Skype 6.1 on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

Okay, I recently installed Skype 6.1 on this Windows 2000 machine and it turned out that the installation quit unexpectedly. When I attempted to execute Skype 6.1, I get this error message:

Error

Runtime error 217 0053CE85

The last time that I updated UURollup v11 was on 19 November 2012. Is there a way to update UURollup in order to fix this?

I don't get that error, but for some reason I'm unable to send text messages to people on Skype. I can still make voice and video calls but text messages refuse to send. I have the latest daily UURollup 11 installed which was like the 5th of January.

I could at one time but I can't remember when the last time was that I could.

@ppgrainbow

I think I remember seeing this error at one time or another to be truthful. It seems to me that you didn't have the latest UURollup installed because I would receive it too unless I updated it. Are you using Daily, Weekly, or Stable releases of UURollup 11? You might want to use Weekly or Daily if you're not already doing so. I've been running on Daily for quite some time and never had any issues so I can bet that running the latest daily wouldn't hurt if you're not running it now. The only issues we seem to be having is with hibernate so unless you rely on that, running daily should be a safe bet. Consult the UURollup thread for other notes regarding versions and installation procedures.

tomasz86 has already talked about making a final UURollup 11 Stable release and that would be the end of the UURollup line, but unfortunately there are still bugs to be worked out before we can make it a final project. I say we since I've been doing extensive testing for him and even using the daily versions in my live, everyday environment. In my tests I haven't really run into any issues except for the hibernation issue and sometimes random explorer crashes. I'm waiting to see if he throws me anything to test out for him to see if we have any green lights to go stable.

Edited by SearanoX

The current version is the weekly version of UURollup v11 with the update from 2012-11-18. I got it from the DropBox website and as far as I know, the weekly version of UURollup v11 has not been updated on that site seven weeks ago and I'm unable to find a new weekly or daily version of UURollup v11 at the moment. :(

Is there a way to investigate what issues are causing Skype to not send messages?

Try switching to the daily version if you can. You'd have to uninstall the weekly version but if there's stuff on that computer that is important to you, back it up first! I think tomasz86 was going to release a new weekly version but something prevented him from doing so, I think there were slipstreaming issues if I'm not mistaken. But the last two daily versions have capabilities of making the new Skype work somewhat, at least voice and video I know for a fact. Judging by the date of the UURollup release you're using, Skype 6 will not work on your system. I believe I tried it with one of those release dates and it didn't work. So if you can, try one of the daily versions. I'm using his latest and I'm not having any real problems.

A note about it though, if you install any sort of sound device AFTER you install the UURollup pack, you'll have to reinstall UURollup again. I haven't figured out what happens but I have lost Windows audio completely once before and also less dramatically, I've lost Skype capability until I just installed UURollup again. That's the unofficial workaround at the moment. But it's blackwingcat's issue, not UURollup, and he's not even sure why this happens.

Edited by SearanoX

Does Daily UnofficialUpdatesRollup include extended kernel shell32 v2.2n6 ?

It was buggy. replace v2.2n7.

@ppgrainbow All versions of UURollup are available in my Windows 2000 Download Archive. Just navigate to Windows2000/UnofficialUpdatesRollup.

@ You're right. Slipstreaming is broken at the moment :(

Do you know difference shown the environment Runtime error from without message ?

Okay, I recently installed Skype 6.1 on this Windows 2000 machine and it turned out that the installation quit unexpectedly. When I attempted to execute Skype 6.1, I get this error message:

Error

Runtime error 217 0053CE85

The last time that I updated UURollup v11 was on 19 November 2012. Is there a way to update UURollup in order to fix this?

Edited by blackwingcat

@ppgrainbow All versions of UURollup are available in my Windows 2000 Download Archive. Just navigate to Windows2000/UnofficialUpdatesRollup.

I will try the 2013-01-11 update of UURollup to see if Skype 6.1 and Microsoft Silverlight works. I will report back for the results. :)

I will try the 2013-01-11 update of UURollup to see if Skype 6.1 and Microsoft Silverlight works. I will report back for the results. :)

Be very very careful with that one! I couldn't get a logon prompt when I installed that package. I reported it to @tomasz86 but he hasn't gotten back with me yet so I'm assuming he's probably really bogged down with work. It happens sometimes. It might even just be my problem, I'm not sure. But to be extra safe, I'd suggest the earlier 01-05-13 version. That one works perfectly for me. :) We'll see if tomasz gets back with us and see if he has any issues with that pack.

Be very very careful with that one! I couldn't get a logon prompt when I installed that package. I reported it to @tomasz86 but he hasn't gotten back with me yet so I'm assuming he's probably really bogged down with work. It happens sometimes. It might even just be my problem, I'm not sure. But to be extra safe, I'd suggest the earlier 01-05-13 version. That one works perfectly for me. :) We'll see if tomasz gets back with us and see if he has any issues with that pack.

What problems are you getting when you use the 2013-01-11 update when you couldn't even get a logo prompt when installing the package? :(

By following your suggestion, I'll use the 2013-01-05 UURollup v11 update just to be safe. :)

What problems are you getting when you use the 2013-01-11 update when you couldn't even get a logo prompt when installing the package? :(

By following your suggestion, I'll use the 2013-01-05 UURollup v11 update just to be safe. :)

Basically what would happen is it would boot up like normal and then it would get to the light blue screen that you see when you login. However, I never got a box that said "Windows is starting up..." and "Applying Security Settings", and I also didn't get the box to login at all. It just stayed at a solid blue screen for half an hour. I finally rebooted and uninstalled the package. As soon as I did that, it worked fine.

I'm sorry for not being very active recently. I've experienced a serious of bad event recently and I've also got to move my house next week so it's difficult to find enough time to test new versions of UURollup :(

I myself recently restored my system image from a backup copy after messing around with it and at the moment I'm still running on UURollup daily 121215, and can't really test new versions as thoroughly as I used to. At least I'm trying to follow BlackWingCat's updates and add the newest files from his kernel to UURollup.

I'd be very thankful if anyone checked the newly released XP/2003 updates (January 2013 bulletin & the new IE non-cumulative update) and saw if there is anything applicable to Win2k.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86

That's terrible! I hope that everything improves for you! Just do what you need to do though :)

@ppgrainbow

If you did have a computer you don't care what happens to, you can install the new UURollup 1-11-13 pack and see what happens.

Here's how to get rid of a botched up update pack. Just pop in your Windows 2000 installation media, get to the main screen and choose R for Repair. Then choose C for the recovery console. Log into your installation and use the administrator password. Then the fun begins.

Generally it'll go to C:\WINNT in the prompt. Do a dir command to check on the backup folder. It should appear something like this "$NtUninstallUURollup-v11-d130111$".

So do a 'cd $NtUninstallUURollup-v11-d130111$' and press enter (without the quotes).

Then type in 'cd spuninst' and press enter (again without the quotes).

Now type 'batch spuninst.txt' and press enter.

It should now uninstall. When it finishes, take out the Windows 2000 installation media and restart. More than likely, it should work like it did before the update was installed as it'll revert back to what you last had installed.

Edited by Tommy