Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Change boot info without reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ElAguila

ElAguila

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 22-October 06
I have a friend that had a pc with Vista installed on a 320gb drive. He added a 2TB drive to his system. Then he upgraded to Windows 7. When he did the upgrade it wrote the boot info to the 320gb drive(now his D drive) instead of the 1tb drive(now his C drive) but Windows installed to the 1tb drive.. He wants to remove the 320gb drive but when he unplugs it it the system won't boot. It says it can't find the boot drive. Is there a simple way to get it to boot from the drive where the windows 7 installation is without having to install windows again?
ASUS Rampage Formula ROG X48, Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4.02GHZ, GSkill 4x2GB PC8500 5-5-5-15 1116GHz, Quadfire 2 4870 X2's, Raid 0 2x500GB Seagate on SATA 1/2, Raid 0 2x500GB Seagate SATA II on 3/4,
Sony DVD Burner, Corsair HX1000W.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05
I did this, but now I can't find the exact page which explained it step by step. This looks close enough. It was something with BCDEDIT, for sure.

GL

cannie

cannie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

... when he unplugs it it the system won't boot. It says it can't find the boot drive...

Hello!

He may try EasyBCD to create a new boot path alongside the existing one, selecting it afterwards at the boot list.

HTH

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,789 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Yes and no.
The issue is not so slightly different from the ones that the suggested remedies may "fix" because of the two disks.

The normal boot sequence is this one:

• First disk (in BIOS)
  • MBR on first disk
  • PBR of active partition on first disk
  • BOOTMGR on active partition on first disk
  • /boot/BCD on active partition on first disk
  • WINLOAD.EXE (that can be on *any* disk/partition set in /boot/BCD)
  • rest of Windows (Vista :ph34r: or 7) on same *any* disk/partition as above

So, a number of requisites on the "2 Tb disk" need to be fulfilled to have it work "independently", i.e., on the "2Tb disk"
  • the MBR code must be present and suitable to chainload active partition
  • there must be at least one active primary partition on it
  • the PBR CODE on that partition should invoke BOOTMGR
  • BOOTMGR must be present in the root of the active primary partition
  • a /boot/BCD (or more generally a whole copy of the /boot/ folder must be present in the root of the active primary partition on the "2Tb disk"
  • the /boot/BCD must have a suitable entry to boot the Winload.exe and "rest of windows"

The easiest (IMHO) way to recreate this situation is to disconnect the "320gb" disk, boot from a Windows 7 install disc and "startup repair" the install:
http://pcsupport.abo...rtup-repair.htm

To do so, only the pre-requisite of a primary partition existing should be needed, and the "startup repair" should take care of all the other points.

jaclaz

cannie

cannie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08
I rectify my previous post:
EasyBCD only allows booting different drives at the same HDD, I'm afraid.
Sorry.
Thanks, jaclaz!

Edited by cannie, 13 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users