Getting Windows ME to work on Dell Optiplex GX270?

ZortMcGort11

Does anybody know if Windows ME is compatible with a Dell Optiplex GX270 computer?

Right now it has Windows XP on it. And I'd just as soon get rid of that awful OS.

Some specs....

Processor = Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz (architecture: x86; 2593 MHz)

Physical memory = 1022.0 MB (4 x 256 Dimm)

Disk = WDC WD400BB-75FRA0 (37.3 GB)

Video = Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller (1280x768x32b)

Multimedia = SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Yes... find the correct drivers (may/may not be difficult). Look into gathering and installing all of the updates. Start with just installing the basic OS and go from there. Stick with this thread if you get stuck along the way.

note: Windows 98SE drivers may/may-not work fine.

Thank you for replying.

I'm going to search google to see if there's any Win9x drivers for the Dell graphics card... otherwise, I probably won't format the hard drive UNTIL I find a suitable Win9x compatible graphics card. Any suggestions anybody?

As far as the memory is concerned... is 1 Gigabyte too much for Windows ME? I'd be happy to remove half of the RAM if it prevents me from having to do more work and "debugging" later. I know for certain that 512 MB is feasible, since I already have another WinME computer with that much ram. I'm trying to keep it simple here. :-)

Again thanks. And I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to search google to see if there's any Win9x drivers for the Dell graphics card... otherwise, I probably won't format the hard drive UNTIL I find a suitable Win9x compatible graphics card. Any suggestions anybody?

Anything ATI up to the X850XT or anything nVidia up to the 6800 Ultra with last official drivers or the 7950 GT 256MB with the unofficial beta drivers.

As far as the memory is concerned... is 1 Gigabyte too much for Windows ME? I'd be happy to remove half of the RAM if it prevents me from having to do more work and "debugging" later. I know for certain that 512 MB is feasible, since I already have another WinME computer with that much ram. I'm trying to keep it simple here. :-)

1GB of RAM shouldn't be a problem for installing WinME. After that you can limit the RAM to 1995MB in system.ini (MaxPhysPage=7CB00 under [386Enh] section) and add another 1GB.

If you want to use more RAM than that later and/or use a 512MB graphic card, you'll need the RAM patch by Rudolf Loew.

Edited by loblo

If it's the Small Form Factor [of the] Dell Optiplex GX270

don't be surprised if you get random freezes/crashes/reboots

- that model was infamous for failing/bulged capacitors on

the motherboard & inside its (SFF) PSU, e.g.;

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=450&highlight=gx270

-to-

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=450&highlight=gx270&page=6

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20102&highlight=gx270

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22348&highlight=gx270

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23283&highlight=gx270

If you have problems with it, I'd think hardware would be more likely than software.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the above poster: yes, this is a small form factor Dell.

I successfully installed Windows ME today on the Dell Optiplex GX270.

Okay, got Windows ME installed after F-Disking the hard drive and reformatting. I found the drivers for "Intel 82865g graphics card" but they just caused the computer to hang. I couldn't get Windows to boot any longer.

The file/drivers I used where from here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=1044&DwnldID=7008&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+82865G+Graphics+and+Memory+Controller+Hub+(GMCH)&OSFullname=Windows+Me*〈=eng

specifically the file "WIN9X1361.ZIP"

it didn't work.

Well, it was nice to try and get this thing to work. But it's probably cheaper to just buy a copy of Windows 2000 professional. It's better than XP (IMO) and I might not have to spend money hunting for compatible graphics cards, sound cards, drivers, etc. etc.

So I may just settle for Windows 2000 professional. :-(

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Get THIS and THIS. (Last Intel Chipset Utility for 98SE/ME and Intel Graphics Driver for an 865GLC Motherboard).

Report your results.

I have seen cases where OEM's will somehow "slightly" modify hardware just enough so that the original manufacturer's drivers do not work properly. Maybe that's why the Intel graphics drivers you downloaded already aren't working. :unsure:

Edited by LoneCrusader

In response to the above poster: yes, this is a small form factor Dell.

I successfully installed Windows ME today on the Dell Optiplex GX270.

Okay, got Windows ME installed after F-Disking the hard drive and reformatting. I found the drivers for "Intel 82865g graphics card" but they just caused the computer to hang. I couldn't get Windows to boot any longer.

The file/drivers I used where from here:

http://downloadcente...oller+Hub+(GMCH)&OSFullname=Windows+Me*〈=eng

specifically the file "WIN9X1361.ZIP"

it didn't work.

Well, it was nice to try and get this thing to work. But it's probably cheaper to just buy a copy of Windows 2000 professional. It's better than XP (IMO) and  I might not have to spend money hunting for compatible graphics cards, sound cards, drivers, etc. etc.

So I may just settle for Windows 2000 professional. :-(

The "onboard IDE operate mode" must set to compatible in BIOS, because ME only supports four IDE devices (Enhanced Mode = six devices). Hyperthreading (HT) (CPU feature) can cause a problem, too. ME doesn't support HT. Make sure, that HT is disabled in BIOS. And check the BIOS ACPI/APIC settings. Something like "ACPI 2.0" must be disabled.

To LoneCrusader:

I tried both THAT and THAT as you suggested, but unfortunately all I got was a Blue-Screen-Of-Death. "Windows Protection Error." First time getting that message.... must've really messed it up good :-)

Thanks though. :-) All suggestions welcome.

To Schwups:

Tomorrow I will check the BIOS for the options you mentioned and see if I can change them. For now, I'm tired. Time for bed. Have a good evening/morning/whatever you guys.

The "onboard IDE operate mode" must set to compatible in BIOS, because ME only supports four IDE devices (Enhanced Mode = six devices). Hyperthreading (HT) (CPU feature) can cause a problem, too. ME doesn't support HT. Make sure, that HT is disabled in BIOS. And check the BIOS ACPI/APIC settings. Something like "ACPI 2.0" must be disabled.

HT setting doesn't matter. I always leave it enabled on my machines because I multi-boot with other systems that can use HT; and even Win95 has no issues with it.

I tried both THAT and THAT as you suggested, but unfortunately all I got was a Blue-Screen-Of-Death. "Windows Protection Error." First time getting that message.... must've really messed it up good :-)

Thanks though. :-) All suggestions welcome.

You should also reduce your RAM to 512MB or less until you get everything installed properly. It's possible to use more, but I've never had any luck using more than that without RLoew's RAM patch. There are ways of doing so, but they should be left for experimentation once the installation is complete.

Concerning the RAM....

Windows ME installed without issue, except of course that it loaded in VGA mode. But it worked. It wasn't until I installed the graphics drivers that the system crashed and wouldn't even boot.

If the memory was the issue, why would it wait until after I installed the graphics drivers to crash? Wouldn't it simply crash upon installation, or least right afterwards?

That being said, removing a memory chip is easy enough and I'm willing to do that. But at this point I'd rather not bother.

I might give this computer to a friend of mine. He's an older gentleman that doesn't know hardly anything about computers. He has a "twelve year old computer" according to him, and he keeps getting messages that he's running out of virtual memory. He could be low on RAM, or his hard drive could be getting full. Either way, I think this Dell would be a nice thing to give him. Therefore, I'll probably put something newer and easier on it for him?

Since I can't make it my Win9x fun-toy without a bunch of hassle... instead I'd like to do something useful with the Dell Optiplex Gx270. Could it handle Windows 7 or Vista ? I'd like to give it to my friend to help him out.

HT setting doesn't matter. I always leave it enabled on my machines because I multi-boot with other systems that can use HT; and even Win95 has no issues with it.

On some of my machines ME doesn't boot, if HT is enabled. I think it depends on the motherboard/BIOS.