Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

UpdateXP 3.0 Advanced Testers Only

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
OK Here is new toy to test:
Alpha -Alpha - Advanced Users Only!!!!

Now called AppsXP since it installs just about anything (but includes most of the original UpdateXP code). This can do all the hotfixes plus install applications or be set to do any combination or just used as an application installer. The applications themselves can have a selection screen or be fully automatic.

New features:

1. Application Selector
2. Auto detect CD
2. Map Network Drive
4. Pass any switches
5. Prompt for Second CD
6. New Graphic progress bar
7. Run more than once with different configuration files and/or from different places

Old features still included:

1. Auto-run type1 and type 2 hotfixes
2. Auto-reboot

This program is controlled by an ini file -default is apps.ini - edit this file to run what you wish. Most entries should be self-explanatory, if not, examine test.ini for some examples.

Edit: default screens changed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note: no longer in development!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
****, I was going to try it until I saw that "Advanced user" warning!

Lookin' good, techtype. I'm just on my way out the door, but wanted to be the first!

Careful, or they'll banish you to your own forum, too!

:)

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,393 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03
Application selector was on my wish list so long that i planned to make it...but now all i need is to say Thanks !
http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.ntlite.com
Remove components and customize Windows

Famer

Famer

Aka Snake Plissken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
@techtype as you progress with this app,,, will you write some kind of guide or is it so easy to use that one is not need,,, from you have posted it looks very good but as you said it's just an alpha, so i guess your a long ways away from a beta1

@GM will you be implementing some kind of gui for your program,, not saying that one is needed as it rocks just the way it is

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
@Famer

again you fail to do a search in the XPC forum.
GM said that he removed it because he went to far too fast. He said he would consider it, but it's not too high on his priorities.

@techtype
goodie, another program to find faults with :)
I sure hope too many people don't make new programs.....

looks really nice so far (I'm a quick tester :rolleyes:). I think I'll stick with XPlode for my unattend purposes (it shows more info, like howmany remaining and what not) but I do believe I shall use this for my Hotifx CD, as it would be easier to tell the path and have it auto, then type it all in an XML. lol.

One thing though it the ability to change the width and heights. And in your code that searches for the CD, add in the INI a variable for a tag file, incase people have two CD/DVD ROMS (I got 3)
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Famer

Famer

Aka Snake Plissken

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
@Alanoll I can read and i know GM took it out i was asking if he had planed on working it back in to a later version

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Thanks for testing Allanoll!! I may just add in more info and I can easily program it to find the right CD drive from several. I planned for that, I just left it out of the alpha to simplify things.

Here is an another alternative progress bar:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Here are some other choices for the the Selector too.
Edit: These are now the defaults.

Another progress bar

More select screens

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
Hi nice work,

so many commercial progs are so big and so ugly and yours is so nice and so small sized. I´ll give it a try. Hope you´ll reach the beta stadium soon! :D

pachelbeljoe :)

EDIT:

Gave it a first try with a dummy file to test it and it works realy fine (especially for a alpha version) Your alpha is much better than some RTM from M$ :D

I have one question: Where should your program be run from? Via GuiRunOnce or via RunOnceEx?

pachelbeljoe :rolleyes:
AMD ATHLON 500, 256MB SD-RAM,
60 GB IDE Harddisk Western Digital,
DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,
DVD +/-R/RW/RAM LG GSA4081B,
PHILLIPS 151 TFT with TV-Tuner,
ATI All in Wonder 128 PCI 16MB,
Windows XP SP2 Beta 1(2055)

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
Played with it for a while and everything seems to work good and stable. Will give it a try on my unattended DVD when i go home from work. Still my question: can it be run from RunOnceEX.cmd and where do i have to place my files?
And another question: is it possible to put apps in the selection list, which are not selected by default?

DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
@Pachelbeljoe

Thanks for your report. (You're right, it has been tested more and has more error checking than most betas let alone alphas - but little in the way of documentation) You can run it from any of the usual places (as far as I know) depending on your purpose. If you're going to use it as an Application Selector, I would suggest running from runonce (not runonceex). This will, I believe, allow the registry to stabilize before your apps are installed. This can be crucial to a succeesful install of some programs. Guirunonce should also work for most things. Your files can be anywhere as you are entering the complete path in the "Torun" key. There is not currently a way to have some apps not pre-selected.

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
I´m making unattended DVD´s for month but what do you mean with runonce? Do you mean i should call it via RunOnceEx as a registry entry to be running like the windows update function or do you mean anything else (maybe another part in winnt.sif?). i´d like to use it as an application switcher and want it to run as stable as possible.
By the way: Did you think about a version that would give you let´s say two minutes to deselect some items to install and then installs automaticly when no user interaction happens. That would be a nice feature. Maybe for the beta-version?

DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Runonceex and runonce are both registry keys that are run at almost the same time. Runonceex puts a message on the screen and waits until the entry is finished executing. Runonce does not place anything on the screen. For what we are trying to do here, this suits our purpose better. I'm considering all suggestions for an additional release.

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
OK I´ll try RunOnceEx first and then will see how it works.
But i have another question:
When i use the ini-file for Office or any Instalshield installer from cd, how does it work or how must the command look like to work?

Thats the code by now:

%cdrom%\install\Applications\Office\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%cdrom%\install\Applications\Office\Unattended.MST /qb-

Should it look like this?

\install\Applications\Office\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=\install\Applications\Office\Unattended.MST /qb-

pachelbeljoe :flowers:
DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
Ok by the way that all didn´t work for me so far. I tried to use Runonce Registry key for starting appsxp and it didn´t start. I tried RunOnceEx and it said that it couldn´t find the background image and the ini file.
Next i´ll try to use GuiRunOnce in winnt.sif and see if that works.
What didn´t work also was the office 2003 files with the transform option. It didnt install. Same with iss files.

DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
I've got to work today, but I'll check those things out later. Are you putting the "Switches" on the switch line in the ini file? They cannot be on the same line as the command to run the program.

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

I've got to work today, but I'll check those things out later. Are you putting the "Switches" on the switch line in the ini file? They cannot be on the same line as the command to run the program.

Yes, because i thought that there was a sence therein that you made this line. And it worked fine for nero qucktime alternative etc.

I´m still trying to get it to work. I´ve transferd the .ins and the .mst files to the systemdrive and i hope this works

\install\Applications\Office\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%systemdrive\Test\Office\Unattended.MST

DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
Ok it still say that it can´t find the background image and that it cannot locate the ini file. (Via RunOnxeEX Regkey).
And still with the .ins and the .mst files on harddisc this won´t work :rolleyes:

Manualy starting appsxp after loading windows works fine.
???

This seams to work for Office:

ToRun4=\install\Applications\Office\setup.exe 
Switches4=TRANSFORMS=%systemdrive%\Test\Office\Unattended.MST /qb-

DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
I tested your switches and they get passed to the program correctly. Something else is going on, you'll have to give more information about what happens than "It didnt install". By the way, your second choice seems correct - if you are running from CD and if you marked RunFromCD. Maybe, the problem does lie with running from CD.

Edit: Duh, the switches line is expecting the CD letter. I'll have to add a CDROM variable for situations like this, so that you can still pass the CD letter on the switches line. I'll add that when I get back today. Good testing!
By the way, it looks like you are missing a "%" on your last example.

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

I tested your switches and they get passed to the program correctly. Something else is going on, you'll have to give more information about what happens than "It didnt install". By the way, your second choice seems correct - if you are running from CD and if you marked RunFromCD. Maybe, the problem does lie with running from CD.

Edit: Duh, the switches line is expecting the CD letter. I'll have to add a CDROM variable for situations like this, so that you can still pass the CD letter on the switches line. I'll add that when I get back today. Good testing!

Ok like you can see in my last post i solved the problem with office etc.
And the second one: Does it mean RunFromCD is only for Appspx running from cd?
Then it was my fault!

pachelbeljoe :rolleyes:

And there is another thing:

i can´t install Daemontools because the switch reboot=realysupress has a = in it and that gives you two of them in the switch line and that doesn´t work :)
DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
It will pass an "=" just fine, you did for Office. Try spelling realy as really and supress as suppress. (thanks Allanoll)

You had it right - RunFromCD means: Find the first CD drive letter and add the drive letter plus a colon to the command line. However, until I change something, it does not add anything or change anything on the switches line. Thus we end up missing the CD letter on your Office switches line.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
and supress as suppress
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
@pachelbeljoe

I posted a new version that hopefully fixes the problems that you found. For me at least, it now runs fine from Runonce. I changed the way CDs are addressed back to the standard %CDROM%, so use that where a CD drive letter is called for. Your original command lines and switches should work now. There is no longer a "RunFromCD" setting since it is not used. Keep all the bmp, dll and ini files that came with the program in the same directory as the appsxp.exe. You were a big help by finding problems.

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
@techtype

I´ll give it a try. It´s nice to be here and it´s fun to help apssxp to get better. It´s realy a good thing!

DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03
@techtype

I started a new session with your updated appsxp.
First real GOOD thing:
I started it via RunOnceEx registry key and it started for the first time!
That works fine now. :rolleyes: :D :D
At this time it´s installing Office and that seams to work perfekt also.
Hope the rest will go the same way.
Netxt thing i´ll try is the restart function.

By the way:

Is there a chance to integrate these three functions:

1. A part in the ini file which let´s you select if an app will be installed or just listet and can be selected to install (like i asked before)

2. A switch in appsxp which waits for a user interaction (say 90 seconds and the installs automaticly the preselected programs.

3. A possibility to register some reg files directly through the ini file (Maybe a new line per application where you can select a reg file that´s needed for this application.

These features would make appsxp as good as perfect

Update:

Istill have problems with the switches. Office 2003 installed correctly and everything is fine. But Norton Antivirus 2003 and DaemonTools gave me wrong commandline parameter.
And i have big trouble with al iss based applications. Most of them like PowerDVD do not install at all. Photoshop 7 installs correctly.
Try to solve some of the problems now.
DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-In,

pachelbeljoe

pachelbeljoe

Crazy XP Member

• PipPip