Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Cannot Uninstall Synaptics Touchpad Driver

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
Recently the scroll function of my touchpad (Synaptics V7.2) stopped working. I went over to the control panel to check the scroll settings and when I clicked on "mouse" I got the message:

Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver...Do you want to uninstall the Synaptics driver now?

If I choose yes, I receive the message:

"You must have Administrator privileges to uninstall device drivers. Please log off and log back on as Admin." This is despite my user account having admin privileges.

So I entered into safe mode and logged in as the administrator, but when I went to remove the driver in add/remove, I received the same message - that I needed administrator privileges.

I'm stumped here. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,869 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Reinstall\uninstall?

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10

Reinstall\uninstall?

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,869 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
get the installer from dell (or whoever) and reinstall it. THEN uninstall it. :hello:

http://download.cnet...8_4-149877.html

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 19 January 2013 - 11:06 PM.

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10

get the installer from dell (or whoever) and reinstall it. THEN uninstall it. :hello:

http://download.cnet...8_4-149877.html

Thanks again. I was going to do the same but I got a warning message about reinstalling before uninstalling. Your advice worked perfectly. Now that everything's working, and I'm only seeing one entry in add/remove, is there something I should be uninstalling?

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,315 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05
  • Something stops working
  • you want to uninstall it but you can't
  • Kelsenellenelvian says reinstall THEN uninstall
  • you reinstall, it works now (see point 1)
  • you ask what now ?
Looking at (3) the next step is uninstall, but obviously it is you to know if your main goal is solving (1) or doing (2).

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
Ponch, I was merely asking Kelsenellenelvian to clarify his instructions to reinstall, then uninstall.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
@xmf,

What Kel and Ponch have tried to explain, is when you have trouble with an app or driver that won't uninstall, which was part of what you explained was happening to you in your OP and the title of this thread, if you reinstall on top of it the exact same version of the app, in the exact same place, sometimes that will put back whatever was missing that wouldn't let it uninstall the first time so that now you can uninstall it. But since the only reason that you were wanting to uninstall was to get the driver working, and apparently reinstalling worked for you, then no, there is nothing else you need to uninstall at this point.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Posted Image

xmf

xmf

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 05-February 10
Thanks bphlpt. I figured I was alright, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a part of Kel's instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users