Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Put desktop shortcut on taskbar in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mike13

mike13

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
I have been trying to get a "desktop" icon or shortcut on the taskbar so I do not have to minimize everything when I want to get back to the desktop. I have Googeled it and got several solutions but have been unsuccessful so far. Windows 7 had that little rectangle to the far right on the taskbar, but not on Windows 8. Some of the instructions tell you to get the shortcut on the START menu. That works but then I need to hit the Start button, and then search for the desktop shortcut. I also tried several times to PIN the shortcut to the taskbar, again, no luck. I have downloaded Classic Shell, to get the Start button back etc. maybe that is stopping me. Suggestions please, Mike

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Mr Snrub

Mr Snrub

Former MSFT

• Super Moderator
  • 775 posts
It's in the same place on Windows 8 - move the cursor to the bottom-right corner when you have the desktop up, and left-click.

My TechNet Blog
I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

mike13

mike13

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
Mr Snrub---You are correct, Thanks. I guess I did not see it because there is no line as was in Windows 7. But when I put the mouse down there and click, I come back to the desktop like I wanted. Thank you again, Mike

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
you'd have to re-enable quick launch to have it shortcuted like in past

then in notepad:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=shell32.dll,34
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

save as "show desktop.scf"

Edited by vinifera, 25 November 2012 - 05:58 PM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN