Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Capped (clipped, whatever) sound with Audigy sound card

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
Do you mean police is watching me ? Ouch !

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,907 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05

I recall Praktiker, Dedeman and Bricostore stores being present in Timisoara, all of them selling contact cleaners, not necessarily WD-40. But that's NOT the point. The point IS that where's a will, there's ALWAYS a way.

Sadly, your statement is totally wrong. But this is more of a religious and philosophical debate and won't insist.

I've been to Dedeman yesterday. In the whole store (which isn't small btw) they do have just one product, designed for car use. I don't go to Praktiker, because they never (NEVAH !) have anything I look for and Bricostore I am sure is the same. All three are not electronics specialized stores, but house and gardening. So, unless I need to clean my shovel or plant some seeds, there's no reason to go there. It's easy to point fingers without knowing the whole story and all the facts.

The REAL point is I can only use G-22 because that is the ONLY thing I could get at a reasonable price. I cannot spend close to 10% on cleaning products the price of a new card who is suppose to be working perfectly.

Another point is obstacles can be found in any step you take, some have more, some have less, you can't avoid them all and you can't wrestle the mountains (in Romanian it makes more sense :)).

Unfortunately for you, ALL the three stores I mentiones have CAR sections where they carry some sort of contact cleaner. Heck, you could try the simplest method: a can of compressed air to clean the slots on the motherboard and some medical spirit on the contacts of the card. It's NOT rocket science, nor brain surgery. I'm not debating anything here, nor making this religious or philosophical but until now, every single piece of advice you were given was met with "I will do..." , "I will try..." and so far, apart from (sometimes meaningless) talk, you did nothing. PLEASE, put in practice what jaclaz, submix8c, bphlpt and my other colleagues told you to do and return with some CLEAR findings so we have a starting point in helping you further.

nitroshift

Please read the rules, folks!

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
I bought G-22 today.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I bought G-22 today.

A small step for a man, a giant leap for the sanity of mankind..... :yes: :thumbup
:lol:

jaclaz

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I bought G-22 today.

"I shall alert the media."

(watch the whole clip, all 45 secconds)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 23 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Posted Image

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
Posted Image

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
(from another of your topics - CPU Upgrade)

This is my main system. This system meets all my current and, as far as I can see, future needs. I have absolutely no desire or need to upgrade my system now or, as far as I can see, ever. I know exactly what I'm doing and have put extreme thought into future-proofing my system.

;)
[snark]You really are full of yourself, aren't you?[/snark]

An unnecessary and inaccurate post above. :yes: 113 posts as-of-now, 50%+ of which are wasted space. :whistle:

As for the photo... :thumbup

Carry on and please report back...

Edited by submix8c, 25 January 2013 - 07:32 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
What ?!?

Now you totally mixed up things.

Edited by Phaenius, 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
(sigh... simple correlation)
Post #181 - the photo
(plus)
Post #182 - the referenced link with highlighted
(equal)
Post #182 - my snark

Jeez, just finish the project and report back already! Disassembling/Cleaning/Reassembling THIS LONG???

(This is NOT a BLOG or Twitter!!! Although yours is fine...)

Edited by submix8c, 25 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
The link you posted is not mine ! Also, the cited quote is not mine. You are wrongfully quoting me. And why are you calling me full of myself ?

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
:blushing: My humble apologies, Sir Phaenius. Similarities do, however, exist.

Carry on and "Make it so". ;)

(edit - this topic was beat to death so you must have missed my erroneous reference previously in this topic - it's there. too busy arguing, I guess... leave it be and please report back...)

Edited by submix8c, 25 January 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
I have no option but to report you, submix8c. I asked you several times to stop your attacks towards me, but you took them too far. I don't deserve this.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I don't deserve this.

Yep, you may be correct :thumbup , but life is tough :( and rarely "fair" :ph34r:

For NO apparent reason :w00t::
Spoiler

@Phaenius
Really, there is no real reason to get angry, some misunderstandings/misreferencing can happen to everyone :angel .

@submix8c
Come on, Phaenius hasn't signed a contract to clean his PC within a deadline, and it's his PC, and he actually having an issue.
I do understand how bearing the suspence is tough, but ....come on :)

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Also for no apparent reason - ;)
Spoiler

Better get that sound fixed to enjoy.. :w00t:

Edited by submix8c, 25 January 2013 - 02:39 PM.

Posted Image

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
I did clean the contacts of the board, blow the dust away. I have to do some tests now. In my clumsiness, I left the power supply connector out and put the pc back in place. Not an easy task to do the job again now, I electrocuted twice today (with the tv cable - don't know why, but there is high voltage running through that **** cable), I tangled the wires badly and nearly fell off as an effect of tripping, dust everywhere, that G-22 thingy is smelling like s***, I could die in the room by intoxication - could have put some rose smell or something in it, i lost 2 pounds and 2 liters of sweat doing the job and I swore I will NEVER do it again unless I move to a bigger and more spacious place. But it looks like I have to do it soon, since I don't have the front panel working, because of the missing power cable, I have the speakers connected at the back.

I replaced the ribbon with a twisted 80-pin, shielded cable and I grounded to the case. It's long, but the shield and twisted wires, plus grounding, I am sure do a better job than a shorter, unshielded ribbon. I checked the capacitors. They are so small, couldn't see anything obvious, like electrolyte, top cap open or anything, they look ok visually. Contacts were surprisingly clean and neat. No signs of oxidation or corrosion, not even scratches from the other connectors being plugged in.

So, soon there will other electrocutions, tripping into the wires, blood pressure lifting from lifting the computer, fingers smashed, liters of sweat pouring and lots of curses from me. At least I won't be having dust, since I cleaned it today.

Edit: And oh, the built-in sound card from the motherboard is kaput now. Don't know what happened. It worked when I opened the computer. It doesn't now. It says it's not connected. Connected to what ?

Edited by Phaenius, 25 January 2013 - 03:32 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
"TV Cable" into/out-of the AV Receiver (post#74)? You have a TV hooked up to it also? (This is a new item not included in the Sound problem). High Voltage (AFAIK) shouldn't occur except inside a TV at the Tube (Tube Video, not LCD etc) and THAT can make you D-E-A-D unless you know how to discharge it. Cable here only has a mild LOW voltage. If you have HIGH voltage, you have ANOTHER problem outside of your expertise (Cable Company's problem) which COULD cause SERIOUS problems. I had to repeatedly call my ISP about "drops" until they sent a tech and found all SORTS of bad stuff outside on the pole!

And... Holy CROW!!! Please tell me you disconnected power from ALL components in your System (PC, Receiver, Speakers, etc) BEFORE you began!!!

Built-In "Not Connected"? Where? In Device Mangler??? When you try to use it? Did you check to see if it got "reset/disabled" somehow in the BIOS?

"Ribbon with a twisted 80-pin, shielded cable" refers to the "Mandatory Ribbon Adapter"? Front panel needs Power? Maybe that's a misunderstanding because you MUST be referring to the Power to the CARD.

Dude, you have some serious weird problems! And you must LITERALLY be living in a Cracker Box... :(

Take a DEEEEP BREATH and be SURE you follow procedure CAREFULLY, missing NOTHING!

Posted Image

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,907 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05
/le SIGH

Please read the rules, folks!

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
Nitroshift

Don't sigh. You know only too well cable companies' cables have 220 V ac travelling inside the cable (75 ohm).

submix8c

You don't quit, do you ?

I disconnected everything, but there is 220 V ac power on the tv cable. There is nothing to prevent it, that's the situation in Romania. They do have that voltage, don't know why. Cable is inserted into a tv STB decoder and that is connected via HDMI to TV and monitor. But the 75 ohm cable is connected to STB. When I take computer out of it's place (again, tight space), I must disconnect and remove a lot of other equipment, to have access, including the STB. When I take out the STB, I have to plug out the cable from it. And that cable has 220 V ac running through it. I don't know why, but that's the case. I do have LCD on both monitor and tv, but I can't do nothing about the cable. That's within cable company. They do supply HDTV through that cable, but still, it has than stupid voltage. I must be very careful when pulling out the cable, not to touch the metallic part of the plug, but sometimes, in the line of fire, it happens. I know they shouldn't supply that voltage, but they do, it happens here in Romania.

That high voltage inside of CRT tv's is to lighten the screen, it's about 27 KV at a standard 61 cm wide color screen and varies according to screen size, but it has very low current, it has nothing to do with this voltage through cable.

I have 5 ways of outputting sound from my computer:

- Creative analogue
- Creative digital (via SPDIF)
- Realtek analogue
- Realtek digital (via SPDIF)
- AMD HDMI (connected via video card)

AMD is disconnected, I have other ways to output and it can only go along with video, it's a bit more complicated. Both Creative outputs are active, but only the digital Realtek output is available. But, although present inside chip and recognized by driver, motherboard doesn't have a SPDIF plug on it (they went cheap) and I can't connect on that plug. So, it leaves me the analogue at Realtek. But it says "Not plugged in", driver is recognized, it says it's working perfectly, but it doesn't detect anything on it. It worked fine before, now it doesn't, don't know why. I tried to plug the case front panel (not the Creative front panel) to the Realtek card, but it turned out Realtek has Azalia specs and case has AC '97 specs, so I abandoned the idea. But I didn't plugged anything, just a visual inspection.

Of course it's enabled in BIOS, do you think I am an id*** ? It was enabled before, it is now. It's working, but it reports nothing plugged in. It should work normally. Only AC '97 must have a short between pins 5 & 6 and 9 & 10 to work, Azalia doesn't.

The 80 pin cable provides link from Creative sound card to Creative front panel. It is a normal 80 pin cable (IDE), with a few non standard keys (missing holes) to ensure the original is used. I found a cable without any keys, twisted cables, shielded and grounded, very good. Yes, front panel needs 5 V to operate. The voltage must be supplied via a Floppy Disk plug. Creative sound card (not the front panel) has an external 5 V socket on it as well, but it's not required. You can plug if you want, but normally it drags enough current from the PCI BUS.

Posted Image

Edited by Phaenius, 26 January 2013 - 02:18 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,969 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

You know only too well cable companies' cables have 220 V ac travelling inside the cable (75 ohm).

:blink:

Well, I, for one, don't, and I really doubt it. It'd make no sense to actually power a TV cable with 220 V AC at all, IMO.

:wacko:

... unless you're a BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) user, of course, but that's not a cable TV cable, anyway.

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
I've been a subscriber of the first two major companies from Romania, RDS and UPC. They both supply high voltage through the cable, don't know why.

Later: I did some search through Romanian forums and it seems that voltage on the cable might be from the neighbours' tv's. But the fact remains, there is high voltage on the cable. I think in any case, cable companies should assure their network and their cables are well isolated from any power drain.

So, I might have been mistaken in stating cable companies do supply the voltage, but they are not in the clear, since it seems they don't properly shield their cables and equipment. Normally, I believe they should insert protections through the line.

Another edit: I found this. Will it work ? It says it cuts low frequencies voltages.

http://www.decibel.b...arator-galvanic

Edited by Phaenius, 26 January 2013 - 04:21 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
I would like to know:
  • How EXACTLY you measured the voltage on the TV cable (and determined that it was 220 V and AC).
  • Whether you have tested the amount of current you can draw from that TV cable.

That thingy there is seemingly a surge protector/ground decoupler/breaker (BTW sold in Italy on e-bay as "lightning protection :w00t:):
http://www.ebay.it/i...O-/170729105041
(let's say very, very low power lightnings ;))
Better descriptions:
http://www.ebay.com/...0-/230839719974
http://www.anteipaol...-galvanico.html

This is also very similar:
http://shop.digital-devices.de/094724

Ground breaker Koax-connector/coupling with overvoltage protection
5-1000 MHz, attentuation: >0,7 dB with voltage isolation: 50V DC
For noise removal at Cable TV systems
Separates ground from antenna and receiver devices
impedes buzzing noise

Wijipedia to the rescue:
http://en.wikipedia...._current_filter
very likely that thingy there is a capacitive coupler, similar to this DIY (German):
http://www.vdr-wiki....ntelstromfilter

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 26 January 2013 - 07:28 AM.

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
So, that galvanic thingy is not good in my case ?

I would like to know:

• How EXACTLY you measured the voltage on the TV cable (and determined that it was 220 V and AC).
  • Whether you have tested the amount of current you can draw from that TV cable.

By how much i jumped up and how bad the released curse.

You get the idea. It was an unpleasant thing to touch.

Edited by Phaenius, 26 January 2013 - 07:33 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,969 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Later: I did some search through Romanian forums and it seems that voltage on the cable might be from the neighbours' tv's. But the fact remains, there is high voltage on the cable. I think in any case, cable companies should assure their network and their cables are well isolated from any power drain.

Now, *that* I can believe in, for sure.

Another edit: I found this. Will it work ? It says it cuts low frequencies voltages.

http://www.decibel.b...arator-galvanic

Of course it might be good for your case. Electric mains voltage is much easier to deal with than lightning bolts (which may be extremely high voltage vs. ground and really very short). If it truly lets 5 - 1000 MHz, it really might be a good idea. It's not secure to keep your whole machine (or part of it, at least) 80 V or more above ground, for sure.

Phaenius

Phaenius

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12
Some 5 years ago lightning stroke and blew out the tv. Needless to say, cable company refused to pay the blown equipment, although experts from electric company came in and said the thing that blew the electronic devices wasn't their own fault, but it came through television cable. At that moment, we had CATV from analogue equipment, now we have optical fiber.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
@dencorso
JFYI, whenever you read "lightning protection" you can be sure that it won't protect anything from an actual lightning.

@Phaenius
As expected :yes: , no way to know whether it is AC or DC, let alone the voltage or frequency if AC. :no:

Field telephones have been used as a method of torture :ph34r: :
http://en.wikipedia....Field_telephone
and their ringer generator provided around 90 V AC at 20 Hz:
http://olive-drab.co...tronics_ee8.php

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users