switch from Windows XP 64 Bit Edition to anything else

colore

Race for pink slips?

Sure :thumbup , no prob :), only give me some time to overhaul my wheelbarrow, it needs some work to be ready for race:

I must have somewhere an old KTM 360 engine .... that should fit nicely :w00t: ....

3403.jpg

jaclaz

1) i connected a hd and i was not able to run exe's in it, etc

i wonder, if i have logged in as administrator, why it still requires for permissions, since they are set as 'full' for admin accounts?

anyway, i set full permissions for all users and that fixed the problem

3) i am not sure if i use AHCI, and if yes, if i use it for all my drives and any drives i add in the future

in my BIOS i last time have set manually to IDE

i also, no longer get the bios notification to enable AHCI when i start my pc

please advise

4) i 've heard that aero is a resource hog, how do i disable it? i dont know if it is enabled atm

1. Windows 7 pays more attention to NTFS file permissions on foreign disks, so you may need to take ownership, or grant full access to the disk to your user account,.

3. I'm not sure what you are asking here. If you had installed your OS while in IDE mode, changing it to AHCI will likely cause a 0x7B STOP error. (vice-versa applies) AHCI is recommended if you have the option with a SATA disk, also if you have an SSD as your boot disk.

4. A true sign of Aero (aka Aero Glass) being enabled is that you have transparency in your GUI. Go into Personalize and there are 2 different theme groups, Aero and Basic and High Contrast. Pick one of the Basic ones to disable Aero.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone.

I can't think of a better place to post this:

Got XP on a virtual machine but it is running slow. Now, I'm using Office 2007 in XP to access a network, but perhaps this is where my problem is.

I'm figuring:
1) it's that I'm accessing and manipulating files with Office 2007 that are on a network via a wifi signal that are causing things to run slowly on a virtual machine.
2) that I'm using XP which is too old and too slow to do the above
3) a combination of 1 and 2.

In your experience, is it time to upgrade to Windows 7 and run it on a VM? Would this help? I haven't done this in the interest of conserving disk space.

Thanks for your time!

I can't think of a better place to post this:

Well, that's a difference I can think of several better places :yes:, since this thread is very specific to XP 64 bit edition, and the topic of virtual machines (let alone Office, and Office 2007 and network access) has not seemingly been touched yet.

Seriously, maybe instead of hijacking this topic it would be better if you start a new thread, here if the XP you are running into the Vm is a 64 bit :w00t: :

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/104-windows-xp-64-bit-edition/

or here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

if it is a normal 32 bit one.

You will need to provide all the details that miss from your post above, like what exact version (32 bit or 64 bit) of Windows, which SP, what is the host OS, which is the VM you are using, how EXACTLY you setup network, etc., etc. if you need help/support in troubleshooting the issues.

jaclaz