Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

setting up file associations ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

KapnJackSparrow

KapnJackSparrow

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-August 12
setting up file associations ?

does anyone know where they are stored in the registry ?

or if there are any programs that would allow me to export a .reg file of my file associations so that I wouldn't have to set them up after every new installation?

many of the applications used are using a static absolute path that is the same for multiple operating systems.

so for example I would like to be able to set .Avi files to be opened with J:\Vlc player\Vlc.exe right from the installation.
Please forgive the many questions, I am learning.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,420 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AVIFile

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html pic #20

add the line
regedit %source%files\MyRegFile.reg /S
presuming you have a folder "Files" in the root of your install CD/DVD and the REG file is inside it.

This will import registry entries.

Cheers

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
This program is very useful when setting your own file associations:

PortableFileAssociator

You can set and remove them in one click and there's also an option to save the settings permanently (by default they are removed once the application has been closed). It may take some time to define all of the extensions at the beginning but once set up you can restore them anytime very easily.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,564 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
AFAICR, nothing beats Wassociate:
http://wstudios.home...iate/index.html

jaclaz

KapnJackSparrow

KapnJackSparrow

Junior

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 01-August 12
Thank you :D this seems to be exactly what I was looking for :thumbup

it works for most stuff.

I am having some difficulty getting the file associations for Avi and Mkv files working, since they seem to be more complicated, does anyone know if the registry keys used by vlc media player for file associations are posted somewhere?

and if it is possible to remove windows media player without breaking shell media handler? or at least remove as much of it as humanly possible.

Edited by KapnJackSparrow, 23 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Please forgive the many questions, I am learning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users