Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Roaming Profiles in Mixed XP, Windows 7 ,Windows 8 Environment

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

dubsdj

dubsdj

MCITP

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 26-June 07
I thought to share my initial discoveries when using roaming profiles in a hot seat XP, Windows 7, 8 enivironment.

I read somewhere that Microsoft said it cannot be done and windows 8 profiles would have to be seperated from the Windows 7.v2 ones... However I have been testing this and it works really well and makes use of the V2 profiles absolutely fine.
****EDIT

I AM WRONG, NO IT DOESN'T... I HAVE NOTICED SOME REALLY ODD BEHAVIOR INCLUDING, MISSING REDIRECTED BACKGROUNDS AND MENUS NOT POPPING UP JUST TO NAME A COUPLE..

SO YES THE PROFILES MUST BE SEPARATE AFTER ALL*

TO FIX THIS I HAVE CREATED A COMPUTER GROUP POLICY FOR THE WINDOWS 8 COMPUTERS WHICH POINTS TO AN ALTERNATIVE ROAMING PROFILE. THIS FIXES ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH USERS WINDOWS 7 PROFILES BEING MUDDLED UP WITH WINDOWS 8 PROFILES.

EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE THE SAME .V2 NAME, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME...

PS.. ALL EXISTING LOCAL PROFILES STORED ON THE WINDOWS 8 COMPUTERS MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE TRYING TO REDIRECT WINDOWS 8 PROFILES USING GROUP POLICY... IMPORTANT.....

THOUGHT I SHOULD EDIT MY POST WITH THIS NEWS

****** END OF EDIT

some problems that I have noticed.

PROBLEM 1
--------------------
start menu redirection gets broken completely. I had to redesign my way of doing this:

Solution
-------------

1stly.. create 3 OU's (Well had done this anyway but)

one OU called Windows 7 Workstations

one OU called Windows 8 Workstations

one OU called Windows XP workstations

created a windows XP policy (loopback enabled,) linked it to WindowsXP Workstations OU

created a windows 7 policy (loopback enabled, enforced) linked it to Windows 7 Workstations OU

created a windows 8 policy (loopback enabled , enforced) linked it to Windows 8 Workstations OU

The reason loopback is enabled is because XP user specific Policies with folder redirection causes all sorts of problems when applying to Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC's...

I created a folder with the shortcuts in it and put it in a readable area.
then made a batch file on computer startup gpo for both the Windows 7 and Windows 8 policy

The batch file looks like this:

@echo off

copy /y "\\mydomain.local\NETLOGON\Menus\Start-Menu-Shortcuts-Windows-7-8\*.*" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\"

exit

now roaming users can log into either Windows 7 or 8 PC's and get icons in the start / apps menu without a problem. And they actually work when you click on them!
and because it's on the computer startup script it doesn't really interfere with anything and takes a fraction of a second to run...

PROBLEM 2
-------------------
restricted users are able to install apps... This could potentially be a headache but I haven't investigated it enough yet..

That's it for now but I will post any other discoveries that I make...

Edited by dubsdj, 08 November 2012 - 04:57 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users