Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[Solved] BSoD on startup

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,161 posts
Well, I DID suggest getting a DIFFERENT Sound Card Driver version, but the OP INSISTED theirs was "better".

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

I think he got the "Safe Mode" point from one of my posts in another thread. I told him to remove all instances of his USB HDD in Safe Mode (because installed devices not currently connected don't show up in Normal Mode, but do in Safe Mode.)

This is the order that I use when setting up a new system; it may be no better or worse than anyone else's here.

REMOVE ALL add in cards (except Video of course) and DISABLE ALL onboard Audio, LAN, Modem, etc in the BIOS.
Install Windows 98SE.
Install DirectX 9.0C.
Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers.
Install Video Card Drivers.
Install IE6SP1.
Install WMP7.1 (or WMP9 if you prefer, or ignore this step if you don't use WMP).
Install NUSB.
Install any other Official or "Unofficial" Updates you plan to use at this point. In my case RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch for example.
(As you can see I prefer to update various pieces of the OS BEFORE introducing 3rd party software/drivers as much as possible)
Install Sound Card (insert add on card or re-enable onboard in the BIOS, whichever you're going to use).
Install Sound Card Drivers.
Install/enable LAN card..... and continue the process.

Installing/Enabling new devices one at a time decreases the chances for conflicts and allows you to pinpoint where & when issues arise.

Patches that are required during Boot, such as my RAM Limitation Patch, High Capacity Disk Patch, Bootman or Terabyte Plus, must be installed during or possibly before Installation of Windows. They can only be installed later, as you have indicated, if you can insure that they are not needed earlier, such as by removing RAM, not partitioning above 137GB, not using SATA, etc.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

Patches that are required during Boot, such as my RAM Limitation Patch, High Capacity Disk Patch, Bootman or Terabyte Plus, must be installed during or possibly before Installation of Windows. They can only be installed later, as you have indicated, if you can insure that they are not needed earlier, such as by removing RAM, not partitioning above 137GB, not using SATA, etc.

True, I should have clarified that. I usually do not install more than 512MB of RAM until I have reached that point.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

note: NUSB doesn't cure everything in regards to USB-attached Devices. Read the NUSB Thread for more info. ;)

Thank you soooo much for pointing this out. When will others realize that everyone hardware is different. To top it off, it is not so much the Unofficial packs but the files inside them. Microsoft updates of bugs. I even suggested patching files because a file that may work on my system may not work on yours. I hope the OP gets his system working.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Zapeth

Zapeth

• 17 posts

No, you did NOT! I specifically told you NUSB AFTER IE6, as did LoneCrusader!

Install Windows 98SE.
Install DirectX 9.0C.
Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers.
Install Video Card Drivers.
Install IE6SP1. <--see this?
Install WMP7.1 (or WMP9 if you prefer, or ignore this step if you don't use WMP).
Install NUSB. <--see this?

Maybe it IS best you "give up" since you refuse to follow instructions.

I'm sorry, I was writing my post in a hurry and it seems that I posted it in an ambiguous way (sometimes I tend to forget some words that I wanted to write down :P). What I actually meant to say was

(with the difference that I did install the ie6sp1 after installing the chipset and I did the NUSB installation according to the intructions which means I did not go into safe mode at all and did the device removal and installation in one session)

So I believe I actually did install it correctly.

If it works, don't fix it. I gave links to where this all started from (post #18 pointing to YOUR Topics). If there is no issue without NUSB, don't bother...
note: NUSB doesn't cure everything in regards to USB-attached Devices. Read the NUSB Thread for more info. ;)

Are you referring to the VIA USB drivers? The thing is that they don't work correctly (or at least not in a way that lets me use an USB device). Every USB device I connected was recognized by the system but no drivers were found for it so I'm unable to use the device.
And I was aware of the fact that NUSB doesn't give the guaranteed support for using USB devices like in NT based systems.

The version of EXPLORER you are using is irrelevant.

It was worth a try since I was reinstalling everything afterwards anyway.

If you insist on claiming that NUSB is the cause and refuse to entertain the possibility that the Sound Card and/or its drivers may be the problem, then there's not much more we can do to help you.

I did not say that NUSB was the cause of the trouble, I just have the suspicion that the sound card drivers and NUSB don't work well together for whatever reason.

Well, I DID suggest getting a DIFFERENT Sound Card Driver version, but the OP INSISTED theirs was "better".

I actually did a lot of research for the soundcard and its chipset and in terms of functionality the reference drivers are in fact better.
In terms of stability and compatibility I can't exactly tell (since its hard to gather info on such old things nowadays) but I also read posts from some people that actually had trouble with the driver from the manufacturer.

Of course I could try those drivers but my priority for that PC is Sound Card functionality > USB support and thats why I don't want to switch to other drivers.

Edited by Zapeth, 06 January 2013 - 03:37 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

There's another misunderstanding/miscommunication going on here. The VIA drivers you are referring to are for the internal USB 2.0 Hardware (hubs & ports) ONLY. VIA (or any other USB2.0 manufacturer) does NOT provide external USB Device support.

NUSB provides BOTH USB2.0 hardware AND USB external device support.

You MIGHT try this, to rule out issues from other sources and issues with the Microsoft USB2.0 drivers on VIA systems that seem to affect some users. (See the NUSB and USP threads for more info).

Do a clean install of 98SE as previously described.
Remove all USB and Unknowns from the Device Manager.
Install NUSB 3.5.

Once that is done, go into Safe Mode and remove all the USB Devices again, and then manually replace these files in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS folders.

USBPORT.SYS
USBHUB20.SYS
USBEHCI.SYS

With the ones from this package:
VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M

When you reboot, be sure to direct any file requests to C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS and NOT the 98SE CD.

If you get any "Keep newer file?" prompts on THOSE THREE FILES ONLY, say NO. (The VIA files have an older versioning scheme than the Microsoft ones so are treated as "older" by Windows.)

Edited by LoneCrusader, 06 January 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Zapeth

Zapeth

• 17 posts
Okay I did the whole setup the same way as last time except that I overwrote those files as you instructed and pointed the directory of the 'hotplug.dll' to the "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS" directory instead of the "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ixp000.tmp\" directory.

And this time it worked :w00t:

After restarting it again he started up just fine and after plugging in some USB devices he recognized/installed them flawlessly and I could access them as I wanted to.
So far I also didn't encounter any crashes or errors so everything seems fine so far.

Thank you very much LoneCrusader for pointing me to the solution :thumbup
And also thanks to all other guys involved in this thread for being so patient with me and trying to help me, I really appreciate it ;)

Just as a sidenote here, when I got into safe mode there were no USB or unknown devices listed (since the system didn't search for any in the meantime) and when the USB devices got installed I didn't get any MessageBoxes regarding the files I overwrote earlier, just for the files that I mentioned earlier (so it was basically the same process).

Edited by Zapeth, 07 January 2013 - 09:24 AM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

Okay I did the whole setup the same way as last time except that I overwrote those files as you instructed and pointed the directory of the 'hotplug.dll' to the "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS" directory instead of the "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ixp000.tmp\" directory.

And this time it worked :w00t:

After restarting it again he started up just fine and after plugging in some USB devices he recognized/installed them flawlessly and I could access them as I wanted to.
So far I also didn't encounter any crashes or errors so everything seems fine so far.

Thank you very much LoneCrusader for pointing me to the solution :thumbup
And also thanks to all other guys involved in this thread for being so patient with me and trying to help me, I really appreciate it ;)

Just as a sidenote here, when I got into safe mode there were no USB or unknown devices listed (since the system didn't search for any in the meantime) and when the USB devices got installed I didn't get any MessageBoxes regarding the files I overwrote earlier, just for the files that I mentioned earlier (so it was basically the same process).

Glad you got it straightened out. :thumbup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN