Guide to build XP/SP3 setup drivers included and more;

cozinbob2

I found site and think it might be very helpful. Aimed at the not so technical user ie; newbs like myself. It uses a driver packs method of intergrating mass storage drivers ie; ahci sata hard drive systems. driverpacks dot net/ If this isn't under the correct forums page please move it to whatever page you think is best. As far as the title change it to whatever you like I do not care about that as well. Whatever makes all you people happy do it. bye

Edited by cozinbob2

No offense, but that's a bit dated... Everyone here knows about the DriverPacks and -X- (among others) has a much better method of keeping XP up-to-date. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "guide" either.

Try the SEARCH (the "gear" in the upper-right) to see what I mean. OR browse the associated forums. LOTS of "stickies" for just that. ;)

Thx, anyway. :D

No offense, but that's a bit dated... Everyone here knows about the DriverPacks and -X- (among others) has a much better method of keeping XP up-to-date. I wouldn't necessarily call that a "guide" either.

Try the SEARCH (the "gear" in the upper-right) to see what I mean. OR browse the associated forums. LOTS of "stickies" for just that. ;)

Thx, anyway. :D

Where is the guide on using the driver packs method to update XP setup? Also when I finish updating XP/SP3 setup there are just a small number of updates to download and most are net frameworks patches. And the setup disc is a universal install, and not Intel/Amd specific. How can this way not be a much better method to build a XP/SP3 setup disc in that respect? As far as being a bit dated, the operating system has been around for 11 years and that is dated as well. All in all it still works very well, even on new systems/hardware except for SSD's, but that can be worked around. No offense but I fully disagree with you.

Lets JUST look at the title "Guide"

A proper "Guide" would have the following:

Step by step methodology.

Pictures on parts that cannot be described properly.

Links, links and more links (Plus a bit of references).

Advice on the "Shouldn't" of nLite-ing...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I guess you need pictures. Sorry, it is a guide and a very good guide. Did you (read) it all and notice the posts on page two? It speaks for itself. Again where is a guide like this on this forums? Show me the so called stickies. Please and Thank You!

Let's see. :unsure:

I simply cannot read something so fragmented with:

GA-Z68Xp-UD3-issd(4,413MhzOC),i5-2500k,Cooler Master Hyper 212+CPU cooler,Gigabyte AMD-5850OC-X2(crossfire) VC, Patriot-G2 1600 2x4 DDR3 ram, 500g WD program HDD, PSU= 760w, Windows-7/64bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

every two or three lines.

So here it is in a single chunk, with a blank line between posts and in red comments NOT by the Author

I own 1 XP Professional OEM Gold cd and XP Home/SP2 Update cd. With each I installed Nlite and slipped streamed them both with SP3 and made 2 new setup cd's one of each of course just to be clear. The question I hear a lot is "Do I have to slip stream my gold XP with SP1 first then SP2 before SP3?" NO, YOU DO NOT! OK, I feel better now. I for got to and really should have mentioned what I did before I did the for mentioned slip stream upgrade to SP3 level XPSP3 setup cd.

It is wise that you create two new folders(not on your desktop) on the C-Drive if that is all you have or one of the storage drives in your system. "Why two folders?" Because as the title states we are going to make a XPSP4 install DVD, and it is going to be over 700mgrz. Now when you create these 2 folders name them anything but keep it easy and one-piece (no space) like XPSP3 and for the other DriverPacks. That was a hint. Very good grasshopper.

If you don't have burning program to burn the image you make, Nlite has a built-in burner. I have used it and it works very nicely.

Do you have a new slipped streamed version on cd? Good or did you already have XPSP3 setup cd? If you have a extracted copy of the previous CD in your folder (appropriately named for what ever you choose to identify this folder) delete the contents so we may begin to make our XPSP4 DVD setup disc.

Why are we going to all the trouble? After all XP is over 10 years old and most people have abandoned it for Vista (ouch) or Windows-7. Because Most gamers still are on it because 1 they have old games that do not install on Win-7 and 2 games run better on XP. Not my opinion but it is the opinion of most gamers. For now games are able to install on XPSP3, but probably not for long. When that time comes then I will be forced to let XP die.

Just to refresh: do you have 2 new folders appropriately named? You are going to run a fresh instance of nlite and extract XPSP3 to the XPSP3 folder. You will be using the DriverPacks folder last then one last time start nlite to make the finale XPSP4 setup disc ISO image. See isn't this easy? Why is it necessary? First let me state we do not have to use the driver packs to accomplish this, but I love how we can intregrate more than just the Sata controller drivers to get XP to install on current new hardware. Even if you do not need these Sata drivers one can still make this for an updated XPSP3 install saves a bunch of time.

You will be needing installed a torrent program in order to download the driver pack files. I use Utorrent. It does what I want to do. Oh gosh, I just thought of something very important. I apologize. I am writing this off the cuff. I can't edit, or arrange things. This post should have been first. You have to run all of this on XP only. Stop and do not go any further if you are running something else. Again, sorry folks.

I am not a professional writer and this is truely hard for me to do. My spelling is very bad and I do not have a college education. My mind is getting tired now and if I continue now things will only get worse, so Bye for now. I will return with all the good stuff later.

There is an alternative if you want to try this on Win-7. I do not have any experience with this so you will be on your own. Remember google is your friend. Install virtualbox on win-7. Install XP inside virtual box. Running XP on win-7 in virtualbox-try doing all this. You will find you will need framework2 on XP. I did not mention this but it occurred to me some people do not have it. If you want to include MP-11 that has to be ran by itself. Here is a link for this http://www.boooggy.org/slipstreamer/ . Go to microsoft and get MP-11 setup. I also download all the updates needed for MP-11. When running MP-11 slipstreamer it has what it takes to intragrate them all.

Here's where to get driver packs.. http://driverpacks.net/ Try and donate if it is possible. I download the latest and most importantly the mass storage drivers. Alternatively but not at all needed and this is why I end up with a DVD I include the chipset drivers, AMD CPU, lan, graphics-A, Nvidia physics, lan, W-less, and sound-A drivers. If you only want as you will only need mass-storage then it will be a cd size setup disc.

I do a more comprehensive setup and include things like IE-8 onepeice and net framework 1,2, and 3 onepiece, but here I am going to give basic instructions. I really don't want to write a book now. You have extracted your XPSP3 to a folder named XPSP3. You have the driver packs you want downloaded and ready to use. You will get the driver packs ready, but are not going to run the process now. To prepare, go to the site and under downloads get the application 10.06 and start it up and the first thing that pops up is where you choose that DriverPacks folder you made early on. This is not running the program it is placing the files need for it to run. The drivers you have downloaded through a torrent of choice are now ready to be copied in the folder created by the application. In the folder you directed it to write files in see the folder called (driver packs)? Copy or move all the individual files you have there except for one. Nvidia physics goes in the folder called (Third Party). DO NOT click on the Driver Packs icon in there yet as this will begin the run. But you now have it ready to run.

Another important file is needed to be included when we start nlite. It has all the patches released post SP3, and if you wait a few days it will be updated with todays patches as well... http://xable.net/ If you want MP-11 you can run it by itself now or later. OK start nlite. Point it to the folder you have XPSP3 click next and choose intergrate files, patches, themes , and so on. Click next, click insert, and find the SP3 update file from Xable. Do this for any other file you want to include (I have many) each time clicking insert. When you are done click next to proceed on. That's basically it although I do a lot more with nlite like; options, tweaks, remove, but like I said I have been using this tool for over 6 years so long I really can not remember. In a nut shell you have your source updated now and it is time to go in that DriverPacks folder and click on the icon to start that to run. Now it is done you start nlite and create the ISO image. Even if you don't have a burner program nlite provides a built in burner too. I have used it and it does the job. You are done with the Custom XPSP4 setup disc. GOOD luck and happy computing my friends.

Xable has the Dec. 2011 pack ready

Now for the other way to build XPSP4 setup disc. The Dec 2011 is ready. You can find with google copy and paste(xpsp3 onepiece update pack enu.). Careful not to get the Ita. version unless you install in Itilian of course. Link.. http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/5143-addon-onepiece-xp-post-sp3-aio-update-pack-v530/

I made another XPSP4 setup DVD today, and it was perfect. Unattended totally (after selecting the hard drive part that is) and everything installed without a glitch.

Very nice, that does make it easy

Sure does no drivers to install too

Yes it makes doing an install a peace of cake. Makeing the setup disc is kind of difficult as there are a few gotch-ya's that I have overcome. The unnattended part has one. When going through that part you will come across a (OEM Preinstall). This needs to be disabled. It is enabled by default. you need to choose (Fully Automatic) in mode. In computer name hit shift/8. Just to mention a few.

This helped me alot thank you as well

*whatever* you can call that, it seems to me NOT a "guide" or "tutorial", but a Forum thread misused as a personal Blog. :w00t:

At least now it is readable :thumbup .

A version with the unrelated parts stripped out follows:

I own 1 XP Professional OEM Gold cd and XP Home/SP2 Update cd. With each I installed Nlite and slipped streamed them both with SP3 and made 2 new setup cd's one of each of course just to be clear. The question I hear a lot is "Do I have to slip stream my gold XP with SP1 first then SP2 before SP3?" NO, YOU DO NOT!

It is wise that you create two new folders(not on your desktop) on the C-Drive if that is all you have or one of the storage drives in your system. "Why two folders?" Because as the title states we are going to make a XPSP4 install DVD, and it is going to be over 700mgrz. Now when you create these 2 folders name them anything but keep it easy and one-piece (no space) like XPSP3 and for the other DriverPacks. That was a hint.

Do you have a new slipped streamed version on cd? Good or did you already have XPSP3 setup cd? If you have a extracted copy of the previous CD in your folder (appropriately named for what ever you choose to identify this folder) delete the contents so we may begin to make our XPSP4 DVD setup disc.

Just to refresh: do you have 2 new folders appropriately named? You are going to run a fresh instance of nlite and extract XPSP3 to the XPSP3 folder. You will be using the DriverPacks folder last then one last time start nlite to make the finale XPSP4 setup disc ISO image. See isn't this easy? Why is it necessary? First let me state we do not have to use the driver packs to accomplish this, but I love how we can intregrate more than just the Sata controller drivers to get XP to install on current new hardware. Even if you do not need these Sata drivers one can still make this for an updated XPSP3 install saves a bunch of time.

You will be needing installed a torrent program in order to download the driver pack files. I use Utorrent. It does what I want to do.

You have to run all of this on XP only. Stop and do not go any further if you are running something else.

There is an alternative if you want to try this on Win-7. I do not have any experience with this so you will be on your own. Remember google is your friend. Install virtualbox on win-7. Install XP inside virtual box. Running XP on win-7 in virtualbox-try doing all this. You will find you will need framework2 on XP. I did not mention this but it occurred to me some people do not have it. If you want to include MP-11 that has to be ran by itself. Here is a link for this http://www.boooggy.org/slipstreamer/ . Go to microsoft and get MP-11 setup. I also download all the updates needed for MP-11. When running MP-11 slipstreamer it has what it takes to intragrate them all.

Here's where to get driver packs.. http://driverpacks.net/ Try and donate if it is possible. I download the latest and most importantly the mass storage drivers. Alternatively but not at all needed and this is why I end up with a DVD I include the chipset drivers, AMD CPU, lan, graphics-A, Nvidia physics, lan, W-less, and sound-A drivers. If you only want as you will only need mass-storage then it will be a cd size setup disc.

I do a more comprehensive setup and include things like IE-8 onepeice and net framework 1,2, and 3 onepiece, but here I am going to give basic instructions.

You have extracted your XPSP3 to a folder named XPSP3. You have the driver packs you want downloaded and ready to use. You will get the driver packs ready, but are not going to run the process now. To prepare, go to the site and under downloads get the application 10.06 and start it up and the first thing that pops up is where you choose that DriverPacks folder you made early on. This is not running the program it is placing the files need for it to run. The drivers you have downloaded through a torrent of choice are now ready to be copied in the folder created by the application. In the folder you directed it to write files in see the folder called (driver packs)? Copy or move all the individual files you have there except for one. Nvidia physics goes in the folder called (Third Party). DO NOT click on the Driver Packs icon in there yet as this will begin the run. But you now have it ready to run.

Another important file is needed to be included when we start nlite. It has all the patches released post SP3, and if you wait a few days it will be updated with todays patches as well... http://xable.net/ If you want MP-11 you can run it by itself now or later. OK start nlite. Point it to the folder you have XPSP3 click next and choose intergrate files, patches, themes , and so on. Click next, click insert, and find the SP3 update file from Xable. Do this for any other file you want to include (I have many) each time clicking insert. When you are done click next to proceed on. That's basically it although I do a lot more with nlite like; options, tweaks, remove, but like I said I have been using this tool for over 6 years so long I really can not remember. In a nut shell you have your source updated now and it is time to go in that DriverPacks folder and click on the icon to start that to run. Now it is done you start nlite and create the ISO image. Even if you don't have a burner program nlite provides a built in burner too. I have used it and it does the job. You are done with the Custom XPSP4 setup disc. GOOD luck and happy computing my friends.

Now for the other way to build XPSP4 setup disc. The Dec 2011 is ready. You can find with google copy and paste(xpsp3 onepiece update pack enu.). Careful not to get the Ita. version unless you install in Itilian of course. Link.. http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/topic/5143-addon-onepiece-xp-post-sp3-aio-update-pack-v530/

Yes it makes doing an install a peace of cake. Makeing the setup disc is kind of difficult as there are a few gotch-ya's that I have overcome. The unnattended part has one. When going through that part you will come across a (OEM Preinstall). This needs to be disabled. It is enabled by default. you need to choose (Fully Automatic) in mode. In computer name hit shift/8. Just to mention a few.

How this can be useful to a complete newbie is of course - like beauty - in the eye of the beholder.

Personally - presuming I am a bit further than the newbie stage and notwithstanding the fact that I am already largely familiar with all the tools and procedures mentioned (and a quite few more not mentioned ;)) - it looks to me like nothing more than a quick "checklist".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

This bashing of a guide doesn't answer my request for the sticky of a better so called guide in here. As far as the fragmenting it was done that way to simplify questions for the reader. The person could refer to the post number and ask could that be explained in another way? Or I don't understand a part of a certain post. Could you clear up this part for me? However, thank you for editing it, as I think it is better the way you developed it. I do not care what it is called(guide-checklist) as long as it gives someone help making a XP/SP3 setup disc that installs on modern systems ie; ahci mass storage controllers.

Right on the front page of the Forum Board a little down is "Shared Links"/"Most" and the one at the very top is "Unlimited Number Of Drivers" topic, second post by Bashrat has in his Signature a link to DriverPacks Forum. At the top of that is the main DriverPacks link which gives the Downloads link.

Now for the AHCI stuff... Right here is the nLite subforum with Intel and nVidia topics, the FAQ Kel gave the link to (which includes RyanVM Add-On links, -X-'s Updates, the WMP11 Integrator that is in the topic you pointed to, etc. etc.), and a complete nLite Reference Guide.

On the Forum Board page (again) below the nLite subforum link (where this Topic is, BTW) is "jcarle's Windows Updates Downloader" and Kel's WPI (Windows Post-Install Wizard, used for selectively adding almost anything you wish to add after installation).

In fact, the links in the Topic you linked to includes many members that also frequent the MSFN Forum and post links to their own (or others) packages, including WinCert. We are all very aware of OnePiece as well and the fact that the poster of that Update Pack is "nonno fabio" who is also a member here AND the link to RyanVM INCLUDES that very self-same Update Package (bet you didn't look, did you?).

There IS no all-encompassing "guide"/"checklist" as it depends on the needs of a given member's OS and Software, hence the "breakdown" of the subforums here. Use one or more softwares and methods as you wish and when you get "stuck" simply request assistance in the appropriate subforum and one or more "experts" will assist you.

Example:

"I have such-and-such OS and I want to integrate yada-yada. How do I go about that? I have read the Stickies and some of the Topics and am a bit confused."

Note that the above is WAY too generic and will prompt members to ask for more specific information such as Hardware, OS Version, etc etc.

Your "so-called better guide" sticky is already here - see nLite and OTHER subforums and stickies - they ARE already there. See FAQ as was given... I suppose some OTHER external links could be given in it (or at least mentioned) BUT... here at MSFN we are NOT allowed to link to what MIGHT be considered warez/non-distributable hence the MS/Other Software DIRECT LINKS being used rather that "pre-downloaded and stored elsewhere" or built directly from the Vendors' (e.g. MS, Adobe, etc.) as is the case of -X-'s list/downloads and jcarle's WUD. Right there in the Forum Rules, you see...

Again, no offense, but (nearly) EVERYTHING you need is right here. ;)

Addendum - Mentioning for your information "Siginet Forum" and "Reboot Forum" as also well-known here and linked to in many a Topic on MSFN. You/your topic are NOT being "bashed" just being educated. Your Request Is Already Fulfilled.

edit - and granted the "Search" leaves a lot to be desired but if you use Google (instead) just add

site:www.msfn.org

to your search to help find topics/posts easier.

edit2 - FYI the DriverPacks can be un-7zipped and the individual driver contents used directly in nLite. ;)

Edited by submix8c

+1

Lemma impart some history to you:

Drivers packs? Bashrat the sneaky started them HERE.

Update packs? RyanVM started them HERE.

nLite\vLite? Nuhi Started them HERE.

WMP Slipstreamer? Started at Ryans but from Boooogy who started HERE.

Siginet? Yup HERE.

Xable? Yeah started HERE...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

+1

Lemma impart some history to you:

Drivers packs? Bashrat the sneaky started them HERE.

Update packs? RyanVM started them HERE.

nLite\vLite? Nuhi Started them HERE.

WMP Slipstreamer? Started at Ryans but from Boooogy who started HERE.

Siginet? Yup HERE.

Xable? Yeah started HERE...

That's great thanks for the info and so the point is?

Right on the front page of the Forum Board a little down is "Shared Links"/"Most" and the one at the very top is "Unlimited Number Of Drivers" topic, second post by Bashrat has in his Signature a link to DriverPacks Forum. At the top of that is the main DriverPacks link which gives the Downloads link.

Now for the AHCI stuff... Right here is the nLite subforum with Intel and nVidia topics, the FAQ Kel gave the link to (which includes RyanVM Add-On links, -X-'s Updates, the WMP11 Integrator that is in the topic you pointed to, etc. etc.), and a complete nLite Reference Guide.

On the Forum Board page (again) below the nLite subforum link (where this Topic is, BTW) is "jcarle's Windows Updates Downloader" and Kel's WPI (Windows Post-Install Wizard, used for selectively adding almost anything you wish to add after installation).

In fact, the links in the Topic you linked to includes many members that also frequent the MSFN Forum and post links to their own (or others) packages, including WinCert. We are all very aware of OnePiece as well and the fact that the poster of that Update Pack is "nonno fabio" who is also a member here AND the link to RyanVM INCLUDES that very self-same Update Package (bet you didn't look, did you?).

There IS no all-encompassing "guide"/"checklist" as it depends on the needs of a given member's OS and Software, hence the "breakdown" of the subforums here. Use one or more softwares and methods as you wish and when you get "stuck" simply request assistance in the appropriate subforum and one or more "experts" will assist you.

Example:

"I have such-and-such OS and I want to integrate yada-yada. How do I go about that? I have read the Stickies and some of the Topics and am a bit confused."

Note that the above is WAY too generic and will prompt members to ask for more specific information such as Hardware, OS Version, etc etc.

Your "so-called better guide" sticky is already here - see nLite and OTHER subforums and stickies - they ARE already there. See FAQ as was given... I suppose some OTHER external links could be given in it (or at least mentioned) BUT... here at MSFN we are NOT allowed to link to what MIGHT be considered warez/non-distributable hence the MS/Other Software DIRECT LINKS being used rather that "pre-downloaded and stored elsewhere" or built directly from the Vendors' (e.g. MS, Adobe, etc.) as is the case of -X-'s list/downloads and jcarle's WUD. Right there in the Forum Rules, you see...

Again, no offense, but (nearly) EVERYTHING you need is right here. ;)

Addendum - Mentioning for your information "Siginet Forum" and "Reboot Forum" as also well-known here and linked to in many a Topic on MSFN. You/your topic are NOT being "bashed" just being educated. Your Request Is Already Fulfilled.

edit - and granted the "Search" leaves a lot to be desired but if you use Google (instead) just add

site:www.msfn.org

to your search to help find topics/posts easier.

edit2 - FYI the DriverPacks can be un-7zipped and the individual driver contents used directly in nLite. ;)

Fantastic! Thanks! You the man!