[Solved] BSoD on startup

Zapeth

Look at my previous post - I edited it.

That link you can't get to is the HP Website. You must be using a browser that doesn't work.

Here's the link to it ("Original v1 Driver")

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp16001-16500/sp16454.exe

The "older date" file in NUSB is the one you want. I would say you need to start from "scratch" (reinstall the OS) and do NOT install Via USB Drivers at ALL (if you have a Driver Install Package)!!! Let the OS do the USB stuff. Then, install the Sound Card to see if you are still OK. THEN follow the NUSB Instructions TO THE LETTER. I'm betting you've "horked" the OS by doing things wrong.

You ARE aware that you need to install the VIA Chipset Drivers after your Initial Install, aren't you?

This your MotherBoard (one has Network, one does Not)? Chipset Drivers are there... DO NOT install the USB Drivers! You want the NUSB Replacement!!! (Documentation for two different SouthBridge)

Odd, it says it already has OnBoard Sound - you want to use the Diamond instead? DISABLE The Onboard in the BIOS (or SOMEWHERE)!!!

Look at my previous post - I edited it.

That link you can't get to is the HP Website. You must be using a browser that doesn't work.

Here's the link to it ("Original v1 Driver")

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp16001-16500/sp16454.exe

I got it now, it was some problem with my router/firewall.

I'm actually using the reference drivers for the sound card (the official ones from Aureal), not the ones from the manufacturer (Diamond) himself since they are very outdated compared to the reference ones. You can find them by searching for the Aureal AU8830 drivers and they should work fine with the sound card itself (actually they do work fine since I already tried them).

The "older date" file in NUSB is the one you want. I would say you need to start from "scratch" (reinstall the OS) and do NOT install Via USB Drivers at ALL (if you have a Driver Install Package)!!! Let the OS do the USB stuff. Then, install the Sound Card to see if you are still OK. THEN follow the NUSB Instructions TO THE LETTER. I'm betting you've "horked" the OS by doing things wrong.
Ok then, just to get things straight:

1) Reformat and reinstall Windows

2) Let Windows install all drivers (only those that are found on the Win98 disk and on the system itself)

3) Install the VIA Chipset drivers (those are actually in a package as you can see in the MSI download section, should I install all of its contents anyway?)

4) Install the Sound Card drivers (I actually did those steps already so I can say for sure that the sound card works and the OS boots well at this point)

5) Install NUSB:

5a) Boot into safemode and remove all the previously found USB relevant devices in the device manager as well as all devices that are listed as unrecognized/unknown

5b) Reboot again into safemode (otherwise all those devices I removed previously will be gone) and install NUSB (but without overwriting the explorer.exe?)

5c) Reboot into normal OS, hope that everything goes well and install the USB stuff as I did previously? (with the 2.0 controller install)

This your MotherBoard (one has Network, one does Not)? Chipset Drivers are there... DO NOT install the USB Drivers! You want the NUSB Replacement!!! (Documentation for two different SouthBridge)
Yes that's my MB but I don't have the CL version, just C (Standard version).

Also I didn't touch the VIA USB drivers in my last attempt, that was all NUSB only.

Odd, it says it already has OnBoard Sound - you want to use the Diamond instead? DISABLE The Onboard in the BIOS (or SOMEWHERE)!!!
Yes I want to use the sound card instead, I'll disable the Onboard sound before reinstalling Win98. Edited by Zapeth

You got it EXCEPT!!! 5a and 5b - The Instructions say NOTHING about "safe mode". Combine into "Remove Devices then Install NUSB then Reboot". Re-read the Instructions. And let NUSB files "stomp" on any other files...

Yes, you probably are causing a conflict between the OnBoard and Add-In. BIOS has a place to disable - disable ALL Onboard sound-related devices (Midi/Game and AC97). (I snagged the manual to double-check)

?Hopefully the Aureal Reference Drivers are OK - one would "assume" they are (you said so)...

Fair Warning - I will "assume" that NUSB would be installed LAST after any other Official Updates. Unofficial are a bit trickier (NUSB is one of them). Example - some updates WILL install a different Explorer (IE6? Can't remember).

You got it EXCEPT!!! 5a and 5b - The Instructions say NOTHING about "safe mode". Combine into "Remove Devices then Install NUSB then Reboot". Re-read the Instructions. And let NUSB files "stomp" on any other files...

So ignore all that stuff about explorer.exe?

Also after the reboot when he asks me to overwrite some files should I keep all files I already have? (since nothing of that is mentioned in the instructions)

They were all newer files and he wnated them to overwrite with older ones so I guess I should keep them.

Yes, you probably are causing a conflict between the OnBoard and Add-In. BIOS has a place to disable - disable ALL Onboard sound-related devices (Midi/Game and AC97). (I snagged the manual to double-check)
Yes it has. Should I disable Midi/Game aswell?
Fair Warning - I will "assume" that NUSB would be installed LAST after any other Official Updates. Unofficial are a bit trickier (NUSB is one of them). Example - some updates WILL install a different Explorer (IE6? Can't remember).
Are you suggesting I should do some other installations before installing NUSB like IE6SP1?

1 - On Reboot let it do WHATEVER and do NOT say "no" to anything!

2 - YES, I said ALL sound-related (your card has all of that)

3 - YES, it's always best to install Official FIRST and then Unofficial if you're doing individuals.

I think he got the "Safe Mode" point from one of my posts in another thread. I told him to remove all instances of his USB HDD in Safe Mode (because installed devices not currently connected don't show up in Normal Mode, but do in Safe Mode.)

This is the order that I use when setting up a new system; it may be no better or worse than anyone else's here.

REMOVE ALL add in cards (except Video of course) and DISABLE ALL onboard Audio, LAN, Modem, etc in the BIOS.

Install Windows 98SE.

Install DirectX 9.0C.

Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers.

Install Video Card Drivers.

Install IE6SP1.

Install WMP7.1 (or WMP9 if you prefer, or ignore this step if you don't use WMP).

Install NUSB.

Install any other Official or "Unofficial" Updates you plan to use at this point. In my case RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch for example.

(As you can see I prefer to update various pieces of the OS BEFORE introducing 3rd party software/drivers as much as possible)

Install Sound Card (insert add on card or re-enable onboard in the BIOS, whichever you're going to use).

Install Sound Card Drivers.

Install/enable LAN card..... and continue the process.

Installing/Enabling new devices one at a time decreases the chances for conflicts and allows you to pinpoint where & when issues arise.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I think he got the "Safe Mode" point from one of my posts in another thread. I told him to remove all instances of his USB HDD in Safe Mode (because installed devices not currently connected don't show up in Normal Mode, but do in Safe Mode.)

Yes indeed :)

Anyway, this time I did exactly what I described before (with the difference that I did install the ie6sp1 after installing the chipset and the NUSB installation according to the intructions which means I did not go into safe mode at all and did the device removal and installation in one session) and here's how it went:

Up to the NUSB install everything went fine (no surprise). When I finally did install NUSB and rebooted he actually managed to boot up (maybe because the drivers were not yet installed?).

So I logged in and he installed all the devices as I described earlier, this time I wrote down the files he asked me for (I said yes each time which means he kept those (newer) files):

uhcd.sys

usbd.sys

usbhub.sys

Then he wanted me to point him to these files which I found in the according folders:

hotplug.dll - windows/temp/ixp000.tmp (this has to be the nusb temp install folder right?)

usbui.dll - win98 cd (found that one nowhere else)

Shortly after that that file process happened again (because there are two devices which are the same, namely VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller?) and I did everything as before.

Alright that went fine too, then he found a (yet) uninstalled device (network adapter) and went into explorer. So I rebooted the system (according to NUSB instructions) and was greeted with yet another bluescreen. This one was a little different but a bluescreen nonetheless and at the same point of booting up:

picture1quz.th.jpg

I believe it actually is some conflict with the NUSB drivers and the sound card drivers. Perhaps someone with the same sound card can try it out to confirm this issue?

And no I won't try installing different drivers (at least for the sound card) nor will I try to install the drivers in different ways since I strongly doubt that it has to do anything with that (sure it won't hurt if one does everything according to instructions but it doesn't mean that it's the one and only way to do it).

I actually tried to swap back to the old explorer.exe after this whole installation (since it wouldn't matter, the bluescreen is already there and won't go away and I'm going to reinstall everything anyway) but that also made no difference.

So unless someone comes up with a whole new suggestion other than "sticking directly to instructions" I'll just let this problem rest in peace and accept that NUSB has no place in my system. As I said before, I can still help myself with linux (for copying data), it might be a little bit laborious but does work.

Thanks to all people here anyway who tried to help, I really appreciate it ;)

Edited by Zapeth

Anyway, this time I did exactly what I described before (with the difference that I did install the ie6sp1 after installing the chipset and the NUSB installation according to the intructions which means I did not go into safe mode at all and did the device removal and installation in one session)
No, you did NOT! I specifically told you NUSB AFTER IE6, as did LoneCrusader!
Install Windows 98SE.

Install DirectX 9.0C.

Install IE6SP1. <--see this?

Install WMP7.1 (or WMP9 if you prefer, or ignore this step if you don't use WMP).

Install NUSB. <--see this?

Maybe it IS best you "give up" since you refuse to follow instructions.

If it works, don't fix it. I gave links to where this all started from (post #18 pointing to YOUR Topics). If there is no issue without NUSB, don't bother...

note: NUSB doesn't cure everything in regards to USB-attached Devices. Read the NUSB Thread for more info. ;)

Edited by submix8c

I SERIOUSLY doubt that NUSB is the root cause of your troubles.

For the record, NUSB extracts copies of all the "new" files it installs to C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS so if any files are requested during driver installation, the installer should be directed there.

The version of EXPLORER you are using is irrelevant.

If you had a "Network Adapter" show up during the installation of USB devices, then you must not have disabled it in the BIOS. ;)

If you insist on claiming that NUSB is the cause and refuse to entertain the possibility that the Sound Card and/or its drivers may be the problem, then there's not much more we can do to help you.

If you want "no frills" external USB Drive support, you can check out RLoew's USB Storage Drivers. Scroll down to "USB" and download "USB.ZIP."

Edited by LoneCrusader

This is the order that I use when setting up a new system; it may be no better or worse than anyone else's here.

REMOVE ALL add in cards (except Video of course) and DISABLE ALL onboard Audio, LAN, Modem, etc in the BIOS.

Install Windows 98SE.

Install DirectX 9.0C.

Install IE6SP1.

Install NUSB.

Install any other Official or "Unofficial" Updates you plan to use at this point. In my case RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch for example.

(As you can see I prefer to update various pieces of the OS BEFORE introducing 3rd party software/drivers as much as possible)

Install Sound Card (insert add on card or re-enable onboard in the BIOS, whichever you're going to use).

Install Sound Card Drivers.

Install/enable LAN card..... and continue the process.

Installing/Enabling new devices one at a time decreases the chances for conflicts and allows you to pinpoint where & when issues arise.

Patches that are required during Boot, such as my RAM Limitation Patch, High Capacity Disk Patch, Bootman or Terabyte Plus, must be installed during or possibly before Installation of Windows. They can only be installed later, as you have indicated, if you can insure that they are not needed earlier, such as by removing RAM, not partitioning above 137GB, not using SATA, etc.

Patches that are required during Boot, such as my RAM Limitation Patch, High Capacity Disk Patch, Bootman or Terabyte Plus, must be installed during or possibly before Installation of Windows. They can only be installed later, as you have indicated, if you can insure that they are not needed earlier, such as by removing RAM, not partitioning above 137GB, not using SATA, etc.

True, I should have clarified that. I usually do not install more than 512MB of RAM until I have reached that point.

note: NUSB doesn't cure everything in regards to USB-attached Devices. Read the NUSB Thread for more info. ;)

Thank you soooo much for pointing this out. When will others realize that everyone hardware is different. To top it off, it is not so much the Unofficial packs but the files inside them. Microsoft updates of bugs. I even suggested patching files because a file that may work on my system may not work on yours. I hope the OP gets his system working.

No, you did NOT! I specifically told you NUSB AFTER IE6, as did LoneCrusader!
Install Windows 98SE.

Install DirectX 9.0C.

Install IE6SP1. <--see this?

Install NUSB. <--see this?

Maybe it IS best you "give up" since you refuse to follow instructions.

I'm sorry, I was writing my post in a hurry and it seems that I posted it in an ambiguous way (sometimes I tend to forget some words that I wanted to write down :P). What I actually meant to say was
(with the difference that I did install the ie6sp1 after installing the chipset and I did the NUSB installation according to the intructions which means I did not go into safe mode at all and did the device removal and installation in one session)
So I believe I actually did install it correctly.
If it works, don't fix it. I gave links to where this all started from (post #18 pointing to YOUR Topics). If there is no issue without NUSB, don't bother...

Are you referring to the VIA USB drivers? The thing is that they don't work correctly (or at least not in a way that lets me use an USB device). Every USB device I connected was recognized by the system but no drivers were found for it so I'm unable to use the device.

And I was aware of the fact that NUSB doesn't give the guaranteed support for using USB devices like in NT based systems.

The version of EXPLORER you are using is irrelevant.
It was worth a try since I was reinstalling everything afterwards anyway.
If you insist on claiming that NUSB is the cause and refuse to entertain the possibility that the Sound Card and/or its drivers may be the problem, then there's not much more we can do to help you.
I did not say that NUSB was the cause of the trouble, I just have the suspicion that the sound card drivers and NUSB don't work well together for whatever reason.
Well, I DID suggest getting a DIFFERENT Sound Card Driver version, but the OP INSISTED theirs was "better".
I actually did a lot of research for the soundcard and its chipset and in terms of functionality the reference drivers are in fact better.

In terms of stability and compatibility I can't exactly tell (since its hard to gather info on such old things nowadays) but I also read posts from some people that actually had trouble with the driver from the manufacturer.

Of course I could try those drivers but my priority for that PC is Sound Card functionality > USB support and thats why I don't want to switch to other drivers.

Edited by Zapeth