Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

switch from Windows XP 64 Bit Edition to anything else

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

colore

colore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
hello!

Windows XP 64 Bit Edition seems to be the worst OS ever, in terms of compatibility

drivers, software, and so on are not compatible at all

so, i definately need to switch to any other WinOS, but without losing my files, settings, apps

is it possible???

thanks!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

so, i definately need to switch to any other WinOS, but without losing my files, settings, apps

That is most likely the basis of your issues...

For a decent change to a whole new OS you would need to flush your system and reset all of the settings. (Yes you could keep file and MOST programs will still work) But having old settings will bite you is the @ss.

colore

colore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
isnt there supposed to be a "migration" method to move to Win7 or something that supposedly satisfies these needs?

or maybe a rollback to WinXP 32bit?

Edited by colore, 07 November 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Roll back?? Hell no. Would never work.

Upgrade? Lets think.. XP x64 was released 7.5 years ago. Since then there has been 2 major OS releases and LOTS (Tons really) of changes and modifications. You will run into the same kind of issues especially if some of them are caused by settings.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,909 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Have you thought of upgrading to Windows 7 x64? I had always found XP x64 to be used only as needed. I also remember some incompatibilities with it.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Actually it seems to be completely impossible to upgrade the system. You always need to do a clean installation. Even Vista x64 doesn't support upgrading from it:

http://windows.micro...o-Windows-Vista
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
I would have thought that the migration tool was designed for that:
http://technet.micro...2(v=ws.10).aspx
though I have NO idea about it's compatibility with the (IMHO) senseless 64 bit OS's, apparently at least up to Vista :ph34r: they are supported:
http://technet.micro...0(v=ws.10).aspx

jaclaz

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Joined 05-April 11
I must be very lucky. I have an HP xw8200 (with two Xeon CPUs) that works flawlessly with Windows XP x64 Edition. Now I am not a gamer, and I don't run too much fringe software, but I have a GREAT user experience with this OS. I understand the compatibility and driver issues, but if you can get past them, I think Windows XP x64 Edition makes for a terrific and VERY stable OS.

Am I wrong folks?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Am I wrong folks?

Why should you be (or anyone else for that matters) be wrong, you are reporting your opinion, based on your experience.
I guess everyone is happy for your satisfying experience :).

This doesn't in any way negates how colore's experience was seemingly dreadful :ph34r:, nor my personal opinion that in most cases using a 64 bit OS gives not any practical advantage, or if you prefer is/was UNneeded and - in times of Windows XP - it was actually very rare to find suitable hardware and thus a PITA.

My crystal ball - though foggy - tells me that soon someone will post something like:

Hah! But with a 32 OS you cannot access memory beyond 3Gb!

and some other of the usual 64 bit fanboyism, so - as a preventive measure :whistle: - I will post a couple links:
http://reboot.pro/17568/
http://reboot.pro/16..._25#entry151030

jaclaz

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
While undoubtedly it is marginally slower, I really use alot more ram when I am testing 2 or 3 VM's at a time. I have used up to 80% of the 16gigs I have in my system.

colore

colore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06

My crystal ball - though foggy - tells me that soon someone will post something like:

Hah! But with a 32 OS you cannot access memory beyond 3Gb!

and some other of the usual 64 bit fanboyism, so - as a preventive measure :whistle: - I will post a couple links:

jaclaz

you are saying that Win7 32bit can handle more physical RAM? how? what is the upper limit? there will be no problems at all?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

you are saying that Win7 32bit can handle more physical RAM? how? what is the upper limit? there will be no problems at all?

I said READ the given links (AND links within them) then take your own decisions/conclusions/whatever, only please don't give me the usual "32 bit systems cannot access more than 4 Gb of RAM" or the usual generic "64 bit is better".

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Unfortunately some applications are still single-threaded and require a lot of RAM too :} so sometimes a 32-bit Windows may be not enough.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Unfortunately some applications are still single-threaded and require a lot of RAM too :} so sometimes a 32-bit Windows may be not enough.

Good, another one having not read the given links. :thumbup
I cannot post a direct link to the relevant info, because for *any* reason it is considered "hostile" by MSFN.
But I can point you to a related MS KB:
http://support.micro...kb/888137/en-us

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
I haven't read the links carefully because I'm not interested in this topic that much :w00t:

But I do know from my testing that a 32-bit browser (Opera, Firefox) will crash once it reaches ~1,7 GB of RAM usage (2,4 GB when /3GB enabled) and this is not the case when a 64-bit version is used, is it?
Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I haven't read the links carefully because I'm not interested in this topic that much :w00t:

But you feel like commenting on them nonetheless, "mostly illogical, but fascinating nonetheless" my good friend Spock would comment :whistle: .

But I do know from my testing that a 32-bit browser (Opera, Firefox) will crash once it reaches ~1,7 GB of RAM usage (2,4 GB when /3GB enabled) and this is not the case when a 64-bit version is used, is it?

Sure :thumbup , let's make a list of all applications that crash on a 32 bit OS (as all 32 bit OS are the same and particularly all MS ones and the myriad of version that there are of them all behave the same).

You should use 64 bit only systems (and also add some RAM to them), if you happen to easily hit 1.7 Gb oin a browser, the whole point was only that this is not "everyday common" and definitely it wasn't in XP 64 times.

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
Is it really that uncommon? You only need to open just a few sites with high resolution photographs to easily hit that limit.

Personally I can't use a 64-bit Windows because there are no drivers for several pieces of equipment which I've got here (printer, scanner, etc.). And I like Windows 2000 :ph34r:
Posted Image

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Windows XP 64 Bit Edition seems to be the worst OS ever, in terms of compatibility

drivers, software, and so on are not compatible at all

is it possible???

It's always advisable to check for compatible drivers before changing operating systems. Decent 64-bit drivers started being released once Vista x64 was out for a few months, especially from the larger hardware manufacturing companies.

I'd also advise against arbitrarily moving to a newer operating system with aging hardware unless there's a very specific benefit to be gained by doing so. This is the main reason I'm still using XP x64 and still happy with it as a casual gamer and hobbyist.

A final suggestion--which happens to answer your question--is to always backup your files/settings and perform a clean install to reduce the likelihood of complications. If a program is currently misbehaving then it is reasonable to assume that it still won't work correctly after an in-place upgrade of the operating system. A fresh install has always been the best option in my experience.

[...] (IMHO) senseless 64 bit OS [...]

[...] the usual 64 bit fanboyism, so - as a preventive measure :whistle: - I will post a couple links:

So much hate... :(

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

So much hate... :(

Not at all. :)
Simply trying to have things called with their names :yes: .
  • Is a 64 bit system more "capable" overall than a 32 bit system? Yes.
  • Is a 64 bit system faster than a 32 bit system? Rarely.
  • Is a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit OS faster than it's 32 bit counterpart? Rarely.
  • Does everyone *needed* at the time of XP 64 a 64 bit system? No, only a very few people in the need of running very high end kind of apps might have actually *needed* one, and they would have had to be very careful in finding supported hardware and their drivers, at the time non-existing or rare or buggy.
  • Does everyone *need* (now) a 64 bit system? No, only a few people in the need of running very high end kind of apps or however doing an "intensive" use of a PC may actually *need* one, the good news being that the issues with supported hardware and their drivers are not anymore a common problem.
  • Is a 32 bit app running under a 64 bit faster than on a native 32 bit system? No.
  • But 32 bit systems cannot access more than 3/4 Gb of RAM.... NO. The limit is given in some MS OS's by commercial/technical choices (NOT architecture limits) as - even without any technical knowledge easily verifiable by checking how most 32 bit Server edition support largely more that that, typically 64 Gb: http://msdn.microsof...y/aa366778.aspx
  • But 32 bit systems running PAE are slower than 64 bit systems accessing memory. Not really, or the differences (comparing very similar hardware) are negligible.
  • But I like to have a 64 bit system anyway. That's good :thumbup:, and you can have one allright :), only you should know how most probably you won't be going to use all the increased potentialities of it when compared to a 32 bit system, and you shouldn't say that you chose it because 32 bit OS does not support more than 3/4 Gb of memory, as this is not the case, an OS vendor has introduced some limits to some of the 32 bit OS's it sells for its own (perfectly logical) commercial or technical reasons.

jaclaz

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

There's no need to be defensive. I'm sure you have your reasons. Just don't dismiss me as a fanboy and we'll be peachy. :)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

There's no need to be defensive. I'm sure you have your reasons. Just don't dismiss me as a fanboy and we'll be peachy. :)

Never thought you were a fanboy, as said there is a number of people that actually needed to have the XP 64 (only they are much less than the actual XP 64 user base) you may well be one of the few, and, like everyone else migrating to the new platform you must have had the same driver issues everyone else had, or you were another lucky peep like JodyThornton is?
However, as said, no problem if you hadn't actually a need for it and just fancied it. :)

The usual comparison between Porsche 911 and Toyota Hi-Lux (and a wheelbarrow :w00t:) JFYI:
http://www.911cd.net...pic=24502&st=12

jaclaz

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

I moved from 32-bit XP SP2 to XP x64 a few months after SP2 x64 was released, so I avoided the dreadful driver debacle associated with new operating systems. I got it cheap with a hardware purchase; wouldn't have been much of a loss if the OS was a dud. It grew on me and was far more stable than I had known 32-bit XP to be on my machine. So I stayed.

I would think this is the typical migration strategy of those that are not early adopters. I don't like paying to be a beta tester, and I'm not a tech addict that needs the latest bleeding edge gadget.

BTW, I do happen to own a wheelbarrow, and I like it too, but not because I'm a thief--I'm NOT a crook (and I'm not Nixon by saying so). :D

Edited by 5eraph, 09 November 2012 - 09:25 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

BTW, I do happen to own a wheelbarrow, and I like it too, but not because I'm a thief--I'm NOT a crook (and I'm not Nixon by saying so). :D

Well, BOTH a Toyota Hi-Lux and a Porsche 911 would be way faster than your wheelbarrow (because they have more wheels). :whistle:

For NO apparent reason, but JFYI ;):
Spoiler

jaclaz

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,159 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

LOL. Great pic.

Well, BOTH a Toyota Hi-Lux and a Porsche 911 would be way faster than your wheelbarrow (because they have more wheels). :whistle:

There you go with the assumptions again. ;) Wheelbarrows are much faster than both your Porsche or your Toyota for moving dirt and yard waste across my property. At least when I'm pushing it.

Tell you what: You bring your Porsche and I'll bring my wheelbarrow. We'll race.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
How much can anyone bet that this topic by the OP is directly related?

One must "assume" that the OP is still intending an "upgrade" to Vista/7/8 x64 and can't stick to a single Topic...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users