Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Updated SATA Driver List

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

r37ribution

r37ribution

• 37 posts
  • Joined 15-March 04
Confirmed! the Promise FastTrak SX4000 drivers work!(for windows XP) :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MajikUF

MajikUF

• 17 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04
Has anyone been able to get the VIA SATA 3149 working? (Integrated with A7V600)

This is different (apparently) from the viaraid that's in the one already in the XPCREATE.CAB because it won't integrate it for some reason. (Unless you can only add one SATA driver into the install?) I'm trying to make a universal disk for me and my friends, all with different motherboard bios(s).

Here is the OEM file that came with the drivers and I'm trying to pick the appropriate stuff out, this just isn't exactly my forte.

#
# format for txtsetup.oem.
#
# General format:
#
# [section]
# key = value1,value2,...
#
#
# The hash ('#') introduces a comment.
# Strings with embedded spaces, commas, or hashes should be double-quoted
#

# This section lists all disks in the disk set.
#
# <description> is a descriptive name for a disk, used when
# prompting for the disk
# <tagfile> is a file whose presence allows setup to recognize
# that the disk is inserted.
# <directory> is where the files are located on the disk.
#

[Disks]
d1 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT8237, \winxp
d2 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT8237, \win2000
d3 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT8237, \winnt40
d4 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ", \VT8237, \2003ia32

# This section lists the default selection for each 'required'
# hardware component. If a line is not present for a component,
# the default defaults to the first item in the [<component_name>]
# section (see below).
#
# <component_name> is one of computer, display, keyboard, mouse, scsi
# <id> is a unique <within the component> string to be associated
# with an option.

[Defaults]

scsi = VIARAID_VT3149_XP

# This section lists the options available for a particular component.
#
# <id> is the unique string for the option
# <description> is a text string, presented to the user in a menu
# <key_name> gives the name of the key to be created for the component in
# HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Services

[scsi]
VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2003 IA32)",VT8237
VIARAID_VT3149_XP = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows XP)",VT8237
VIARAID_VT3149_2K = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)",VT8237
VIARAID_VT3149_NT = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)",VT8237

# This section lists the files that should be copied if the user
# selects a particular component option.
#
# <file_type> is one of driver, port, class, dll, hal, inf, or detect.
# See below.
# <source_disk> identifies where the file is to be copied from, and must
# match en entry in the [Disks] section.
# <filename> is the name of the file. This will be appended to the
# directory specified for the disk in the [Disks] section to form the
# full path of the file on the disk.
#=======================================#
[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32]
driver = d4, viasraid.sys, viasraid
inf = d4, viasraid.inf
## Cat file directive. It should be marked with non-digital signed driver
catalog = d4, viasraid.cat

[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_XP]
driver = d1, viasraid.sys, viasraid
#dll = d1, setupvia.dll
inf = d1, viasraid.inf
catalog = d1, viasraid.cat

[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]
driver = d2, viasraid.sys, viasraid
#dll = d2, setupvia.dll
inf = d2, viasraid.inf
catalog = d2, viasraid.cat

[Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_NT]
driver = d3, viasraid.sys, viasraid
inf = d3, viasraid.inf

[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2003IA32]
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"

[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_XP]

[HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]

# This section specifies values to be set in the registry for
# particular component options. Required values in the services\xxx
# key are created automatically -- use this section to specify additional
# keys to be created in services\xxx and values in services\xxx and
# services\xxx\yyy.
#
# <key_name> is relative to the services node for this device.
# If it is empty, then it refers to the services node.
# If specified, the key is created first.
# <value_name> specifies the value to be set within the key
# <value_type> is a string like REG_DWORD. See below.
# <value> specifies the actual value; its format depends on <value_type>

[Config.VT6420]

value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1
#HP-Delete following line
#value = "Parameters\PnpInterface", 5, REG_DWORD, 1

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
I do believe it is included in the attached XPCREATE.CAB file. Perhaps it was you that sent it to me?

I don't think there has been a "failure" yet in this thread ... no reason to start now.

As for a generic CD that has all the drivers, the biggest risk would be in conflicts. One example is both the FASTTRAK and ULTRA drivers use hardware with the same PnPID (e.g. "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149"). Another example would be drivers that are simply incompatible. However, I'm sure you can get at least "most" of them in if you work at it.

Attached Files

MajikUF

MajikUF

• 17 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04
Fantastic. No, it wasn't me that sent it to you, but that new .CAB file definitely made it recognize the drivers that I put in my $OEM$ path.

I probably should have used a CD-RW for the first one, but I really thought it would work. :) Unfortunately, I made a XP Pro VM with VMWare and used my CD and it worked just fine... I guess it didn't need the SATA drivers.

Now I'm working on a TXTSETUP.INF issue (can't find it correctly for some reason and it's probably me just being an engineer and not reading everything to the last letter :rolleyes:) and I'll be 100% happy. I'm just 99.5% happy now. :D

hajj_3

hajj_3

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 17-March 04
has anyone tried the Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller on the abit nf7-s 2.0, not version 1, have they tried it with using raid, i dont want to mess my computer up as i am going to have to format in a few days and want to create a sp2 rc1 integrated that will last me until the final version is out in the summer.

jjn1056

jjn1056

• 23 posts
  • Joined 17-January 04
No luck with my Promise s150 TX4. This is on an IwillDPI533. Everything works fine if I use my driver floppy, so I know the hardware side is ok.

I'm using the latest XP Create I could find from your website.

This looks strange, since it appears to be doing everything one would expect. I find a fasttx2k.sy_ in the /386 directory, and I find the added stuff in txtsetup.sif and my winnt.sif has the paths looking correct, at least to me:

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
Repartition=Yes
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
WaitForReboot="No"
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\fast_trak;drivers\intel_chipset;drivers\ethernet;drivers\canon_gl2;drivers\intel_app_accel;drivers\sound_card;drivers\video_card"

The drivers are in "drivers\fast_trak" The "drivers" directory is right under $OEM$\$1

Everything else seems to work correctly. When I use this build in my VMware virtual computer, it does an unattended install with all my apps and regtweaks, etc., so I think that is all correct. Of course I can't test the drivers in VMware (That I know if) so I have to burn a DVD to try this out.

The error I get is that after windows setup starts, it goes through a process of copying files and then I get to a screen that says setup can't find a hard drive to install to.

jjn1056

jjn1056

• 23 posts
  • Joined 17-January 04
After I little digging, I discovered a few differences in the txtsetup.sif from what I would think, if that is supposed to match what I find in the INF file for my driver. However, I am not an expert, and hesitate to mess with this before I get an opinion from the group.

in txtseup.sif I find

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0005 = "fasttx2k"
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0004 = "fasttx2k"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376 = "fasttx2k"

but in my fasttx2k.inf I find

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_6629.DeviceDesc="WinXP Promise FastTrak TX4000 ™ Controller"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3371.DeviceDesc="WinXP Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus ™ Controller"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3319.DeviceDesc="WinXP Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 ™ Controller"

Shouldn't the Hardware ID's match? Like I said, I am not an expert on this, so just tell me if I am totally wrong.

I'm going to look around the rest of the forums and see what people find.

--jn

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
@MajikUF: Told you we'd get it ... The TXTSETUP.SIF not found problem seems like a CDIMAGE switches issue, such as an UPPER/lower case issue. XPCREATE UPPERS all Windows XP file names.

@hajj_3: The SI 3112 has been sucessfully installed many times. You can make a CD, and start the installation. When you see the Drive Selection, you will know if the drivers have been recognized or not. Be sure you do not "Autopartition", and there is not risk involved.

@jjn1056: You do need a PnPID match (e.g. PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0005). No need to look further ... and I don't think you will be the first failure in this thread. Please email me your drivers (email address in signature image), and we'll get you going.

So much for a quiet Sunday evening ...

r37ribution

r37ribution

• 37 posts
  • Joined 15-March 04
@ jjn1056 - those "PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0005" lines and the like, they are the plug n play IDs (PnPIDs as GM puts it). Every hardware device has one of these IDs and when it is detected, windows then searches for a driver with a matching PnPID, if none is found it then asks you to insert the driver disk provided by the manufacturer. The PnPIDs in your driver files not matching the ones inside the cab file explain perfectly why the XP setup CD does not recognize your hardware device: there is no driver in the database that has a PnPID that matches the PnPID of your promise hardware device...you will need to send GM your *.oem files from your driver disk, so that he can add your hardware to the database, just as GM said. hope i cleared it up a little bit or helped you to understand this a little bit better...

jjn1056

jjn1056

• 23 posts
  • Joined 17-January 04
Wow, I've really learned a lot on this project! Creating this unattended install disk has made me feel like I am in control of Windows for the first time :)

I always wondered about how the PnP driver stuff worked, but I've always been into application software development, I've stayed away from hardware for the most part. So, yes, what was said above taught me something.

I think I still will wait for GM to take a look at the driver files I sent, and not mess around with is. I've been told that since vendors will sometimes take conflicting hardware ID's it's possible to damage your hardware by trying to force install a driver onto the wrong device. I'm not sure if that is true or an old wives tale, but since I am living in a remote location right now I don't want to chance it!

GM, you got mail.

Peace, jn

hajj_3

hajj_3

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 17-March 04
GREENMACHINE, how would i go about installing the sata drviers to automatically set it up as a raid configuration, prefer not to do it manually.

anybody know ?

r37ribution

r37ribution

• 37 posts
  • Joined 15-March 04
installing the wrong drivers will NOT in any way shape or form damage your hardware...this actually is a frequent problem in windows...drivers will actually get associated with the wrong PnPID somehow and the wrong drivers will install, this is very hard to fix - its actually easier and usualy faster to just reinstall windows (if reinstalling the driver wont fix it), because windows will keep looking at the wrong driver and the hardware wont function properly anymore. now that i think about it, i could see how this would lead one to believe that the hardware was damaged by installing the wrong driver...

jjn1056

jjn1056

• 23 posts
  • Joined 17-January 04
Update on that Promise s150 TX4. The file I was emailed worked, and I was able to install windows properly! Thanks a lot for your help, and you can add my controller to the list of ones that work.

Now I have to figure out the problems in a couple of other drivers, but that is for a different forum!

Peace, JN

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03

Update on that Promise s150 TX4.  The file I was emailed worked, and I was able to install windows properly!  Thanks a lot for your help, and you can add my controller to the list of ones that work. ...

Good deal! You are quite welcome.

You guys should know by now I don't take no for an answer ...

r37ribution

r37ribution

• 37 posts
  • Joined 15-March 04
hey if you have issues with your other drivers....i may be having the same issues. i added my video drivers (nvidia) extracted folder contents to the <filescd> folder. it looks like some of my files we recompressed that were in this folder. because some of the extensions of the files were *.sy_ istead of *.sys. and i was wondering why the display driver wasnt updated (and yes i had the driversigning=ignore option in the winnt.sif file added in there). so i tried to manually update the display driver and when i did it asked for a file and i pointed it to the directory c:\drivers\00x_video\*.* folder and it kept asking for a file that was there(but the extension was *.sy_ instead of *.sys) and it wasnt working so i redownloaded the files from the nvidia site again(without canceling the "new hardware found" whizard and pointed it to the default nvidia driver folder c:\nvidia and it found all files and sucessfully installed the driver. so i think XPCREATE it recompressing driver files found in the <filescd>\drivers folder and then copying to the final ISO.

just a thought.....is it doing the same for you?

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03

... . so i think XPCREATE it recompressing driver files found in the <filescd>\drivers folder and then copying to the final ISO. ...

You kiddin'? That's extra work! It's just an XCOPY ...

r37ribution

r37ribution

• 37 posts
  • Joined 15-March 04
let me look into this....i think ill start looking at your batch code before i post :)

tarquel

tarquel

The Well-wisher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Joined 03-March 04
Just to confirm (and I don't think it was) but the VIA VT8237 SATA RAID controller works fine with XPCREATE.

Can edit this post and place the directory structure if needed...but I'm sure it isnt.

The only change I made to the driver was to strip the unneeded OS drivers from the file/dir i.e. Win98, ME, NT, etc.

Regards,
N.
Enterprise Development Officer @ CCC (gov) - MS SB & "Freelance" repairer
My Rig: [color="purple"]Antec S Lanboy + 430W PSU[/color]-AMD "barton" CPU-MSI KT6-HyperX 512MB-SB Audigy 2 ZS P.Pro + TD7700-AIW 9800SE & My notebook: Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi - reviewed here
Posted Image

Nicepen

Nicepen
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 03-December 04
Basics of my system:
Chaintech Znf3-250 754skt mobo
Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATARaid Controller
AMD Athlon64 3200+
WD 36GB x2 HDD
(If you want to know anything more, just ask.)

Hello everyone,

Sounds like this is great software that will be very convenient once XP is installed. However right now I'm trying to reinstall from scratch and I'm having problems with my raid controller. I was running windows a few months ago, (and didn't have this much trouble installing XP) then I switched to Linux. Great OS, however I didn't know it and had a hard time finding the right info on what I was running, so now I'm back to XP.

After some searching I found some RAID drivers (Silicon 3114 Raid driver V0.0.0.4 For 9x/Me/2k/XP from the Chaintech website. www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/dl_LI.asp?DISNo=416 ) that got me through the first start installation screen. During the windows installation I received a message that said my RAID drivers were not digitally signed (or however they phrase it.) I stopped the install and decided to come looking for more info.

I'm wondering how I can use your software before windows is installed. I don't want to connect my computer to the Internet until after I install SP2. If you could help me with specific instructions on using your software during the XP install process or if you could just point me to digitally signed drivers it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for being here and good luck with your ventures.

Aaron

rijko

rijko
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-November 04

Update on that Promise s150 TX4.  The file I was emailed worked, and I was able to install windows properly!

Hi dude,

glad it worked for you - could you post the solution ?

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Welcome to MSFN, Nicepen!

I have not had any time latley to add new SATA/RAID drivers to the collection. Hopefully I will in January ...

DONALDSTEIN

DONALDSTEIN
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-October 04
hi don 379 fast track raid msi ms-6565 board works ok too

Farstrider

Farstrider

• 15 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
I hope that it is OK to bump this topic! I need help with my SATA150 TX4 PCI Card. I need to include the drivers with my XP SP2 disk. I am having difficulty incorporating the correct lines in my TXTSETUP.SIF file. I really need someone to help please!
I hope that I am in the right place here, please move this if it is not correct, thanks!
Home Page
piers@solidstate.co.za

Posted Image
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham
breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

poppyq

poppyq

• 30 posts
  • Joined 31-May 04
I understand this is an OLD topic, but I have something new to ask. I'm using one of bashrat's driver packs for sata, but it looks like all the .sys files are still in the .sy_ format. XPCREATE checks for the existence of .sys files in order to integrate SATA. Would I be ok renaming these to .sys or is there something I need to do for these to integrate correctly?

Edit: actually, it looks like in the driverpack itself they are .sys, but once I run his batch files to integrate into the disc it sets them to .sy_ I guess I can just rename them then, but I'll look into why it's renaming them in the first place.

Edited by poppyq, 18 October 2005 - 11:02 PM.

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

I understand this is an OLD topic, but I have something new to ask. I'm using one of bashrat's driver packs for sata, but it looks like all the .sys files are still in the .sy_ format. XPCREATE checks for the existence of .sys files in order to integrate SATA. Would I be ok renaming these to .sys or is there something I need to do for these to integrate correctly?

Edit: actually, it looks like in the driverpack itself they are .sys, but once I run his batch files to integrate into the disc it sets them to .sy_ I guess I can just rename them then, but I'll look into why it's renaming them in the first place.

They're being CABbed... ;) You'll have to decompress them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users