Windows Logon Screen Background Color

[FMC]Ravage

Did you try it in Audit Mode?

When I open the program, it shows the accent color as being red. When I click it and pick green from the menu, the square then becomes blue. I confirm this is the color of the Start Screen. I captured a PML of it if you want.

Also I ran depends on the 3 files and only the WinaeroStartScreenHelper.dll shows something is missing. This OS has no updates installed and no extra .NET versions enabled or installed.

Edited by Tripredacus

I added the screenshot from Depends as well. Ignoring IESHIMS, the other ones with the hyphens imply something else is missing. In my previous experience when running depends and finding these hyphen items, a program was missing a redist. It is also possible that something needs to be registered, something not normally active in Audit Mode.

SSCTpml.rar

Also, I can confirm that the registry keys are being written to. I can see the change in regedit.

I will reload the PC and take screenshots of everything, then sysprep and see if the app works then.

I don't specifically need the screen to turn green, turning blue would work for me too.

Well, I have same missing dependecny here

3kvQ09l.png

It is not a cause of the issue.

I have only one idea.

Maybe it is related to the fact that personalization settings are disabled till Windows is activated. Maybe this affects API too.

When new value is written to registry, the app performs few api calls, probably they kill new value.

Edited by hb860

After my application finishes, the Start Screen is still red.

th_redmetro_zpsb7bb5c62.jpg

Even though you can see in this screenshot that the code for green is written:

regedit_write_green_zpsa64f3f16.jpg

So I open the tuner, it shows the Accent color is red:

red_tuner_zps27ff94d1.jpg

I choose to change it to green.

tuner_green_zpsf3874a9a.jpg

But the tuner shows it as Blue now:

blue_tuner_zps65084341.jpg

Here is the registry now:

regedit_write_blue_zps73cfe27f.jpg

The start screen is also now blue:

th_bluemetro_zps2d96d53d.jpg

So I sysprep the PC and after going through OOBE, the Start Screen is default blue which I did not change from the color screen. Even after logging into Windows, still the Tuner does not function! Changing to any color on the color select screen, the Accent Color remains unchanged, still stays blue. Changing the Logon Screen color changes the color of the box at least, but when I apply the settings, it changes back to the blue color. :(

When green turned to blue, it means that new color (green in this case) is not supported by OS.

In your case, OS reject ANY color you choose in tuner. I even have no idea how i can reproduce this behavior.

Maybe you installed something I do not have? For example, that recently leaked GA Rollup update for 8.1 RTM?

Edited by hb860

I have no updates added. I am not using any leaked software. My software comes directly from Microsoft.

The only reason I resorted to changing the Start Screen color is for software deployments. When it is red it means software is installed. When it is green it means it is done. Originally I had used a MessageBox to appear when it was done, but this "broke" the Start Screen.

I will see if I can get some other feedback on how to change the colors.

I tried Start Screen Color Tuner on Windows 8.1 but couldn't get the Accent color to change, my version is not activated so that is probably the reason but I found a way to change it by adding another default color setting.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent]

"StartColor"=dword:ff000000

"AccentColor"=dword:ff0000ff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent]

"DefaultStartColor"=dword:ff000000

"DefaultAccentColor"=dword:ff0000ff

for some reason though instead of ARGB the color is ABGR "Alpha, Blue, Green, Red so ff0000ff gives the color red.

Good point. My Windows is not activated either. I'll try changing the RGB BGR again tomorrow.

Maybe it is related to the fact that personalization settings are disabled till Windows is activated. Maybe this affects API too.

When new value is written to registry, the app performs few api calls, probably they kill new value.

• 4 months later...