XPSF2 slipstreamed with SP3 is greater than 700M

chl2012

You are quite welcome. Hopefully, you can now see why we were confused when you quoted a post, didn't edit it in any way, and added no content of your own. We had no idea what you were trying to say.

Here's to better communication in this post apocalyptic time! LOL

Cheers and Regards

Yesterday I said I would add WinXP Updates and IE8 Updates to my XP + SP3 nLite slipstreamed. I did that and found a surprising result: The XP + SP3 was 622 MB and the XP + SP3 + Win Updates + IE8 Updates is 652 MB. How can that happen?? I know there changes in the IE8 Update that was mentioned in this Forum and on the web listing were not made as I was so sure that the size would be > 700 MB.

Now I need to see what addition(s) should be added or replacements made. There is a lot of additional material which needs to be considered. There are also some good ideas from Mr. K-- to be considered.

With the help of some members of this Forum, there is Hope in Mudville.

The XP + SP3 was 622 MB and the XP + SP3 + Win Updates + IE8 Updates is 652 MB. How can that happen?? I know there changes in the IE8 Update that was mentioned in this Forum and on the web listing were not made as I was so sure that the size would be > 700 MB.

Because:

The updates = 128MB but they wont take up that much space on the disk. Most just replace files. The same goes for the IE8 add-on but not as much.

Since you are slipstreaming the IE8 add-on don't forget about...

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
  3. If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

Sometimes the new replacement files are actually smaller than the original files, hence less space taken up.

Also, now that the first hurdle is over, be aware of the request that is posted at the top of the nLite forum section, and that has been mentioned, I think, in this thread. (If not, it should have been.)

If you are having issues with Windows after removing components and have come to ask for help, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance.

This allows us to better help you no matter what nLite problem you are having. If you need help in knowing how to attach your Last Session.ini file to your post, just ask for assistance. (But there is a link at the bottom of the "create post block" window - "Help with attaching files" - which might suffice.)

EDIT: OT - Everyone will know who you mean, and no offense will be taken, if you prefer to refer to "Mr. K--" as "Kel".

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

What is the last quote all about?? What Windows components have been removed??I don't have any Last Session file that I am aware of. I delete Last Sessions because I want to know what is being added or included. Thanks again for your comments.

What is the last quote all about?? What Windows components have been removed??I don't have any Last Session file that I am aware of. I delete Last Sessions because I want to know what is being added or included. Thanks again for your comments.
If you remove something, the Last Session INI file will say so. It also tells what was Slipstreamed and in what order. Nobody said you did, it's just "standard practice" so we'll be able to easily assist. It's unnecessary to delete them - you can create a new "set"/"pair" each nLite run OR reuse any previous one by selecting it.

Don't get excited... so far so good. ;)

edit - P.S. - the file is both in the nLite folder and the resultant Output/ISO/CD. ;)

Edited by submix8c

I fear I have a straightforward Windows problem which I have never seen before. Saw 2 times today:

In a previous post the corrections to the IE8 Update or Addon were listed. Web addresses. I went to one site 9all are MS sites) to download the corrected change, and instead of the usual WinXP file name I got a string of about 8-10 characters. What can one do with that? Is Bill and Company getting an early start on killing XP??

The Last Session.ini is a record of everything nLite thinks it was told to do the last time it was run, not just removals, and as submix8c says it can also be used to rerun an nLite run exactly without having to go in and manually reselect all the various options and possibly miss one. If you have any problems, It will help us discover if there are any differences between what you told nLite to do and what nLite thinks you told it to do. The quote is standard boilerplate we use at the top of many of the nLite help threads here in the forum. It became mandatory for folks that "just removed a few things, nothing important" and then wondered why their install failed.

Cheers and Regards

I fear I have a straightforward Windows problem which I have never seen before. Saw 2 times today:

In a previous post the corrections to the IE8 Update or Addon were listed. Web addresses. I went to one site 9all are MS sites) to download the corrected change, and instead of the usual WinXP file name I got a string of about 8-10 characters. What can one do with that? Is Bill and Company getting an early start on killing XP??

Which site and I'll look for you.

EDIT: If you meant the three specific sites listed above, the full title is still there, while the string of characters are the KB article. Is that what you meant? Can you post a screenshot of the part of the page that is confusing you? Or at least provide the link and type the line or two that has the troubling characters.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

No. When I went to the MS site, the name of the file was what I expected. Looked normal. I downloaded the file, but it came up with the 11 characters only. I thought if I download the file, the usual name will somehow appear. It didn't. I got this 11 charactern blob which I have never seen before -- anywhere.

I will be interested in you findings.

Again from the faq in the actual main nLite thread...

Also you can manually remove allot from your disk pre-nLiteing.

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

My source I did this with was a MSDN XP SP3 .iso

DOCS, VALUEADD, DOTNETFX and SUPPORT Folders. This will free up 60.9 megs. (DOTNETFX doesn't exist on XP gold. None of these files or folders are used during a standard install)

SETUPXP.HTM

README.HTM

Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:

WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.7 megs. These 3 folders are only needed is your upgrading or migrating from an older OS.

If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you can also delete the LANG folder. This will free up approximately 99 megs (This may vary) Also these files are so old by now you would be better off getting updated ones.

With all of this removed you clear up 197 megs.

My Bare sp3 disk size without updates? = 386 megs!

I will try to use the proper technique to write this comments/questions on your post.

1. You say your source is an ISO file for XP and SP3. Did you use something like IsoBuster to get the files out of the ISO? If not, would you comment further?

2. I see most of the files/folders you mention, but not all in my XP SP3.

3. My XP is an upgrade copy from Win98. So I assume it is an upgrade. MS asks for proof that Win* does exist in XP installation.

4. I will delete the LANG when it appears.

5. I haven't seen anything like WIN9XMIG, etc. If I do, I will remove them.

The first question is the most important to me, as I do not see using the ISO file unless you BUST it.

Sorry this was not more clearly connected, but until today, I really had no idea how to make comments to Posts.

Thanks for your help. You have made it possible to see that nLite can be useful in this task.

I hope I can now post these comments/questions.