MSFN.org a Professional Forum

FlierMate

Everytime I sign in, I am lost, staring at the well-organized and classified sub-divisions, and have nowhere to begin.

I am not sure what does it mean by "Unattended ....Windows XP / Vista / 7", can someone explain it to me?

And, is Windows 98 now free to download and use? What are the main purpose of contributions from the members, are they for a tweak, or customized-solutions?

I am even ignorant where to post this topic..... Perhaps someone can point me to the right direction in using this forum (without much violation of the forum's rules, you know :angel ).

Thank you for any replies.

The unattended sections are primarily for installation of Windows. The other sections are for use of Windows.

Windows 98 is not freeware. I can't speak about the member projects.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

For example, if I want to ask the pricing of Windows 8, which section is more appropriate for that? Or only technical questions allowed?

Dude... SERIOUSLY?

There are MAJOR Groups on the Main Page. The remainder are sub-divisions. And under/within that MIGHT be an additional sub-sub-divisions. I can clearly see a descriptive within each. In fact, each sub-division/sub-sub-division MIGHT even have a FAQ, and USUALLY has "Stickies" which should be checked BEFORE posting any new Topics (these are the "important" topics").

This is THE most well-organized Forum I've encountered! The only complaint ANYONE ever had was "Search" that can be overcome by using Google Advanced Search and giving MSFN as the Site to search within, ignoring any other websites.

And, is Windows 98 now free to download and use?
NO WAY!!!! No MS Software is so-called "abandonware". Buy originals at flea markets, eBay, craigslist, etc.
What are the main purpose of contributions from the members...
You answered your own question. Just append "etc" to that.

This truly isn't worthy of the reply I just gave. (is there a WTF emoticon?)

Thank you Patron, for your guidance. I have understood better now.

I have somemore to consult you, it is more cultural English...

Dude... SERIOUSLY?

When you ask "Seriously?", does it mean I was not serious enough to pose the question? Or you mean I was joking?

This truly isn't worthy of the reply I just gave. (is there a WTF emoticon?)

This sentence is a bit tricky for me to understand. Can you help to translate to simple English...?

No offence intended. I am studying American slangs and trying to understand Western culture, for example, in following the forum rules and etiquettes.

Thank you very much, Patron.

For example, if I want to ask the pricing of Windows 8, which section is more appropriate for that? Or only technical questions allowed?
You can ask (in the appropriate sub-forum and YES that's the one), but we would really appreciate you doing your own legwork on such a trivial question. We are "Santa's Helpers" - YOU be Santa. ;)

The Gods help those that help themselves (not implying anything with this).

Google (or any) Translate may help with your confusion.

My intent with the response is - MSFN Forum Sections (etc.) are self-evident. Think first - if incorrect, it will be moved/removed (whatever) by a Moderator (etc). No biggie...

Rules are here in a link - read (translate) them and act accordingly. ;)

edit - BTW, I notice you posted this topic in the appropriate area. and... DOH! I made a post when I COULD have edited the other one above. :(

Edited by submix8c

meh isn't it a fact when MS drops support/updates for OS that it is abandonware thus free

AFAIK every win version including XP RTM (SP0) comes to this

Ummm... nope! Not even DOS is abandonware. Read this Wiki. Copyright is copyright - if found out and enforced, you could be in deep darks...

Indeed, just because it's "no longer supported" doesn't mean abandoned - it's still being sold. Don't be fooled and tread lightly! ;)

(off-topic much?)