Trouble Adding a menu entry to grub loader

Haxzor

Ok so I used WinSetupFromUSB GUI to create a multi-boot Windows install for windows XP Home eddition and Windows 7 untimate On a 16gb Kingston USB flash drive. I figured I could add a menu entry to run third setup of Windows XP Pro by puting XP pro files into a folder in root of drive called XP pro x32. Then I added a menu entry into menu.lst. But when I go to boot it will only let me highlight the first 2 options even though the third one is showing in the menu. The entries appear identical so is there something i need to do to make XP pro x32 a valid option or is it detecting that my paths are wrong or something so it disables the option i added. I read something about editing a grub.cfg file somewhere but such a file doesnt exist. What am I missing here?

Here is my Updated menu.lst.

title Install Windows 7 Ultimate x64
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

title Install Windows XP Home eddition x32 -- READ THE READ ME!!!
root (hd0,0)
configfile /winsetup.lst
savedefault

title Install Windows XP Pro x32 -- READ THE READ ME!!!
root (hd0,0)
Configfile /XP pro x32/winsetup.lst
savedefault

--EDIT--

:thumbup

HAHAH silly me I realized my problem. The "c" in the configfile pointer command was a capital! lol :lol:

I changed it to lower case and I could select and run menu no prob. However I'm now having issues geting the path files just right and it seems to be having partition reading issues or something. Oh and I changed removed the spaces for the xp folder just incase.

The error happens when I try the first step:

chainloader (hd0,0) /XPpro32/$WIN_NT$.~BT/SETUPLDR.BIN

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

Here is my updated menu.lst and winsetup.lst

Menu.lst

title Install Windows 7 Ultimate x64
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

title Install Windows XP Home eddition x32 -- READ THE READ ME!!!
root (hd0,0)
configfile /winsetup.lst
savedefault

title Install Windows XP Pro x32 -- READ THE READ ME!!!
root (hd0,0)
configfile /XPpro32/winsetup.lst
savedefault

winsetup.lst:

title First part of Windows XP Professional x32 setup
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0) /XPpro32/$WIN_NT$.~BT/SETUPLDR.BIN
savedefault 1

title Second part of Windows XP Professional x32 setup
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/XPpro32/NTLDR
savedefault

Edited by Haxzor

You can't change folder names freely, they are hardcoded in several setup files and you have to patch those files manually with the new folder names, if you insist on doing that manually.

Program will do that for you, if you missed this part in program description:

What it can be used for adding to your USB stick/disk:

- multiple Windows XP/2kX sources in the same partition (up to 10 99 with vers. 1.0)

10 applies to 0.x.x versions, 99 to 1.X versions.

Just run the program again, select the new source and press GO, the same way you put the previous one.

If you want to do this manually, go through the last pages of this thread, it should consist most of the info you'd need:

Besides, although working fine, 0.2.3 is no longer maintained and has number of limitations due to the default Microsoft method used in it, which were avoided in 1.X versions, 1.0 beta8 being currently the latest. Don't get scared of the beta name, it's because it lacks documentation and installer, but is fully working solution.

Since you are on this wagon and this could be your next task, you may also test the upcoming beta9. Mind you, it's not finished and is test version only, feedback is appreciated :

I see. Ok the reason I was hesitant about using the GUI to do it is because I thought that it would format the entire drive to add a Setup to the drive/menu. I will go do that and post my success. Thank you much! And I will definitely check out the beta 9 and let you know my experience with it! :thumbup

Ok so I got everything working fine and dandy but when I add this command to the very top of the menu.lst file (or any where at all in the file)

"splashimage (hd0,0) /Splash_screens/diablo-3-barbarian_splash.xpm.gz" the splash loads up just fine and looks great but when I try to run any of the xp installs by selecting the first part (text mode) it skips everything goes back to default dos scheme and displays only the option to run the second part and then all of the debug options. if I rem out the splash command every thing goes back to A OK. I tried remming out

"color black/cyan yellow/cyan" as well as removing "(hd0,0)" none of my trouble shooting steps have worked thus far.

You guys have been really helpful so far, What are my noobish eyes failing to show me? :ph34r: