Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 and 8.1 Reg Tweaks

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I remember this fix to Let "My Computer" icon be first on desktop, has anyone found a reg or tweak for windows 8.1 that could work?.

I found this http://www.sevenforu...-desktop-5.html but it dont really say anything about windows 8/8.1 :/

I really hate that documents folder being first each time i reboot my machine since the 2nd monitor makes both monitors blink twice when they get into windows and icons have changed back, sooooo annoying.

You *could* just hide one or both of them, and make your own shortcuts to do just what you want.  Right-click on the desktop, choose Personalize, then click the Change desktop icons link near the upper-left of the Personalization panel.

As far as the desktop icons becoming reorganized, I don't personally see that because I have a desktop in which all the monitors are permanently connected, but here's an idea that comes to mind (if you've not already tried it)...  Arrange the icons the way you want them with both monitors connected, then log off or reboot with them connected.  Then disconnect a monitor, rearrange the icons the way you want them with just the one connected, then log off or reboot with the hardware still in that condition.  I'm thinking Windows should save each arrangement per the desktop size at the time of logoff.

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

= METRO APPS TO WINDOWS DESKTOP CONTEXT MENU =

Metro_Apps_Menu.png

INFO:
For Windows 8 | 8.1, 32-bit & 64-bit.
ADDS 14 Of The Most Popular Metro Apps plus Task Kill Apps.
- Calendar  
- Finance
- Games
- Mail
- Maps
- Music
- News
- People
- Reading List
- Sports
- Store
- Travel
- Video
- Weather

- Includes Installer  and Uninstaller to the Systemdrive\Metro.Apps directory.

Enjoy, ~DP

Edited by DosProbie, 07 June 2014 - 10:17 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,475 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Maybe OT :w00t:, but JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/to...your-windows-8/

http://thesz.diecru....ent/spencer.php

jaclaz

• DosProbie and ace2 like this

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

'Wow! That is awesome! Thank you for sharing :w00t:

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Is this better than Classic Shell in some way?  I'm probably missing something obvious.

-Noel

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Is this better than Classic Shell in some way?  I'm probably missing something obvious.

-Noel

I am with you Noel, I run Classic as well and can't see much difference.

~DP  :whistle:

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

-Noel

-Noel

I am with you Noel, I run Classic as well and can't see much difference.

~DP  :whistle:

Its awesome because its portable & needs no injection into explorer, or a running explorer, & no need for taskbar, & works on a non-clickable desktop, & works with MY NEW TEST SETUP (Post #9). ;)

http://www.msfn.org/...p/#entry1079774

Edited by ace2, 07 June 2014 - 05:27 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I guess.  Such a tool might be helpful in an IT environment where people are not allowed to install anything they want.  Does it have to have elevated privileges to run?

If there was something wrong with installing Classic Shell - some problem that choosing to use it long-term causes - I'd be more concerned about those things.  As it is, it's a problem solved.  Completely.  And you can't beat the price.  ;)

-Noel

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13

I guess.  Such a tool might be helpful in an IT environment where people are not allowed to install anything they want.  Does it have to have elevated privileges to run?

-Noel

No. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users