UURollup v11 and Microsoft Silverlight Plugin

ppgrainbow

I have a problem here. Currently I have already updated to the latest weekly version of UURollup v11 (2012-11-04) and when I try to access websites that require Microsoft Silverlight, the plugin itself crashes. :(

Here's the screenshot of what it looks like: http://twitpic.com/bcqccj/full

The same situation happens under Google Chrome and it even crashes the Opera browser.

Other plugins work fine. Microsoft Silverlight can be found in the "\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight" directory and the current version that I'm using is version 4.1.10329.0.

Is there a way to investigate what could be causing this issue and fix it?

Thanks. :)

I'm sorry but haven't had time yet to check the issue :(

Actually, since a few days I didn't have Internet access in VMs and I was really wondering what the reason was. Everything was working properly and then suddenly I couldn't open any websites (only in VMs as Internet worked in my real system). I even checked the problem in XP installed on an another partition and the situation was the same, i.e. there was still no Internet in the VMs (even though the host system was different).

I was suspecting that something was going on with the wireless router which I've been using here but wasn't really sure as the Internet was still working in other circumstances. Now I'm 99% sure that it was indeed the router. It just completely stopped working today. I tried to reconnect the thing, reset the settings, etc. but nothing worked. It seems to be dead. I connected the LAN cable directly to the computer and the Internet is working in the VMs again :ph34r:

I shall be able to check the Silverlight issue in the next few days.

Edited by tomasz86

I'm sorry but haven't had time yet to check the issue :(

Actually, since a few days I didn't have Internet access in VMs and I was really wondering what the reason was. Everything was working properly and then suddenly I couldn't open any websites (only in VMs as Internet worked in my real system). I even checked the problem in XP installed on an another partition and the situation was the same, i.e. there was still no Internet in the VMs (even though the host system was different).

I was suspecting that something was going on with the wireless router which I've been using here but wasn't really sure as the Internet was still working in other circumstances. Now I'm 99% sure that it was indeed the router. It just completely stopped working today. I tried to reconnect the thing, reset the settings, etc. but nothing worked. It seems to be dead. I connected the LAN cable directly to the computer and the Internet is working in the VMs again :ph34r:

I shall be able to check the Silverlight issue in the next few days.

I sure hope that you got the router fixed by the way. I suspect that there could a bit of a problem with UURollup v11 causing sites that use Microsoft Silverlight to crash.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/page__view__findpost__p__1019176

The last version of UURollup where Silverlight works is daily v11d120911.

Thank you for telling me. I could be wrong, but I think that the problem might be due to the latest version of ntdll.dll which is version 5.0.2195.7103 (2012-10-05 20:48:18). I'm wondering if it is possible to either use a older version of ntdll.dll or investigate parts of the ntdll.dll file to determine what caused Silverlight to not work anymore either.

I don't think that Silverlight 5.x even works with this version of the Extended Kernel, but I could be wrong here.

Edit: I heard that blackwingcat got Silverlight 5.x working with the latest version of UURollup v11. If that's the case, I will need to somehow get it working to see if this will remedy the problem.

Edited by ppgrainbow

It's not possible to downgrade ntdll.dll without downgrading a lot of other files too.

Silverlight 5.x doesn't work for me:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/page__view__findpost__p__1019293.

I knew it. I kinda have a feeling that the final version of UURollup v11 will most likely break Silverlight support as far as I know.

According to the error details, the crash in Microsoft Silverlight caused by the latest update to UURollup v11 has the offending module name of kernel32.dll (module version 5.0.2195.7193), the exception information output are as follows:

Code: 0xe0434352

Flags: 0x00000001

Record: 0x0000000000000000

Address: 0x000000007C59CB1

So, until there is any word on how to get Silverlight fixed, I'm afraid that we're stuck, which means that we may have to use the older workable version of UURollup (with the version of the files older than 5.0.2195.7193) or uninstall Silverlight completely. :(

Edited by ppgrainbow

At the moment, if you absolutely must use Silverlight then I recommend to uninstall the version of UURollup which you're using now and install daily v11d120911. Silverlight (both 4.x and 5.x) should work with it properly.

Actually I'm 100% sure that it's something with ntdll.dll because I did test it by comparing dailies v11d120911 and v11d120915. Unfortunately kernel32.dll and other files are also dependent on it so it's impossible to keep the old version of ntdll.dll with the new versions of the other files.

At the moment, if you absolutely must use Silverlight then I recommend to uninstall the version of UURollup which you're using now and install daily v11d120911. Silverlight (both 4.x and 5.x) should work with it properly.

Actually I'm 100% sure that it's something with ntdll.dll because I did test it by comparing dailies v11d120911 and v11d120915. Unfortunately kernel32.dll and other files are also dependent on it so it's impossible to keep the old version of ntdll.dll with the new versions of the other files.

I agree. It's something with ntdll.dll and v11d120915 and up that's causing Silverlight to crash. But what's complicated is that simply replacing older versions of the ntdll.dll would break applications, because kernel32.dll and other files from 5.0.2195.7193 depend on ntdll.dll.

As for the recommendation, I'm with you on this one. I either need to downgrade to v11d120911 or uninstall Silverlight until a update from v11d121104 is made, that is if there is one.

Don't even try to replace ntdll.dll with an older version. It's not that some applications will not work. The system itself will actually NOT boot :ph34r:

Woah! Thank you for telling me. At the moment, it looks like that fixing the Microsoft Silverlight plugin is infeasible right now so I had to uninstall it. :(

Edited by ppgrainbow

Update: At this time, I just got word that Silverlight 4.1 and Silverlight 5.x will work with UURollup v11 20120915+ ONLY if the system locale is set to the Japanese language and in Japanese versions of Windows 2000. It will NOT work in languages other than Japanese: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/page__view__findpost__p__1019919

I think it would be good to do some investigation into the DLLs that caused Silverlight to not work in languages other than Japanese. ;p

Edited by ppgrainbow