Windows 98 on Floppy Disks?

coolman

I recall hearing that Win98 (Build 4.10.1998) was made available on 39 DMF-formatted floppy disks. Do you know anywhere I could get them other than ordering them from Microsoft? (You can't do that anymore) My CD-ROM drive broke. Please don't tell me to get another CD-ROM drive. I'm really disappointed with people that keep asking me this.

Edited by coolman

Seriously, replace the optical drive. Probably less than $20 new but people are throwing them out like crazy. Should easily get one for free if you look around.

ADDED:, as tomasz86 says, you can copy the CDROM to a directory on a HDD and run setup from there in DOS after booting from a newly formatted HDD or a startup floppy.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Seriously, replace the optical drive. Probably less than $20 new but people are throwing them out like crazy. Should easily get one for free if you look around.

ADDED:, as tomasz86 says, you can copy the CDROM to a directory on a HDD and run setup from there in DOS after booting from a newly formatted HDD or a startup floppy.

Well like I said, my CD-ROM drive broke. I don't know a way I would be able to read the CD.

Then you really should buy a new CD-ROM drive. You can a used one for $5 or even less.

Like I said in my original post, please don't ask me to get a new CD-ROM drive. If you can't come up with anything constructive please don't answer.

Sorry but this is really the simplest and easiest solution. If you really want to buy the floppy disk version of Windows 98 then go to eBay or other websites and look for it. It will be way more expensive than a new CD-ROM drive (that is if you ever manage to find it).

Edited by tomasz86

I'm sorry if we keep suggesting that you do something that you don't want to do, but where did you think you could get a copy of Win98 on floppy for less money than a used, or even new CD-ROM drive will cost? I can't think of any option to find such a set other than eBay. But even if someone had a set they were willing to give you for free, with Win98 already loaded on them, postage alone to mail them to you is likely to cost more than a CD-ROM drive. That many blank floppy disks, IF you can find them, will definitely cost more than that. Not to mention that install by floppy, or even just copying from 39 floppy disks to your HDD will be slow as all get out and prone to error. Perhaps if you could explain why you do not wish to pursue replacing your CD-ROM drive it would make more sense or we could offer you another alternative.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I used to use floppies a lot back in the nineties... seems like every other week they ended up getting corrupted or bad sectors. So, as soon as just one disk gets one error, and one lousy kilobyte of data is corrupted, then the whole shebang will be useless. I don't recommend using floppies for anything more than DOS Boot disks.

The first time I had to replace a CD-Rom was like two years ago, on my Windows ME machine. It lasted for like ten years, but then one day just died. I figured, well, that it's my computer is toast. Nope. I was wrong. It's really simple.

All I had to do was (1) open up the computer case, (2) unscrew the 2-4 screws holding the CD-Rom in place, (3) remove the two cables from the back of the CDROM, (4) slide/pull out the defective CD-Rom drive.

To install a new or used one, you just reverse that process. I didn't have to install any software, change anything in the BIOS, or do anything in Windows... the computer detected it all by itself and it was like nothing was different.

Once you take out the drive, just write down the model number and brand on a piece of paper. Go to ebay and buy the exact same model if you're paranoid about compatibility issues. It really only takes like 5 minutes max.

What are you going to do when you floppy disk drives breaks? You're gonna have to replace it.

I'm sorry if we keep suggesting that you do something that you don't want to do, but where did you think you could get a copy of Win98 on floppy for less money than a used, or even new CD-ROM drive will cost? I can't think of any option to find such a set other than eBay. But even if someone had a set they were willing to give you for free, with Win98 already loaded on them, postage alone to mail them to you is likely to cost more than a CD-ROM drive. That many blank floppy disks, IF you can find them, will definitely cost more than that. Not to mention that install by floppy, or even just copying from 39 floppy disks to your HDD will be slow as all get out and prone to error. Perhaps if you could explain why you do not wish to pursue replacing your CD-ROM drive it would make more sense or we could offer you another alternative.

Cheers and Regards

I cannot replace my CD-ROM drive because I have tried to replace it about 4 times with 4 different drives and the drives had never wanted to work.

Edited by coolman

I cannot replace my CD-ROM drive because I have tried to replace it about 4 times with 4 different drives and the drives had never wanted to work.

But have you SHOUTED at them hard enough? :unsure:

jaclaz

I looked at that FAQ and tried everything but nothing worked.

Fair enough. But, to me, that sounds like a basic problem with your system, or your CD-ROM drive supplier, that I would want to get fixed, rather than just working around it by using floppies to install. Just my opinion, I'll drop it now. Sorry I don't have a better suggestion for you. Good luck.

Cheers and Regards

Your CD drives may be just fine--it sounds like the controller is disabled in the BIOS or you have a bad cable. Now (before you install a new system) is a very good time to revisit your BIOS settings and check all the hardware cabling.

In BIOS, make sure both IDE controllers are enabled and then have them autodetect the attached drives. I recommend putting the HDD and CDR on different controllers (different cables) both jumped as Master. Use new cables if you have any.

If you only have one good cable, you can put both drives on the same cable. Put the HDD (jumped as Master) on the end connector and the CDR (Slave) in the middle.

You will be much happier with this system once you get it running if it has a working CD drive! :yes:

Your CD drives may be just fine--it sounds like the controller is disabled in the BIOS or you have a bad cable. Now (before you install a new system) is a very good time to revisit your BIOS settings and check all the hardware cabling.

In BIOS, make sure both IDE controllers are enabled and then have them autodetect the attached drives. I recommend putting the HDD and CDR on different controllers (different cables) both jumped as Master. Use new cables if you have any.

If you only have one good cable, you can put both drives on the same cable. Put the HDD (jumped as Master) on the end connector and the CDR (Slave) in the middle.

You will be much happier with this system once you get it running if it has a working CD drive! :yes:

I checked my BIOS settings and everything is fine. I am 99% sure this is a good cable because it is a brand new one that I bought off eBay. I am probably going to have to get my BIOS flashed..