CD Player Won't Play My CD-RW Audio CD

FlierMate

That CD Player is part of car accessory sold in my country as Proton Saga 1.3L.

Strange are, it plays CD-R audio CD, but not CD-RW audio CD (Error 6).

No problem on my Windows 7 PC, of course.

I actually burnt the MP3 using Windows Media Player to many of the CD-Rs and now CD-RW.

Is it due to the particular model of the CD Player installed in the car?

I have never found a consumer grade CD player that was capable of playing an audio CD burned to a CD-RW. Last time I tried such things was over ten years ago, so it is possible that such players do exist.

Thank you for your reply. Glad to know such players do exist. When you said "consumer-grade CD Player", what class of CD Player in the other end will play CD-RW burned as Audio CD? Perhaps "industrial-grade"?

I have never found a consumer grade CD player that was capable of playing an audio CD burned to a CD-RW. Last time I tried such things was over ten years ago, so it is possible that such players do exist.

Thank you for your reply. Glad to know such players do exist. When you said "consumer-grade CD Player", what class of CD Player in the other end will play CD-RW burned as Audio CD? Perhaps "industrial-grade"?

Consumer Electronics stuff. The CD player in your car, or your discman, or the CD player you have in your home theater system. Most disc players have logos of what formats they support on them. It might be possible that some of the "advanced" multi-disc players could read an audio CD-RW... such as those DVD upscalers, PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm not sure what the capabilities of the Wii are... and not sure about a PS2.

Consumer Electronics stuff. The CD player in your car, or your discman, or the CD player you have in your home theater system. Most disc players have logos of what formats they support on them. It might be possible that some of the "advanced" multi-disc players could read an audio CD-RW... such as those DVD upscalers, PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm not sure what the capabilities of the Wii are... and not sure about a PS2.

A good deal of information. Thanks a lot!

Most car players read mp3/wma files now so unless yours is very old, why bother making an audio-cd ? I've played mp3s on cd-rw in my cars since at least 8 years, but I can't remember trying an audio cd-rw. The car I have now has a USB connector so I don't burn cd's anymore. That USB system even plays m3u playlists. I should try playlist on mp3-cd just for the sake of it. I'll report later.

Most car players read mp3/wma files now so unless yours is very old, why bother making an audio-cd ? I've played mp3s on cd-rw in my cars since at least 8 years, but I can't remember trying an audio cd-rw. The car I have now has a USB connector so I don't burn cd's anymore. That USB system even plays m3u playlists. I should try playlist on mp3-cd just for the sake of it. I'll report later.

I haven't try a MP3 CD on it... Thank you for the suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a few things. The car is a Ford and I got it in august this year, so even if the stereo is not top of the range, it's fairly new (and as I wrote earlier, it has a connector for USB device/stick in the glove compartment). It does play audio cd-rw. The cd part does not see m3u files, I guess it only recognizes MP3 and WMA files. It also doesn't read DVDs (with mp3 files on it for instance).

• 4 months later...

Little update on the .m3u ability; unlike the MediaPlayers on computers I use (Winamp or 1by1 for instance), the car system can't find the files that are not in the folder or subfolders where the .m3u file sits. So you have to create the m3u in the root of your music folder for it to "see" everything. -> "Compatibility" is not 100%. :}