Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Users folder moved to other partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

dariods

dariods

• 17 posts
  • Joined 14-December 09
Hi,
In win 7 by default files downloaded by browser or download manager, files transferred by camera or scanners and so on are saved in the C:\Users folder.But incase a format is required saving the files is a very tedious job.
Is a good idea to move the user folder to D drive?
On re-installation of windows using the method to move user folder,will it work i.e the data stored by software would get restored?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Yes. Yes it should.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,420 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

I don't know about the entire user folder but you can move things like your desktop, downloads, favorites, my music, my pictures, etc. Simply open Windows Explorer and go to <username>. Cut and paste the folders to D. The registry will automatically be updated.

Don't forget to then do a daily backup of your D drive to a separate physical disk so that you don't ever lose your data.

Edited by -X-, 26 November 2012 - 02:21 PM.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

x509

x509

• 28 posts
  • Joined 24-March 09

Hi,
In win 7 by default files downloaded by browser or download manager, files transferred by camera or scanners and so on are saved in the C:\Users folder.But incase a format is required saving the files is a very tedious job.
Is a good idea to move the user folder to D drive?
On re-installation of windows using the method to move user folder,will it work i.e the data stored by software would get restored?

Alternatively, I store no user data under the folder \users\myWindowsID. I store all user data., including downloads, documents I create with MS Office apps, Quicken files, everything, in folders in a separate D (DATA) drive. When, not if, Windows gets messed up, I just reload the OS, apps, etc. Apps like Norton Internet Security self-update anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users