Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE

Microsoft made changes to the way USB devices are detected and enumerated between Windows 98SE and Windows ME. (Info taken from MS documentation.)
Could you please point to the source of documentation? I'd like to see if there's something useful in there.

I should probably get my head back to working on that NE editor, since there's none out there to work (correctly and fully) under 9x, at least in my personal experience. But anyway, it won't do anything other than changing the GUI - no actual code editing. So if there's some unwanted changes from 98SE version to ME version, that'd have to fall into much more capable hands.:}

Assuming we are on the same page, it should be interesting to check out the USBSTOR.INF from WUPG98. :thumbup

O.K. - I have done some testing and it looks like as if the sysdm.cpl I used was indeed based on the ME one modified/patched to look like the 98SE one :blushing:

So, sorry for the false alarm ...

But while testing I had these two (under slightly different names) active at the same time and I was wondering if this would not be a work-around ??

I will keep this setup for a few days and see if there are any issues.

I have been unable to find any solution to this issue. :no:

The Icon bug is an obvious cosmetic flaw, and, I noticed that several strings pertaining to CONFIG.SYS that are present in the 98SE SYSDM.CPL have been removed from the ME SYSDM.CPL. It is unknown at this time whether this would cause further problems for users who need special CONFIG.SYS setups or use it to load drivers, but I suspect further problems may lie hidden. :ph34r:

There may be a way to make the 98SE version function in the same manner, but I have not managed to find it. I have tried various changes to the .INF files involved, trying to force an automated install, but nothing has worked. :}

I'm somewhat lost here :blink: What would the CONFIG.SYS have to do with USB? I'm just curious. Are the references needed?

I'm somewhat lost here :blink: What would the CONFIG.SYS have to do with USB? I'm just curious. Are the references needed?

CONFIG.SYS has nothing to do with USB. ;)

The reason I feel the removal of the CONFIG.SYS references may be important is that since Windows ME does not use CONFIG.SYS, using the ME version of SYSDM.CPL may break the use of CONFIG.SYS on 98SE.

This would need to be tested thoroughly.. I don't have any machines that use special CONFIG.SYS entries, but there may be many users who do, especially on older hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

Somebody mentioned hex-editing sysdm.cpl...it's should be easy with the right tool since a .cpl file is exactly the same structure as a .dll file (which in turn differs just 1 bit from an .exe file)

:whistle:

Hex-editing is easy anyway, but here we have a little more than that, namely adding/removing/modifying resources, such as controls in dialogs, strings and even icons, bitmaps and other, for those wanting a modern look. None of the existing tools I know does the perfect job - not even M$'s Visual Studio 6. So we need a new, specially designed tool. I started to build one, but left it aside, as I got sidetracked by other issues - who knows when (or even if) I manage to pull through.

If anybody knows of such existing tool that can specifically work with 16-bit .cpl files and is Win9x compatible, other than the ones already mentioned throughout this topic, please speak (or send PM).

it's should be easy

:w00t::lol:

Sure it is, if you know what you need to hex edit in the first place! :whistle:

Haha, hex-editing is even trivial. I read some hesitation here because it's a .cpl file. Somebody said it could be renamed to .dll, which is the correct way to do (identical structure). Then you can work with it with your tool of choice.

Haha, hex-editing is even trivial. I read some hesitation here because it's a .cpl file. Somebody said it could be renamed to .dll, which is the correct way to do (identical structure). Then you can work with it with your tool of choice.

No, a .CPL is not completely "identical" to a .DLL. And in any case, the problem here is that we do not know WHAT to fix, even if we had a tool to fix it.

Moreover, 16-bit .exe, .dll, .cpl and .drv usually are NE executables, not PE executables. NE executables are totoally different animals. The best way to add resources to them is to use the MS Resource Compiler (rc.exe). To remove/edit a resource is another problem entirely. Sometimes MS VS 6.0 can do it right. Sometimes the (non-free) eXescope can do it. Sometimes nothing seems to work right. Go figure! :blink:

Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is SYSDM.CPL 4.90.0.3001 is now working on my system. The icon bug is gone :thumbup The bad news is, I don't know what I did to get rid of it. Look at the screenshot for proof. You'll see the Disable System Restore option which is not present on Win98 along with no buggy icon in device manager. BTW, the link to the none System Restore version is broke.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I found the bug. :thumbup It is NOT the file SYSDM.CPL 4.90.0.3001.

In order for USB drivers to silently install you need these keys, and they do NOT work on the Win98 version of SYSDM.CPL

1. HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\USB,"SilentInstall",,"1"

2. HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\USB,"SilentInstallNotify",,"1"

but wait, registry key (2) is the culprit. When that key is removed, the icon bug disappear, but wait, when that key is removed the icon bug is gone and everything installs silently and you don't get the New Hardware Found box that shows the USB drivers installing because everything installs in the background. This only happens when updating the .SYS drivers. USB flash drives devices shows the New Hardware Found box. This is not a bug since the whole purpose is to let drivers detect silently without the users input. If users are using NUSB 3.6, just remove key (2) up above, remove all drivers in safemode.

Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is SYSDM.CPL 4.90.0.3001 is now working on my system. The icon bug is gone :thumbup The bad news is, I don't know what I did to get rid of it. Look at the screenshot for proof. You'll see the Disable System Restore option which is not present on Win98 along with no buggy icon in device manager. BTW, the link to the none System Restore version is broke.

Hmm... Sounds interesting. I will have to experiment with this.

Link in previous post fixed, and here again for reference:

SYSDMCPL.ZIP - 156.9 Kb

Of course it comes with the same disclaimer I've said before - this file is experimental and MAY cause unexpected behavior, especially regarding CONFIG.SYS if you have any special settings specified there. It has not been tested under such conditions.

Edited by LoneCrusader