[Solved] BSoD on startup

Zapeth

Hello, here I am with a new problem :P

Everytime I want to boot up my Windows 98 SE system, I get a Bluescreen before he loads up the login screen (so the autoexec.bat is still called successfully and shows up on the screen).

I took a picture of it.

I believe this is because of some conflict with my Sound Card (Diamond Monster MX300) and nusb (3.5) because previously when I didn't had the sound card plugged in I had no problem booting up.

After inserting the sound card and installing its drivers however, the bluescreen occured. At first I thought it was some driver issue of the sound card (because it occured when the SoundBlaster emulation driver of the card was being installed) but after I reformmatted and reinstalled the system I could install the card just fine (there are also no sound issues with it).

Then I tried to install nusb again just to experience the Bluescreen after a reboot so it has to be some kind of conflict (I believe he crashes when either the usb or the sound card drivers are loaded but I'm not sure).

Now I would like to have usb 2.0 support for my system but I also want the sound card to run with it (since the win98 system is the last one to fully support it).

So I hope you guys can either help me fixing this conflict so I can have both nusb and the sound card running on the system or suggest me some kind of alternative to nusb that I can try out to see if it works any better ;)

Edited by Zapeth

Go to Device Manager in safe mode and remove ALL USB devices and controllers aswell as the sound card and see what happens on next reboot.

I did that at least for the sound card already, after that I could boot again but when reinstalling the drivers I just had the same issue again after a restart.

The problem is that when I want to install nusb (but have the sound card already installed) he only copies the relevant files into the system folders and then reboots but I never get to the process where he actually installs the device in the device manager, the bluescreen comes before that (or did I understand something wrong here?).

Besides I fear the issue is deeper than just an unstable version of something but I'll try it out with the other version and perhaps again with reinstalling the drivers when I have some free time ;)

@edit from submix: sry but what should I get from that? That I should try out USB20DRV.EXE instead? If it makes USB's supportable again I'll gladly try it :P

Besides I also found out something about an "USB2.0_v2.06.exe" that was floating around at some point in the net but I could only find a link on a ftp which requires access permissions -> ftp://www.siig.com/USB2.0_v2.06.exe

Could it be that that is the same file?

Edited by Zapeth

NO it is NOT the same! Follow the links I gave, do some reading, AND follow the NUSB Install Instructions (right in the links - REQUIRED or FAIL)! The Instructions given to you was NOT for the Sound Card! The only other item that MIGHT get you (???) is an IRQ Conflict (but BSOD???).

Edited by submix8c

IMO, you should always install NUSB and any other Operating System updates BEFORE you attempt to install add on (or even onboard) cards.

Are you using a USB Keyboard or Mouse? If so these count as USB Devices and must be removed also. See this thread (applies more directly to the USP, but applies to NUSB as well).

EDIT: And DO NOT! use USB20DRV.EXE.

Edited by LoneCrusader

NO it is NOT the same! Follow the links I gave, do some reading, AND follow the NUSB Install Instructions (right in the links - REQUIRED or FAIL)! The Instructions given to you was NOT for the Sound Card!
I'm aware that those instructions are not for the soundcard. A fact that I did overlook though is that I always had a VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller driver package installed before installing NUSB. But that didn't gave me any problems since the system was working fine before installing the soundcard.

Also the whole "Remove ALL unknown devices." will be difficult for me since 3 of them are onboard and practically "unremovable".

In any case I did a fresh Win98 install where I only installed the drivers that were recognized by Windows itself (nothing else) and ended up with these unrecognized devices

PCI Ethernet Controller
PCI Multimedia Audio Device (sound card)
PCI Multimedia Audio Device (onboard)
PCI Universal Serial Bus

And I have those items in the Universal Serial Bus controller section:

USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Now my question is, should I remove any of these before doing the NUSB install? And once I install it, should I install the VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller driver package afterwards or should I leave it with that?

Are you using a USB Keyboard or Mouse? If so these count as USB Devices and must be removed also. See this thread (applies more directly to the USP, but applies to NUSB as well).
I work with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, currently there are no USB devices connected whatsoever. Edited by Zapeth

I did that previously but hadn't the time to get it off the computer until now. I also looked through it but couldn't find anything relevant except these lines at the beginning:

[00104A34] Loading Vxd = ndis2sup.vxd
[00104A35] LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd

However I didn't boot into cmd afterwards but rather into safe mode, I hope that doesn't make any difference?

I also have it uploaded with the .prv file included, maybe you could take a quick look? -> http://www.mediafire.com/?2oq25k930aqjxud

Edited by Zapeth

I question the purpose of using NUSB if you already have VIA USB 2.0 Drivers. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Hmm... this and this seems to be where this all started from.

Perhaps it would best serve you to provide SPECIFIC hardware make/model beyond just the Hard Disk and Sound Card.

should I remove any of these before doing the NUSB install? And once I install it, should I install the VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller driver package afterwards or should I leave it with that?

The Install Instructions are pretty explicit -

1 - DO WHAT IT SAYS - EVERYTHING!

2 - NO, do NOT use any other USB Drivers! That's what NUSB is supposed to do. You defeat the purpose and cause failures.

Edited by submix8c

I question the purpose of using NUSB if you already have VIA USB 2.0 Drivers. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Maybe I understood something wrong here. But Windows 98SE definitely doesn't recognize any USB devices I connect to it when I just have the VIA drivers installed.

And as I said earlier, the system ran just fine with both the VIA USB drivers and NUSB installed previously with the only difference, that I actually could connect USB devices to it.

Hmm... this and this seems to be where this all started from.
I never used at any point non-official software except for NUSB
Perhaps it would best serve you to provide SPECIFIC hardware make/model beyond just the Hard Disk and Sound Card.
Do you mean list all the hardware I have in my PC? Alright,

Motherboard: MSI KT3 Ultra2-C VIA KT333 Chipset based
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Graphics Card: Voodoo5 5500 AGP
Sound Card: Diamond Monster MX300
RAM: 512 MB (I do not know any more details than that)

And an IDE 20GB HDD, DVD drive and a Floppy drive

All the drivers I installed were taken from the official websites or were at least officially released by the manufacturers and I did my best to get the latest for each device.

edit:

The Install Instructions are pretty explicit -

1 - DO WHAT IT SAYS - EVERYTHING!

Also the whole "Remove ALL unknown devices." will be difficult for me since 3 of them are onboard and practically "unremovable".

And how should I solve that?

edit2: Okay, I didn't know that you could actually remove unknown devices from the device manager, shame on me :P

Edited by Zapeth

OK, that helps - Refresh this page and look at my last post. You haven't been following instructions. ;)

Addendum - That file listed in the Boot Log has nothing to do with NUSB. You are causing a failed 98SE install by ignoring instructions. There is MORE than just USB Drivers in the package. Extract it with (e.g.) 7-Zip and have a look-see!

edit - and PERHAPS the Sound Card is causing some kind of "conflict" with USB (IRQ, Memory, etc.).

Edited by submix8c

Okay, this time I tried my best to follow the instructions ;)

Went into safe mode, removed all USB related devices/drivers in the driver manager as well as all unknown devices. Then I did a reboot, again into safe mode (I did a quick check in the device manager to make sure that all those devices were still removed) and installed NUSB 3.3

After that again a restart, he found all the removed devices again as well as the USB drivers. He also asked me if I should overwrite some files with older ones (usb related), I said no to each. Then he also found a VIA USB 2.0 Controller though he offered me to simply install it as a normal VIA USB Controller, I did the recommendation (the first one).

Then again a reboot and after that I installed the graphic drivers. That went fine and after that I tried it again with the sound card.

Drivers were located, he went on with the installation and again, when he got to (the end of) the SoundBlaster emulation driver (that's just the last of the drivers that gets installed for the sound card so I'm not sure if the problem is related with that exact driver) I got a bluescreen again :(

I also did a second bootlog but as far as I can tell it's the same as the previous one.

I guess I'll just reformat the whole thing again and do an installation without NUSB, I still can use linux to transfer files from an USB device to the hard drive.

If someone comes up with another suggestion, I'll gladly try it though :P

Edited by Zapeth

Too bad you didn't write down WHICH "files to overwrite", as EXPLORER.EXE Date is OLDER than 98SE's "stock" one.

Also, is this the driver you're using for the sound card? Give it a shot...

Then he also found a VIA USB 2.0 Controller though he offered me to simply install it as a normal VIA USB Controller, I did the recommendation (the first one).
Sorry, I don't understand that.

This (even though no reply given) implies that the card needs to be in a different slot? I've had some "oddball" cards that refused to function properly unless moved.

Looking for something on Monster and so far found not much useful.

AH!! Found the User Guide.

http://178.63.46.56/users/files/24f/67/436_Driver_pour_Diamond_Multimedia_MX300.pdf

FWIW, here's a newer Beta Driver for it

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/multimedia/Diamond/MonsterSoundII/102rel.exe

Edited by submix8c

Too bad you didn't write down WHICH "files to overwrite", as EXPLORER.EXE Date is OLDER than 98SE's "stock" one.

Oh I didn't know that (nor did I read it anywhere in the nusb thread). I guess I'll retry the install without the explorer.exe being replaced because I believe that he crashes when he is trying to execute it (or running it).

However I'm fairly sure that there wasn't an explorer.exe amongst the files he asked me to keep/overwrite.

Also, is this the driver you're using for the sound card? Give it a shot...
I can't open that link, do you have some kind of special browser?

Anyway, I'm using the 2050 drivers, I tried it before with 2048 but it seems that both don't work. I guess I can try it with an older version but I would prefer to use the latest drivers.

Sorry, I don't understand that.
Okay then I'll explain exactly what happened:

After the NUSB files were installed and I did a reboot, he went through the whole device installation process again. First he automatically installed a "VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller", after that he installed an USB Root Hub.

Then he prompted me with a device installation window where I had the choice to choose from a list or use the recommended driver.

The recommended driver was a "VIA VT 8235 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller" and the one from the list was the one he installed previously, "VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller".

And I chose to install the 2.0 controller.