Installing New Windows XP Updates

Monroe

Before this thread becomes the usual Firefox vs. Opera, a couple words of warning to duffy98:

The world is made of two kinds of people:

1. those who use Opera (and SRware Iron from time to time :yes: )
  2. all the others (using *any* other browser)

The second kind (by far the larger majority, more than 95% of the people using a browser) will endless try to convince the very few in the first group that their Opera browser is inferior (for whatever reasons).

The first kind will simply and silently keep on using Opera (and do things much faster and in a more secure way than the second group ;)).

jaclaz

Opera is good because it's very fast (same level as Chromium) while being also MUCH lighter at the same time, thus you can use it even on an older computer. I use mostly Firefox nowadays but Opera was my main browser for many years and I didn't really have any serious issues with it.

The real problem is that due to the fact that very few people use it there aren't many extensions available for it. Especially bigger players like Evernote don't even consider making their products available for Opera :( It's also being developed at much slower pace than Firefox / Chromium which means that some functionalities are added later than in case of the other browsers (ex. the HTML5 drag&drop support). Many popular websites also sometimes aren't completely compatible with Opera (I don't think they even test their code with the browser :}).

Edited by tomasz86

Naah, the real problem are the added costs :ph34r: of deciding NOT to standardize on a single modern browser or to support or allow the use of nonstandard browsers in the enterprise.

;)

and following few posts up to here:

jaclaz

I used WSUSoffline to download all of the updates last year (about 1GB worth). After installing and verifying that everything seemed to work I backed up the entire HDD (also had a backup of the original OS install without updates), and haven`t checked for anymore updates since then.

Also an Opera user btw, but I have stuck with 9.25 for the past five years. I will not give it up until they un-break the image browsing capability http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=968982&abc=&page=4&skip=150&show=&perscreen=50

edit: lol after posting I decided to do some more research and found out that this behavior can be fixed by editing image.css

Edited by ihateusernames