RDP 8.0 update for Windows 7

xpclient

So like always used to, Microsoft has made available for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, the RDP 8.0 update: http://support.micro....com/kb/2592687. It adds *some* RDP 8.0 features. But there is also a catch. When using RDP 7 from Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise client to Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise host, there was a cool feature called Aero Glass Remoting means full Aero experience was enabled over RDP!! Now with KB2592687 installed, this feature is REMOVED from Windows 7 hosts when Windows 7 clients connect to it!! Aero features like Flip 3D, Peek, thumbnails stop working over RDP Windows 7 Ultimate to Ultimate when this is installed.

So again, KB2592687 is a case of something nice added, something broken/crippled/removed. It also removes the Shadow command used for used for monitoring an active remote session and has a number of other known issues. Just be careful of installing it, if you don't want to lose Aero Glass over RDP (it only works in Ultimate/Enterprise client to Ultimate/Enterprise hosts anyways). But I am confused. This is madness. Why is MS crippling Windows 7's RDP features? Why would anyone want to gain new features in exchange for old ones?

Edited by xpclient

Clearly, you and I are simply ill-equipped to recognize the classic beauty of blinding-white sharp-pointed drop-shadowless flattened two-dimensional 8-bit-color windows with typesetting and two-color icon designs ripped off from the bowels of the public subway system. :lol:

I feel your pain brother, and I watched it in near real-time on that infamous Destroying Windows blog post ( where you tried to knock some sense into their empty skulls :thumbup ).

"These stylistic elements represented the design sensibilities of the time, reflecting the capabilities of the brand-new digital tools used to create and render them. This style of simulating faux-realistic materials (such as glass or aluminum) on the screen looks dated and cheesy now, but at the time, it was very much en vogue." -- Jensen Harris

What an unbelievable mess of rationalizations in that embarrassing post to justify their abrupt shift from a nicely improved GUI back to Windows 1.0 quality amateurish crap.

On this New Year's Eve let us all resolve to help shove Windows 8 Metro and all its evil spawn into an early and deep grave.

win7glass.png

windows-8-desktop-interface-color-changfe.jpg

That first desktop (the beautiful one) looks like it's Vista, is that right? (The image bleeds off the right edge of my screen and I can't scroll over to that end to see what the "For testing" legend says.)

--JorgeA

P.S. Never mind -- as soon as I submitted my post, the image was resized and I could read the whole legend. So then, a new question: What did you do to get that convex Taskbar, and the Power and Lock buttons for the Start Menu, in Windows 7? Or is that because it's an early Win7 build?

Edited by JorgeA

Or is that because it's an early Win7 build?

They're from Google Images. Funny you bring this up because it reminds me of something else about that Destroying Windows blog post.

Recall that the whole point was to drop the bomb on the public about killing the visuals. What Jensen Harris did in that post was show desktop screenshots of Windows 1, and then 3.x and then XP. He did not do the same with Vista and 7, the two immediate predecessors and most directly related to the dropping of Aero Glass and the softer geometry of rounding and shadows and stuff ( there were only a couple of small captures of Aero ). So it was a sleight of hand even in the presentation by avoiding the views of the Vista and 7 desktops. He shows the early yuk versions and of course the Luna Bliss theme with the green and blue which he knows will elicit a "playskool" response from the mSheep peanut gallery ( a theme can be quickly changed, Jensen Harris! Your abomination cannot. )

Normally I would pull the comparison images right from the Microsoft blog post, but their was nothing. Consequently Google Images.

this is the PDC08 Build from Windows 7. This was one of the last builds without the new taskbar which was activated in Builds 69xx

Thanks, Andre. It looks pretty nice, too bad they didn't go with that look.

--JorgeA

Recall that the whole point was to drop the bomb on the public about killing the visuals. What Jensen Harris did in that post was show desktop screenshots of Windows 1, and then 3.x and then XP. He did not do the same with Vista and 7, the two immediate predecessors and most directly related to the dropping of Aero Glass and the softer geometry of rounding and shadows and stuff ( there were only a couple of small captures of Aero ). So it was a sleight of hand even in the presentation by avoiding the views of the Vista and 7 desktops. He shows the early yuk versions and of course the Luna Bliss theme with the green and blue which he knows will elicit a "playskool" response from the mSheep peanut gallery ( a theme can be quickly changed, Jensen Harris! Your abomination cannot. )

Great point! You're right, he did avoid showing any decent images of the Vista/Win7 desktop which would have made the contrast immediately obvious. Sneaky.

--JorgeA