UxTheme.dll

Asp

The latest version of Opera browser, 12.10, won't install in Win2k, saying it needs UxTheme.dll.

I've installed UUrollup 10c, but it's not included.

So, what options are there? Just find the dll and register it? Will that work?

Edited by Asp

Of course there will be a final version :yes: but there are so many changes compared to v10c that more time is required to test it thoroughly and eliminate ALL bugs and prevent potential issues. At the moment it's actually pretty stable though, especially the last weekly version. It's been very heavily tested by myself and several other people.

What kind of bugs have you got in mind? I don't think there are any known major bugs at the moment.

Of course there will be a final version :yes: but there are so many changes compared to v10c that more time is required to test it thoroughly and eliminate ALL bugs and prevent potential issues. At the moment it's actually pretty stable though, especially the last weekly version. It's been very heavily tested by myself and several other people.

What kind of bugs have you got in mind? I don't think there are any known major bugs at the moment.

I don't think that there are any major bugs here as far as I know. I want to point out a couple of notes here.

1. At startup, it says, "Microsoft Windows 2000 - built on NT technology", but below it says, "Built with Extended Kernel". Brilliant! :lol:

2. Opera 12.10 does now work with Windows 2000 with the latest weekly update to UURollup v11 (2012-11-04 release).

3. I can run Google Chrome 23 on Windows 2000. However, I'm greeted with a OS check warning that "Google Chrome requires Windows XP (SP2) or later. Some of the features may not work." - I'm running a portable installation of Google Chrome 23 by extracting the setup file and extracting the contents of the Chrome.7z file to the hard drive and I'm wondering if using either KDW or the Resource Hacker is a good idea to remove the OS check.

4. In the Command Prompt, it says "Microsoft Windows XP [5.0.2195]". I was wondering if it can be fixed to read "Microsoft Windows 2000 [5.0.2195]" via hex-editing, because Windows XP has the version build of 5.1.2600 and Windows 2000 has 5.0.2195.

5. The Windows Task Manager has changed. The memory usage graph is now reported in megabytes and gigabytes (up to 4 GB) instead of kilobytes. There is one bug where the Username shows up blank between the Image Name and CPU tab.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Thank you very much for the comments :thumbup

1. It's BlackWingCat's work ;)
  2. :yes:
  3. You need to patch the main DLL file. The easiest way to do it is to use the BlackWingCat's tool crm2k60.zip. Check
    so you can see how to use it in order to disable that warning. Do not install any wrappers, just disable the box.
  4. It's because CMD.EXE comes from XP. I'll consider modifying it although I'm not really sure if it's that necessary. Some people might prefer to use the unmodified original file.
  5. You're right! The PID number is also apparently missing. I haven't noticed that before because I've been using ProcessExplorer as a replacement. I think that in such a situation it may be better to restore the original Task Manager.

You can install the latest weekly version of UURollup.

Well, that was scary.

I installed v11-w121104

On reboot, it showed the modified splash screen, then went to a blue screen with "Pagefault in non-paged area"

(Which apparently indicates a hardware error with RAM -- though this seems pretty unlikely.)

Powering off and rebooting a few times couldn't get past it.

But I could boot to safe mode without any issues and so uninstalled the latest rollup, and am now back on the air.

So, just for my peace of mind, if I need to uninstall a rollup manually, do I run the "spuninst.exe" in the $NTUninstallRollup.... folder? Is that the same as using the Control Panel uninstall?

Edited by Asp

Hmm, could you try to uninstall UURollup-v10c before installing the new weekly version? If possible I'd also like to have a look at the log file (%windir%\uurollup-v11*.log).

Using "spuninst.exe" is exactly the same as uninstallation through the Add/Remove Programs applet :yes:

Edit: The installation of the weekly version of UURollup-v11 over UURollup-v10c itself does work. It must be something else which causes the BSOD.

Edited by tomasz86

Hmm, could you try to uninstall UURollup-v10c before installing the new weekly version? If possible I'd also like to have a look at the log file (%windir%\uurollup-v11*.log).

Using "spuninst.exe" is exactly the same as uninstallation through the Add/Remove Programs applet :yes:

Edit: The installation of the weekly version of UURollup-v11 over UURollup-v10c itself does work. It must be something else which causes the BSOD.

Your dropbox link is titled "Weekly", so I took the latest one there:

Windows2000-UURollup-v11-w121104-x86-ENU.exe. Isn't that the "latest weekly version"?

The uninstall seems to have erased the entire uurollup-v11 folder, so I don't have the log.

One other odd thing, when I installed UU10c, it fixed the empty icons problem I mentioned before, but after I went through the UU11 drama and uninstalled it, they're plain white now (not hollow), even after I reinstalled 10c.

I notice that I have uninstall folders for 9b, 10a, 10b, 10c.

I think I just installed them in turn, with no uninstalls, till the last.

Edited by Asp

You installed the correct package. Please forgive me if I wasn't clear enough. "w121104" IS the latest weekly release.

The logs are actually located in your Windows folder (in the main one, not in any subfolders).

As for the icons, does using the repair option in TweakUI make any difference? What's your shell32.dll version at the moment?

You installed the correct package. Please forgive me if I wasn't clear enough. "w121104" IS the latest weekly release.

The logs are actually located in your Windows folder (in the main one, not in any subfolders).

As for the icons, does using the repair option in TweakUI make any difference? What's your shell32.dll version at the moment?

OK, found the logs.

Tweak UI after 10c fixed it, but after 11 and uninstalling 11, now some icons are blank/white again, and TweakUI doesn't change that.

shell32.dll is

UURollup-v11-log.rar

Edited by Asp

I'd suggest uninstalling UURollup-v10c and installing it again. This should fix the icon problem.

Also I think that you could try to install Opera using this method (with UURollup-v10c installed):

1. Unpack the weekly release of UURollup.
  2. Copy uxtheme.dll from there to %windir%\system32.
  3. Install Opera 12.10.
  4. Move uxtheme.dll from %windir%\system32 to the Opera folder (this is extremely important; keeping uxtheme.dll in %windir%\system32 will break other applications).
  5. Download and unpack KDW.
  6. From TOOLS copy rplbfile.exe to %windir%\system32.
  7. Go to the Opera folder and from commandline run:

rplbfile opera.dll kernel32.dll kernelXP.dll

8. Copy kernel32.dll from UURollup (weekly) folder to the Opera folder and rename it to kernelXP.dll.
  9. Opera should start now.

I can't really see anything suspicious in the UURollup logs.

Edited by tomasz86

I'd suggest uninstalling UURollup-v10c and installing it again. This should fix the icon problem.

OK. will try that.

I can't really see anything suspicious in the UURollup logs.

The blue screen was pretty dramatic, at least for me.

Move uxtheme.dll from %windir%\system32 to the Opera folder (this is extremely important; keeping uxtheme.dll in %windir%\system32 will break other applications).

Why is it in UU11 at all then?

What particularly does it break?

Edited by Asp

The blue screen was pretty dramatic, at least for me.

I know :( but nothing is in the log files which could help investigate the cause of the BSOD.

Why is it in UU11 at all then?

What particularly does it break?

When uxtheme.dll is present in %windir%\system32 many programs will think that the system is XP and will look for APIs which aren't present in the kernel32.dll used in UURollup-v10c. Those APIs are present in the new kernel (BWC) used in the weekly version so it's possible to have uxtheme.dll in %windir%\system32.

Thank you very much for the comments :thumbup

1. It's BlackWingCat's work ;)
  2. :yes:
  3. You need to patch the main DLL file. The easiest way to do it is to use the BlackWingCat's tool crm2k60.zip. Check
    so you can see how to use it in order to disable that warning. Do not install any wrappers, just disable the box.
  4. It's because CMD.EXE comes from XP. I'll consider modifying it although I'm not really sure if it's that necessary. Some people might prefer to use the unmodified original file.
  5. You're right! The PID number is also apparently missing. I haven't noticed that before because I've been using ProcessExplorer as a replacement. I think that in such a situation it may be better to restore the original Task Manager.

Okay, I patched the main chrome.dll file, disabled the warning and had to reboot in order for the changes to take effect. After the reboot, the Google Chrome browser works, but it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Upon launching the Google Chrome browser, the browser itself gets stuck attempting to load the main page (google.com) and when I press the X button, I get this: http://twitpic.com/bcfevi/full

I followed instructions in the video, but I must of done something to make Google Chrome not work correctly upon reboot. Is there a way to fix this?

I would like to provide more clearer instructions on how to get Google Chrome working properly on Win2k. :)