Best New PC to install Windows 2000

AnX

Hello. I would like to get a new Custom built PC, but one that I can install Windows 2000 on.

I have gathered some specs from an available PCmaker

Processor: Intel Pentium (Dual core)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Intel G41 Chipset

and a 500GB HDD.

What are the necessities while installing Windows 2000 on such a machine? I'm stuck on a cruddy Lenovo which doesn't support Windows 2000, so I have to use Windows 7.

I'm not sure about the socket, but the Mobo is a Gigabyte. I'll have to check later.

I think at least half of the new parts you buy can still work with Windows XP drivers when installed on Windows 2000. Some problems you may have are webcams which I'm currently investigating myself, and also wireless network adapters. Blackwingcat and tomasz86 have unofficial drivers for ATI and nVIDIA cards. If you stick with Realtek onboard audio (if that's indeed what the board comes with), their latest high def drivers do work with Windows 2000 with no problems that I've found. Or if you prefer a sound card, I'd go with a SoundBlaster X-Fi, which I have myself and I love and works just fine. Wired network cards aren't always that picky either, but that may have changed in the past year or two. If I were you, I'd post what you're interested in and we might be able to point you in the right direction. As for RAM, unless something changes, it'll only recognize about 3GB. PAE was in experimental stages but there were some issues with it. As for installing Windows 2000, unless you have access to a Windows XP disk that you can use to cheat with on drive creation and formatting, you need to have SP4 and a few other updates so that setup will read the entire 500GB disk, otherwise it'll only see 137GB.

As for software to go with it, the latest things that can work with Windows 2000 with kernel extension or unofficial update rollups are:

Microsoft Office 2007 (might not be full suite, can't remember)

Latest Google Chrome/Mozilla Firefox browsers

Latest FotIt PDF reader

Windows Media Player 10 (11 will work but is slightly broken still)

Latest VLC Player

Windows Defender

FastStone Image Viewer (If you prefer a free Windows Fax and Photo Viewer alternative with more bells and whistles)

Hopefully this list will get you started on a decent up to date machine.

Edited by SearanoX

Thanks. I knew these parts are Windows 2000 compatible. Now I can order them.

My USB wireless works with Windows 2000 anyway, not a problem.

Also, is the Desktop Pentium compatible with Windows 2000? My lenovo has a laptop Pentium and it won't install Win2K unless the second core is disabled, which is pointless.

That's strange, it should be dual core compatible. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz and it works just fine with both cores operational. What kind of errors do you get when you install it with both cores enabled? Have you tried re-enabling dual core when you finish installing?

Nothing. It just freezes. Strange thing I've seen an i7 laptop using the same Nehalem technology as my laptop... Windows 2000 installed without problem...

I think it's the problematic processor. I might get an i7 laptop along with my desktop in the future. Or an i5. I have an i5 that I can test on whether it's Win2K compatible or not.

Actually it is Windows 2000 compatible, but I don't have an i7 or an i5, nor can I get one. I'll just have to stick with the Pentium.

I'm getting the PC today, I'll have you updated on Windows 2000 installation. It would also help if tomasz86 would see this topic.

Let's hope that it works.

I know about Windows2000.tk . I had created that "How to install Google Chrome and Latest Firefox on Windows 2000 + Updated Win2K ISO" video. I featured your UUrollup and your Windows 2000 website is featured on my website.

Right now I use avast antivirus, and it's highly likely they will cancel Win2K support in 2013 on the latest avast program. However this does not pose a security threat as virus definition updates on the last version of Win2K avast (the ones that keep you secure) will continue for a long time.

Right now avast 4.8 is still getting definition updates and you could use it as your antivirus. Other stuff UUrollup will cover.

Well, we will prepare the Win2K box soon.

Edited by AnX