copying wireless network passwords?

KapnJackSparrow

it doesn't quite seem to do what I want, I suppose I could tray attacking it with reg mon, and file mon to see where it is retrieving that information from but that's somewhat more complicated then I was hoping for.

basically what I am looking to do is find and include this passwords into my nlite installation. either via file, reg key or both.

unless I am missing something?

it doesn't quite seem to do what I want, I suppose I could tray attacking it with reg mon, and file mon to see where it is retrieving that information from but that's somewhat more complicated then I was hoping for.

basically what I am looking to do is find and include this passwords into my nlite installation. either via file, reg key or both.

unless I am missing something?

Have thoroughfully reviewed the given page? :unsure:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Export And Import Wireless Keys

Starting from version 1.50, you can select one or more wireless keys, export them into a text file by using the 'Export Selected Items' under the File menu, and then import these keys into another computer by using the 'Import Keys From Export File' option.

Before you start using this feature, you should be aware that there are some problems/limitations:

• The import feature only works on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or later, including Windows 7, Windows 2008, and Windows Vista. You cannot use the import feature on Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. As opposed to the import feature, the export feature works on any system, including Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.
  • The import feature on Windows XP/SP3 is very slow, and WirelessKeyView may temporary hang during the import process.
  • The wireless keys stored inside the export file are not encrypted, so if you're concerned about the security of your network, you should keep this file in a place where unauthorized users cannot read it, or simply delete it after the import process is finished.
  • The import feature only works with a text file created with the 'Export Selected Items' option. You cannot use the import feature with the files created by the 'Save Selected Items' option.
  • Your wireless network adapter must be active when using the import feature. If you have a USB wireless adapter, you must plug it before you start the import process.
  • If you have multiple wireless network adapters, a separated key entry will be added for each adapter.

jaclaz

yes I have reviewed the page and played with the program a bit and I want to thank you for the useful tool. it's a step in the right direction.

However the problem is that using this method requires that after using WirelessKeyView to export the keys, I then need to then launch WirelessKeyView Again from the new operating system and go through the Graphic user interface in order to import those keys. unless I can include the program and the instructions to import those keys into an nlite run-once it's not what I am looking to do. anyone know of how I could enter that into the run once context? or perhaps what process is used to register those keys so that I could make a script to do it?

the idea is incorporate the wireless network passwords right into the installation so that it will not require any further user input, if I can find the file where this is stored I should be able to use a batch-file and do a straight copy. if it is stored in a registry key than I can import that at the same time as the other registry tweaks I have made.

Edited by KapnJackSparrow

??? SCROLL DOWN a bit to "Command-Line Options". (sheesh!)

edit -

...and yes, you WILL have to add to "runonce"...

It ALSO states where in the REG "Registry/File Location of The Stored Keys".

As I don't have Wireless, just try it.

Edited by submix8c

yes I have reviewed the page and played with the program a bit and I want to thank you for the useful tool. it's a step in the right direction.

However the problem is that using this method requires that after using WirelessKeyView to export the keys, I then need to then launch WirelessKeyView Again from the new operating system and go through the Graphic user interface in order to import those keys. unless I can include the program and the instructions to import those keys into an nlite run-once it's not what I am looking to do. anyone know of how I could enter that into the run once context? or perhaps what process is used to register those keys so that I could make a script to do it?

the idea is incorporate the wireless network passwords right into the installation so that it will not require any further user input, if I can find the file where this is stored I should be able to use a batch-file and do a straight copy. if it is stored in a registry key than I can import that at the same time as the other registry tweaks I have made.

I am not sure to understand the issue (actually I am sure I do not understand it :ph34r:).

The thingy has command line usage:

Command-Line Options

/import <Filename>

Import the wireless keys stored inside the specified file, that was created with the /export command-line option.

Example:

WirelessKeyView.exe /import "c:\temp\wireless_keys.txt"

The issue is that the

Your wireless network adapter must be active when using the import feature. If you have a USB wireless adapter, you must plug it before you start the import process.

BTW a minimum of data on the location of the keys is given:

Registry/File Location of The Stored Keys

Windows XP and Windows Vista stores the wireless keys in completely different locations:

Windows XP: The wireless keys are stored in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\[interface Guid].

Windows Vista: The wireless keys are stored in the file system, under c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc\Profiles\Interfaces\[interface Guid]. The encrypted keys are stored in .xml file.

What is the problem in running the tool as Runonce or RunOnceEx or however at first GUI boot? :unsure:

jaclaz

P.S.: Sorry submix8c, cross-posting :blushing:

Edited by jaclaz