Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Modified SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 for 98SE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
Here is the screenshot of the icon changed

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
I figured you'd do something like that. I'd do it too, if I weren't so stubborn in making a tool that can do it without introducing bugs. Open Watcom may be open source, but it's way too much code to analyze and find the proper place(s) to fix, so I'd rather build my own limited-purpose tool from scratch.

It's incredible how Microsoft hid away all the information regarding older files (such as the segmented executables - the 16 bit NE that SYSDM.CPL is part of). The page can only be found through Wayback Machine. And there is very, very much similar information that has been (and is being) removed from the Internet, leaving us with no source of information whatsoever, other than what we managed to save locally on our own storage devices. :(

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

That's not the Tape Device icon. Where on earth did this one come from? Gosh, weirdness!

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

That's not the Tape Device icon. Where on earth did this one come from? Gosh, weirdness!

Really weird. It happens with all SYSDM.CPL from WinME.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Oh I know... and somehow I managed to bring back the correct icons, but only by doing some chaotic moves. Can't even remember all of them!

I know first thing was to delete the registry keys that deal with tape drives/tape controller/etc. HKLM\Enum\Tape*. Then HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Tape* (there were three of them).

Then I removed (backed them up previously) a bunch of VXDs from C:\Windows\System\VMM32, specifically those that were already present in VMM32.VXD (the whole list of files that are bundled with VMM32.VXD can be found in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VMM32Files). Dunno if this was really necessary, but since it's related to the Tape drivers, it may have helped.

Then, upon reboot, the Device Manager redetected the TapeDetection category with two subitems of the same name. Looking in driver details, I noticed both of them had the same driver, namely DRVWQ117.VXD. On a whim, I started a driver update, chose manual update > Show all hardware and chose the simple TapeDetection driver (not the one dated 4-23-1999, but the one with no date).
Did that for both TapeDetection items. I noticed one of them got a different driver than it had previously, namely DRVWPPQT.VXD. Then, I did the same for the USB controllers (in my case, SiS7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller). Surprisingly, the USB icons came back from where they were hiding. :D

Now, I didn't place the VXD files back in the VMM32 folder. If anything, I'll do that, see if icons remain correct and there's no other new issue, then will try to combine the VXD files into VMM32.VXD. The information on how to do this can be found - guess what!? - through Wayback Machine, of course! Here is the link to old Infinisource page.

Needless to say, do all this with extreme caution, on a test/virtual machine, not like me. :)

EDIT:

Added back the VXDs, all seems fine, icons are still in place. Just that there's only one entry for TapeDetection in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class. I vaguely recall about a modification done by someone to remove tape detection and other supposedly useless stuff, for a faster boot. But can't remember what exactly was all about.

Edited by Drugwash, 08 November 2012 - 08:00 PM.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

Looks like it's setupapi.dll icon 19 that's printed over setupapi.dll icon 20 (the USB icon) for some reason. All icons in System Properties seem to come from that dll.

Edited by loblo, 08 November 2012 - 08:49 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I figured you'd do something like that. I'd do it too, if I weren't so stubborn in making a tool that can do it without introducing bugs. Open Watcom may be open source, but it's way too much code to analyze and find the proper place(s) to fix, so I'd rather build my own limited-purpose tool from scratch.

It's incredible how Microsoft hid away all the information regarding older files (such as the segmented executables - the 16 bit NE that SYSDM.CPL is part of). The page can only be found through Wayback Machine. And there is very, very much similar information that has been (and is being) removed from the Internet, leaving us with no source of information whatsoever, other than what we managed to save locally on our own storage devices. :(

Yes, far too much information has already been lost.
For the record, the old Borland Resource Workshop 4.5 can be used on many of the older type files, but it crashes when trying to load SYSDM.CPL. :}

I have no programming experience, so writing my own tool would be out of the question, lol.

Really weird. It happens with all SYSDM.CPL from WinME.

Looks like it's setupapi.dll icon 19 that's printed over setupapi.dll icon 20 (the USB icon) for some reason. All icons in System Properties seem to come from that dll.

:blink:
Never seen anything like that before. Only the Tape Device icon on my system.

The only place I've seen that Icon (19 in SETUPX.DLL as well) associated with USB is under Windows 95. Windows 95 does not contain a USB Icon or SETUPAPI.DLL by default, so it defaults to Icon 19 instead of Icon 20.

HKLM\Enum\Tape*. Then HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Tape* (there were three of them).
TapeDetection

I think we should examine the .INF's for Tape Detection and USB2 to see if something "similar" is being set for these devices that might cause overlap... :unsure:

...or maybe that's a dumb idea... if INF's are causing it it SHOULD be present with the 98SE version... :huh:

Edited by LoneCrusader, 08 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I don't think the inf files has anything to do with it. It only appears when you replace the CPL file.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

I don't think the inf files has anything to do with it. It only appears when you replace the CPL file.

Not exactly.
On my main 98SE machine, I've replaced the original CPL with a few interim versions while working on getting a stable one and currently there's neither a TapeDetection branch in Device Manager, nor wrong icons for the two USB controllers, even after reboot(s). However, I have not removed the USB devices and controllers from Device Manager to have them redetected upon reboot, therefore I can only speculate that this detection that is being performed after deleting USB devices, will also add TapeDetection branch, with the wrong driver for one of the subitems and the wrong icons for the USB controllers.

I'm not gonna verify this theory on my main system though, as I have a whole lot of USB devices installed, including the Bluetooth that took me a long time to figure out which drivers to install.

@LoneCrusader: The icon you see in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot will only appear if you manually delete the Tape-related branches in the registry at the places I've mentioned above. In the beginning there were the regular Tape icons for the USB controllers, on my test machine; after I deleted those registry keys, the icons changed to the one shown in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot. They can be brought back to normal by following the procedure detailed in my post above - at least I did it succesfully.

Edited by Drugwash, 09 November 2012 - 07:29 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I know first thing was to delete the registry keys that deal with tape drives/tape controller/etc. HKLM\Enum\Tape*. Then HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Tape* (there were three of them).

I have :no: such registry entries whatsoever.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

I have :no: such registry entries whatsoever.

These are the ones (re)created after first removal. They will always be created after them or USB controller(s) being deleted from Device Manager. At least when the SP is already installed (because I'm testing this on a system that has SP 3.8 already installed).
Posted Image
Posted Image

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
I think you have the tape drives registry entries (and associated vxd drivers) only if you install the backup tool at Windows setup.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Possible. The backup option is selected in Windows Setup panel.
But then again, how come you get the Tape icon for USB controllers too? Let's assume my setup was borked because of the backup option and all that manual mumbo-jumbo with the registry and drivers fixed it. But how about you? Do you have the backup option installed? Do you get such Tape entries in the registry? Did you try reinstalling USB drivers, changing anything in the registry in order to fix the icon issue?

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
I don't have the backup option installed and I don't have any Tape .* registries :blink: It has to be something within the cpl file. :yes:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

But then again, how come you get the Tape icon for USB controllers too? Let's assume my setup was borked because of the backup option and all that manual mumbo-jumbo with the registry and drivers fixed it. But how about you? Do you have the backup option installed? Do you get such Tape entries in the registry? Did you try reinstalling USB drivers, changing anything in the registry in order to fix the icon issue?

You must be confusing me with someone else. I am a Windows ME user and have none of those issues of course. There is no backup tool as an optional component of Windows ME setup but it's however available as a separate install package on the ME disc and sure it contains the two tape drive vxd drivers you mentioned earlier. I don't have the backup tool installed now but used to have it some time (long time) ago and don't remember anything of the sort you experience happening.

Edited by loblo, 09 November 2012 - 01:10 PM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
OK, freeze!

- Install 98SE fresh, without backup or other fancy options.
- Install official drivers, bare minimum, at least for USB.
- Replace original SYSDM.CPL with the Millennium one (4.90.3000 or 4.90.3001)
- Remove all USB devices and drivers from Device Manager
- Reboot

Does any of the USB icons, upon redetection, change to something else than USB? If so, then it's definitely in the Millennium CPL. If not, then it's in NUSB or its components built into the Service Pack.

You must be confusing me with someone else.

Definitely. :blushing: I was thinking of Lone Crusader. My mind is not quite home these days, sorry...

Edited by Drugwash, 09 November 2012 - 01:11 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Does any of the USB icons, upon redetection, change to something else than USB? If so, then it's definitely in the Millennium CPL.

Have you notice that it changes different devices? Look at LoneCrusader controller and then look at mines.It changes his USB 1.x and it changes my USB 2.0. It only happens when you use WinME SYSDM.CPL (Any Version)

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 09 November 2012 - 01:41 PM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Then we might as well put up a sign saying [For hire: skilled hacker] :( (sad joke)

I'm fresh out of ideas. :(

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Then we might as well put up a sign saying [For hire: skilled hacker] :( (sad joke)

I'm fresh out of ideas. :(

You know whats really sad? The file doesn't break anything that I'm aware of. It just changes the icon without our permission :realmad: All of my USB devices work the same. :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
I know. But people are just different. Yesterday I was reading a long blog about Vista desktop icons and whether they're facing the wrong way. I mean, some people do care about minor details such as "why this icon and that icon have different shades of blue" or "why does the folder icon face right and the MyComputer icon face left". What are you gonna do when a couple guys will burst in here yelling that they have wrong icons for their USB controllers, even when everything else works perfectly? :(
Oh, don't answer - I know it already. You're a Leo, after all... :lol:

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,533 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I know. But people are just different. Yesterday I was reading a long blog about Vista desktop icons and whether they're facing the wrong way. I mean, some people do care about minor details such as "why this icon and that icon have different shades of blue" or "why does the folder icon face right and the MyComputer icon face left". What are you gonna do when a couple guys will burst in here yelling that they have wrong icons for their USB controllers, even when everything else works perfectly? :(

After what we went through with the WinME icons. :w00t:

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Yeah, that too! :)
It's all about the freedom of choice. If something can be done in more than one way, rest assured someone, sometime, will ask for that thing to be done differently, while others will ask for it to stay as it was. Give them the ability to choose for themselves and they'll be happy. Make it hardcoded one way and you'll get showered with tomatoes, rotten eggs and other such goodies. :whistle:
MS guys will never learn. Let us be smarter, for what it's worth. Oh, if only we could...

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

...I have not removed the USB devices and controllers from Device Manager to have them redetected upon reboot, therefore I can only speculate that this detection that is being performed after deleting USB devices, will also add TapeDetection branch, with the wrong driver for one of the subitems and the wrong icons for the USB controllers.

@LoneCrusader: The icon you see in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot will only appear if you manually delete the Tape-related branches in the registry at the places I've mentioned above. In the beginning there were the regular Tape icons for the USB controllers, on my test machine; after I deleted those registry keys, the icons changed to the one shown in PROBLEMCHYLD's screenshot. They can be brought back to normal by following the procedure detailed in my post above - at least I did it succesfully.

I have not attempted altering the Tape Detection entries in the registry yet, but I will look into it further later tonight.

These are the ones (re)created after first removal. They will always be created after them or USB controller(s) being deleted from Device Manager. At least when the SP is already installed (because I'm testing this on a system that has SP 3.8 already installed).

I'm not using the USP, but I'm using my own slipstreamed build of 98SE that contains many of the same things...

The backup option is selected in Windows Setup panel.

I always have that tool selected when I install 98SE. No particular reason, I don't use it, but I guess it sounded nice. :lol:

Have you notice that it changes different devices? Look at LoneCrusader controller and then look at mines.It changes his USB 1.x and it changes my USB 2.0. It only happens when you use WinME SYSDM.CPL (Any Version)

Strange that the results are different on different machines for the exact same hardware. We need to test this file on a wider range of hardware. My only testing so far has been in a VM.

What are you gonna do when a couple guys will burst in here yelling that they have wrong icons for their USB controllers, even when everything else works perfectly? :(

Well, I'm an Aries so maybe that explains something as well... :lol: :angel

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

It's all about the freedom of choice. If something can be done in more than one way, rest assured someone, sometime, will ask for that thing to be done differently, while others will ask for it to stay as it was.

Yep. Everyone probably knows "that guy" who always uses green ink, etc. LOL :)

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Ok... Back to the Icon problem.

I examined the NTMAP.INF and USBNTMAP.INF files that are part of NUSB because I remember there being references to Tape Devices in them. I was correct, there are references to tape devices. However, the only "Icon" that is set by either of these files is a normal disk drive icon, Icon #9 in SETUPX/SETUPAPI. So, these files are not responsible for the problem. (Thought this was the case anyhow, but wanted to rule it out.)

Since the registry entries associated with Tape Devices do not affect the 98SE version of SYSDM.CPL, I think we should concentrate on seeing if there is anything handled differently under ME for these devices before we try to fix it by removing/changing 98SE settings.

I think our next step should be to examine the Windows ME settings for the same devices and see if anything is handled differently. We should see if all of the same INF's and other drivers are present under Windows ME, and see if Windows ME's Backup tool is different.

If any of these items are different or expect different conditions, we may need to try backporting some other settings, files, or both in order for the ME SYSDM.CPL to respond properly.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 10 November 2012 - 12:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users