So, did you find out why the wrong icon in Device Manager and why dialogs are not centered? Personally I've had a weird day, can't figure out how I wasted it but somehow managed not to do anything useful.
Only thing I found out is that the wrong icon pertains to a Tape device which somehow gets installed by the ME CPL and is found in pnpwprop.dll. Wasn't able to write a single line of code for the CPL reader/editor I intend to build.
(ah, these typos...)
My system is installing SP3.10 right now. I will have a screenshot for you soon. Also V3 does NOT have the center bug
No, I didn't find the source of the icon problem.
But, as it affects all ME versions and is not caused by a Mod, I figure we will address it as a new project, but still within the scope of this discussion and thread.
I have however, after much trial and error, managed to get all of the ME specific items removed and strings fixed. (The story...)
I discovered that my original versions 1-3 modified with eXeScope did not suffer from the "New Hardware not centered" bug. It was only with version 4, when I started using Open Watcom, that the bug appeared.
I opened the original ME HotFix file with Open Watcom and saved it without making ANY changes. Then I compared the original and the saved version with a Hex Editor. Open Watcom added 32 sequential bytes of rubbish, nothing but NULL characters, into the file and changed 222 other bytes (increased all by 2 dec.) that I assume are some type of data "offsets" or "addresses" for the rest of the file. The file now had the "not centered" bug.
I took my v03 and modified ONE single item with Open Watcom (unchecked "Visible" for the "Disable System Restore" option) and saved it. Then I compared that file against my v03 with a Hex Editor. Open Watcom had added 16 bytes of rubbish this time, along with the "offset" changes, but I was able to figure out which 2 bytes had been changed that were important.
I returned to my v03, and used the Hex Editor to change ONLY those two bytes. This file worked properly, with the "Disable" option hidden, and no "not centered" bug.
I repeated this process, changing things with Open Watcom; comparing the changes against the file modified directly with a Hex Editor; figuring out what bytes were relevant; and then applying them to the Hex Edited file.
It took a while, but I now have all of the ME options hidden, all of the ME strings changed to 98, and no errors caused by modding that I am aware of.
This file should be tested thoroughly as well though.SYSDMCPL.ZIP - V06
Edited by LoneCrusader, 14 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.