Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7 folder sharing issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DeltaForceLeader

DeltaForceLeader
  • 3 posts
I have an external Western Digital My Book drive connected to a Windows 7 Ultimate PC that I am using as a file server for my network. Due to the personal content on the drive I have the drive secured using the WD SmartWare software. However, this has caused a side effect. Every time I shut down or restart the server it "forgets" all of the shared folders. Windows remembers all of the shared folders on the other external drives that are unsecured so I know it is not a problem with Windows itself. What I have decided to do is set up a batch file to restore all of the shared folders and permissions that I can execute after a reboot. Unfortunately, I am having trouble getting the commands to work properly. This is the command I am using:

NET SHARE {share name}={path} /GRANT:{username},FULL

When I enter this command I get the following "syntax" message:

The syntax of this command is:

NET SHARE
sharename
sharename=drive:path [/GRANT:user,[READ | CHANGE | FULL]]
[/USERS:number | /UNLIMITED]
[/REMARK:"text"]
[/CACHE:Manual | Documents| Programs | BranchCache | None]
sharename [/USERS:number | /UNLIMITED]
[/REMARK:"text"]
[/CACHE:Manual | Documents | Programs | BranchCache | None]
{sharename | devicename | drive:path} /DELETE
sharename \\computername /DELETE

I have tried this command and it works:

NET SHARE {share name}={path}

Therefore, the problem is obviously with the user information. I would appreciate any help with this issue.

P.S. I have tried entering the user as both a username and domain/username combo.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,763 posts

Donator

NET SHARE {share name}={path} /GRANT:{username},FULL

When I enter this command I get the following "syntax" message:

There must be an error in how you are typing it. I just tested this command it and it works fine using an elevated command prompt:

net share intel=c:\intel /GRANT:test,FULL

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

DeltaForceLeader

DeltaForceLeader
  • 3 posts

There must be an error in how you are typing it. I just tested this command it and it works fine using an elevated command prompt:

net share intel=c:\intel /GRANT:test,FULL

Thank you! I forgot to use an elevated command prompt. That is why the command wouldn't work.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,763 posts

Donator

That's great. I did some research on that software and found just about nothing about sharing the drive (other than the backup) and didn't look forward to troubleshooting a software compatibility problem.

:thumbup
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

DeltaForceLeader

DeltaForceLeader
  • 3 posts

That's great. I did some research on that software and found just about nothing about sharing the drive (other than the backup) and didn't look forward to troubleshooting a software compatibility problem.

:thumbup

Yeah, the problem is that since the drive is encrypted until unlocked with a password, Windows cannot read it at start-up and therefore deletes the shares from its list. If I couldn't get the batch file working (which I have fully tested and is working thanks to you) my only other option would be to permanently unlock the drive. Thanks, again! :hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN