Help A Long Time Windows 98SE user reaccess his cd drive?

Last query for now, I promise.

Can anyone tell me why my internal cd - rom drive isn't being seen by my computer as an available drive anymore? Right now I get around this by using an external Iomega cd rom drive that connects by USB port but up until a few years ago I could "see " and use both drives. There must be some setting that allows multiple drives and I have that box unchecked.

Edited by ramentaschen

As to yr CDROM, the info you gave is too vague (not descriptive enough of the

problem). Try substituting another internal CDROM-maybe yours just died?

As usual, I'm browsing in Firefox 2.0.0.20 right now. I occasionally use Opera 10.63, IE5.0, or Off By One.

Your CD-ROM drive could be dead. Test it in another system, use a different cable, use a different power connector.

If the drive tests good, get it working in DOS, then we'll tackle Windows.

JFYI, the spirit of Rule #2a

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

is to give a meaningful title to your topic and do not change it every time you ask a new completely unrelated queston on the same topic (which you should NOT ask here :no: , but rather start a new topic about this new unrelated question/issue :yes: ).

You see :), till yesterday someone looking for a solution to a problem with internet connection with 98SE might have found this thread and tried changing cable connections, now that you have changed it's title the usefulness of this thread (regarding the internet connection issue) for anyone else but you has become none. :ph34r:

jaclaz

There must be some setting that allows multiple drives and I have that box unchecked.

Does unplugging the USB drive bring back the internal one ?(I guess not).

Is the driive seen in Bios ? If not, it is a hardware problem (bad cable/ bad contact at connectors/ dead drive...). Have you changed anything between the moment it worked and now ? Laptop/desktop ?

#1 - Can anyone tell me why my internal cd - rom drive isn't being seen by my computer as an available drive anymore? Right now I get around this by using an external Iomega cd rom drive that connects by USB port but up until a few years ago I could "see " and use both drives.

#2 - There must be some setting that allows multiple drives and I have that box unchecked.

#1 - Have you by chance set in Device Manager (for the CD-ROM's) the same Start/End Drive Letters, limiting to just a single letter? (don't have a USB CD, so unsure if that's how it works)

#2 - Huh??? Where did you "uncheck" such a box? I must misunderstand the phrasing - you left a "?" off of the sentence thus making it a statement of fact.

You COULD try disconnecting the USB CD, booting to SAFE mode, go to Device Manager, and removing both CD-ROM drives, reboot and see if the Internal one shows back up. Does it even SHOW in Safe Mode / Device Manager?

...AAAAAND also refer to Ponch' post above...

Edited by submix8c