Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WPI development is cancelled indefinitely

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I am debating fixing the one remaining bug I can in WPI and stopping development for the foreseeable future (Maybe longer) I will keep the site and stay active in the forum so that I can retain control of distribution and everything,

I am just not getting support. I would like to thank the 6 people that hove donated to WPI in the last 6 months.

Starting from June 15th when mritter sent me $16 I have received $111 dollars. (That's accounting for well over 100,00 downloads of WPI from wpiw.net.) It is also distributed by many sites like cnet, filecluster, softpedia and majorgeeks.

I am sorry guys I just had my 39th birthday on the 8th and my youngest turned 18 on the 19th of Nov. Finding the will to keep plugging away for not even enough for Pepsi when my pc overheats and bsods all the time (Plus I have some major i/o transfer issue with my mobo, I cant use usb thumb drives or dvd drives data transfer errors all the time)

EDIT: If you send through paypal as a gift to kelsenellenelvian@gmail.com (My paypal address) neither of us will incur any charges. Also ad a note as it is for WPI please.

I give up.

My mobo just smoked and it looks really bad. Memory area is toast.

I hope my harddrive is good and ok.

WPI is officially on hold.

I cannot do this for nearly no support anymore.

.... sent from my phone.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 19 December 2012 - 12:41 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

alfreire

alfreire

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 07-August 11
Strongly agree...
Regards and thanks... ;-)

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
After more thought I realized I am loosing sight of my original ideals.

WPI is mainly freeware! I will not go to a tier level system! I will keep a available corp license but it will be moved down to 100 usd.

I will just trudge along and be very grateful to those that do donate and assist!

Merry Holidays!

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Thank you for this and all your help, hard work, WPI, and friendship over the years. Happy Holidays to you as well. I hope each year gets a little easier.

Cheers and Regards my friend

Posted Image

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
As was previously posted I changed my decision on licensing. WPI will remain freeware (Except for business usages)

I am starting a fundraiser for PC repair and domain costs.

PLEASE give as much as you can!

P.S. My birthday is Dec 8th.

P.P.S. If you send through paypal as a gift to kelsenellenelvian@gmail.com (My paypal address) neither of us will incur any charges.

onlyrasel

onlyrasel

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07
Thanks for your decision.

mritter

mritter

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Joined 13-November 05
I used to love programming WPI. What Kel is experiencing now, I also did. I put all my time and effort into WPI with very little return. I didn't expect anything, but when I did get a donation it motivated me again. Knowing someone appreciates what you are doing kept me working on WPI from one to ten hours a day. There was hardly a day when I didn't write code. It was a very rewarding several years. Except for the weight I put on sitting at my desk all night instead of doing something active.

But, as the regular users know, I ultimately burned myself out. I haven't written code in over a year. My main computer died, I haven't fixed it. Can't afford to and not all that concerned about it right now. I sit on the couch and use my HTPC and just surf the web.

I keep telling myself I need to get back into writing code. Either with WPI again and/or finish my JavaScript email program. I even started to work in Java for Android apps. Lost interest right away. The passion isn't there any more.

Why? Not to sound shallow, but, lack of donations. Kel and I never expected to become rich from WPI by any means, But when our hardware breaks and we can't afford to replace it, WPI suffers. When I am buying books and paying for code to make WPI better, with no financial return, I thought twice about it the next time. Domain names aren't free. Burning CD/DVDs for testing over and over slowly adds up. Kel and I mailed materials back and forth; postage isn't free. We used to talk on the phone for hours working things out. Someone has to pay the phone bills. There are so many little things end-users don't think about what the managers put into creating a worth-while project, be it hardware or software. I have done both.

Kel has been in charge of WPI for twice as long as I was involved. I can see he is on the verge of giving up or cutting back. If you want WPI to continue to be supported and improved, so him that you appreciate what we have done.

It's Christmas. 'Tis better to give than receive. But in this case, you will receive something: gratitude and continued support of WPI.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Wow thank you so much m8....

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

After more thought I realized I am loosing sight of my original ideals.

WPI is mainly freeware! I will not go to a tier level system! I will keep a available corp license but it will be moved down to 100 usd.

I will just trudge along and be very grateful to those that do donate and assist!

Merry Holidays!

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I would like to thank hobbitshire for his $15 donation.

The only 1 I have received since well before making this thread.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Received 2 more donations today.

1 for $16
1 for $10

Thanks guys

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

Kel has been in charge of WPI for twice as long as I was involved. I can see he is on the verge of giving up or cutting back. If you want WPI to continue to be supported and improved, so him that you appreciate what we have done.

Anyone have any clue just how I can stop WPI and NOT have it turn into a hfslip style fiasco?

It seems like almost no-one really gives a sh*t anymore...

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Total donations in the last 7 months?

$111 Dollars.

Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

.script developer

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 11-May 06
Well, allow me to be vocal about this matter.

WPI is a great tool, thank you very much for keeping it solid and updated across all these years. :)
WinBuilder - XP/Vista LiveOS projects
nuno? --> pics

Do you really like Windows PE? Then you should really try pe21.003 - http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=130308
Very cool project.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I am debating fixing the one remaining bug I can in WPI and stopping development for the foreseeable future (Maybe longer) I will keep the site and stay active in the forum so that I can retain control of distribution and everything,

I am just not getting support. I would like to thank the 6 people that hove donated to WPI in the last 6 months.

Starting from June 15th when mritter sent me $16 I have received $111 dollars. (That's accounting for well over 100,00 downloads of WPI from wpiw.net.) It is also distributed by many sites like cnet, filecluster, softpedia and majorgeeks.

I am sorry guys I just had my 39th birthday on the 8th and my youngest turned 18 on the 19th of Nov. Finding the will to keep plugging away for not even enough for Pepsi when my pc overheats and bsods all the time (Plus I have some major i/o transfer issue with my mobo, I cant use usb thumb drives or dvd drives data transfer errors all the time)

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I give up.

My mobo just smoked and it looks really bad. Memory area is toast.

I hope my harddrive is good and ok.

WPI is officially on hold.

I cannot do this for nearly no support anymore.

Those of you who visit wincert and ryanvm please pass the word.

.... sent from my phone.

AmazingGecko

AmazingGecko

• 17 posts
  • Joined 07-November 12
First of all, like many others I'm sure, I'm sorry to hear that your PC has given up the ghost - everyone's worst nightmare!

Secondly, the internet sadly does breed a culture of getting something for nothing which if you're dealing with a multi-corporation with an ad based revenue stream is understandable. However, it's not rocket science to realise that there are people out there, genuine coders and app creators like yourself, that are doing it for nothing more than the hope that it will be used and appreciated.

Troy, I think you've probably gone on longer than most would without the support you clearly need at the moment. I had already decided to make a donation before reading your thread simply because I think WPI is such a great tool. After reading the thread it really made me think about the expenses you're incurring that I'm indirectly benefiting from and made me glad that I did donate.

In real world terms those few donations may cover some of your telephone or electricity bills, repair costs or towards replacing new parts. If only we could remember this when using third party software that is being developed by one person sat in his home office working on an ageing PC that is ready to fail at any moment. This is not a sympathy drive people - this is REAL LIFE!

Thanks for the many hours you've put into this project Troy and hope that at the very least you'll be able to answer our WPI queries when we need help.

Regards
James

uphold2001

uphold2001

• 17 posts
  • Joined 02-January 13
I've donated a bit of my personal funds in addition to purchasing a business license. I for one would hate to see WPI go by the wayside. It's too handy to NOT have around.

alfreire

alfreire

• PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Joined 07-August 11
Some time ago I do not get into the forum, I feel you abandon the project... I made a small contribution (within my means), I hope is helpful... Paypal ID: 3UU54660UB249823H
I wish you well...
Regards and thanks by all... ;-)

In spanish:
Hace algún tiempo que no entro en el foro, siento que pares el proyecto... He hecho un pequeño aporte (dentro de mis posibilidades), espero sea de ayuda...
Te deseo lo mejor...
Saludos y gracias por todo... ;-)

Edited by alfreire, 12 January 2013 - 03:32 AM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
After some very deep thought this is the best solution I can come up with:

I haven't stopped development of WPI. Here is the change-log for the next version so far.

v8.6.4 Updates - Released ?????, 2013
====================================================
*** TONS of manual internal fixes and corrections.
*** Minor installer.hta cleanup.
*** SystemEnclosureType fix.
*** Added in wmi detection FirewallProductName, AVProduct.
*** Fixed the extra buttons not showing on USB by default.

This is what I am willing to do for those who have supported WPI:

I will (Upon a request AND agreement that you will not share or distro the supporter releases of WPI publicly) Share the new versions with people who have shown support.

The every couple of versions (Say 4-5 or so) I will release a public version.

Is this agree-able?

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
*** Connectedtointernet is now a visible condition.
*** isdesktoploaded is now a visible condition.
*** Changed a ton of <nobr> tags.
*** Lots of minor fixes to the internal .htm files.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
*** Officially added myselfidem to the developers. WELCOME!
*** Diskchanger enhancements.
*** Restored var OSProps, winMgts;.
*** Connectedtointernet is now a visible condition.
*** isdesktoploaded is now a visible condition.
*** Changed a ton of <nobr> tags.
*** Lots of minor fixes to the internal .htm files.

I am ready to release this version.

ONLY to supporters who send a request via pm or email.

What is required? Proof of donation or link to the mod\bugfix submitted. Plus you have to agree not to publicly share the "Supporter" releases.

myselfidem

myselfidem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10
Many many thanks Kels for the Welcome! :)

However, I'm not a professional but passionate.

Thank you for keeping your tremendous development program!

Thanks and regards
For Windows 7 OS: SetProductKey.rar (fr-FR/en-US. Integrate keys).

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Your exactly the kind of quality control I need...

myselfidem

myselfidem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10
It is an honor. Thank you very much.
For Windows 7 OS: SetProductKey.rar (fr-FR/en-US. Integrate keys).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users