the Win8 RP Aero Theme:

Posted Image

http://m-awesome.dev...-8-RC-307893113
Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,296 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Vista is much more interesting to look at for 8-10 hours a day.

and even more if you use the Win8 RP Aero Theme:

Wow, that's for Vista!

I like the expanded and clear glass pane at the top, but from the screenshot this theme looks like it has the squared-off corners and the flattened buttons and flat HDD capacity bars. And no Start Button!!

Please fix this! Start button not appear after I apply the style!
I use Vista HP (Home Premuim 32bit)

Haha in Windows 8 there is no start button. I have set a transparent start button in vista. It is part of the theme. Look at updated version please

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 05 November 2012 - 10:25 PM.

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05
Why did Microsoft got rid of Aero in Windows 8? I really liked it, made Windows Vista/7 look prettier, yes I know it reduces performance (Does it?) but why get rid of it? Not liking the default theme of Windows 8, at all.
PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,022 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Why did Microsoft got rid of Aero in Windows 8? I really liked it, made Windows Vista/7 look prettier, yes I know it reduces performance (Does it?) but why get rid of it? Not liking the default theme of Windows 8, at all.

My guess is that they wanted to streamline all their products across the line, and there is already some confusion about RT and Desktop (such as people saying they will be buying a Surface and put an i5 into it).... So I am going to guess they got rid of Aero to save on GPU power usage... which is a consideration for battery life in the portable devices.
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

My guess is that they wanted to streamline all their products across the line, and there is already some confusion about RT and Desktop (such as people saying they will be buying a Surface and put an i5 into it).... So I am going to guess they got rid of Aero to save on GPU power usage... which is a consideration for battery life in the portable devices.

[ This rant is obviously not aimed at you Tripredacus! ]

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. We have often called this catering to the lowest common denominator.

Here in the States we have usually had at least two separate lines of automobiles produced in Detroit ( well, when they made lots of cars ). The normal car, and the California car with its ultra-stringent emissions and other heavy-handed regulations. If you were a performance motorhead lookiing for a used car, you did not go near a California model. Microsoft has essentially shutdown the 'normal' production line and only produces California cars.

I have a few laptops and netbooks using Win7 and Vista. For some strange reason power savings is of no concern to me because they are usually plugged in to power supplies. This is a concept that is suddenly unknown to the Microsoft geniuses as they have chosen to ignore such a scenario and conceptualized their new fangled Windows 8 as always running on neutered, low-powered, unplugged devices. It's as if their collective knowledge base has shutdown, and all the research they have completed on power management ( sensing when plugged in, boosting display, CPU, etc ) was suddenly flushed down the toilet.

I have more than a few "desktops" in various states of assembly using Win7 among other OS's. Interestingly, none of them use a battery for mains power. Nevertheless, if I were to install Windows 8, the OS would not be smart enough to detect this circumstance and utilize the full visual bells and whistles of Aero glass because those bells and whistles of Aero glass were amputated by bureaucrats in Redmond.

This perfectly describes "catering to the lowest common denominator". It can also be classified as a "death spiral" because they will end up chasing the most inferior devices into the abyss.

It also happens to be what drives many of us crazy when we hear MicroZombies say: "but the desktop is still there, it is exactly the same". That is downright insulting, and of course a complete lie.

Microsoft has chosen the path of inferiority over excellence now. They have shifted from a moderately exciting interface ( which still needed work ) to pandering to handheld toys of moderate battery life. They went from being an above-average restaurant to McDonalds or Dominos fast food overnight. Willingly. Gleefully. Completely of their own choosing.

I'll leave it to the actual softies to rationalize how it is impossible to accommodate both scenarios ( unplugged on battery versus plugged-in with no power limitations ), how they have decided to unlearn what they have already learned and perfected. After all, in Vista and Win7 no-one was forced to leave Aero and glass effects enabled, and they could not even use it under certain minimum specifications. So they must have decided that since some devices out there cannot use it, therefore, none of the devices out there shall use it.

Microsoft now obviously believes that "interface unification" is equal to "catering to the lowest common denominator". Congratulations Microsoft on your fall from excellence into mediocrity. You must be so proud. If Apple had set out to destroy you, they could not have done a better job than Sinofsky and his team of Windows destroyers.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

Chrysalis

Chrysalis

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 20-September 03

So for that reason incase I am forced to change OS

you're too paranoid

yes devs will make apps for win8, win7 won't be abandoned for a long time

the worst that can happen is that devs start massive making metro apps, which are actually very much crippled comparing to desktop/win32
which in other words again backfires to how win8 sucks

and even if SP2 for win7 don't come out, hotfixes will
hell win7 is proven to be next best OS after XP
so why would they shoot themself in legg over tablet OS

pfff

hotfixes are not a great substitute it takes effort to find them all as well as installing them plus install media gets very big when integrating them.

Dont get too confident on the 3rd party apps either.

Asides from windows 8 been newer the other changes this time are also an app store and this will tie in with mobile devices, look at the huge developer support android has compared to windows.

Windows 8 is a developers dream I think. Because they will sell much more software on it.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

Windows 8 is a developers dream I think.

I'll make a wild guess and say you aren't one. Because it's the *complete* opposite as far as I'm concerned. To me, Win8 is the beginning of the end. By itself, it's a good enough reason to abandon C# and the .NET framework for something that can also run on other OS'es which are still usable on a desktop (keeping support for Win7 obviously), and if mobile is attractive at all, even port easily to devices that actually sell i.e. Android or iOS based. With MS making the desktop a 2nd class citizen, and making WinRT incompatible with 100% of what we're using (all desktop and x86 apps) and making that laughable "replacement" model (Metro garbage, or whatever it's called this week) only work on Win8, it's a good reason to never bother with it. Doubly so when MS deprecates and abandons its newer development technologies so fast. I see zero interest in all other devs I know to make Metro apps either (in part because none of them want to be stuck using it on their desktop). And with MS making Win8 such a terrible OS on a desktop, I don't those sales exactly increasing either, which is just yet another reason to consider developing for iOS and Android instead.

TL;DR: Win8 is a developer's nightmare.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,164 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

TL;DR: Win8 is a developer's nightmare.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users