slow shutdown, sometimes.

cyberwasp

Recently I purchased the win 8 pro upgrade which I installed over windows 7 premium. I had no problem other then my email client stopped working, "found it to be Norton internet security," and after a reinstall that was fixed.

System seems stable and running fine. I have noticed that if I don't reboot for the whole day that windows takes up to 8 minutes plus to shutdown or restart. Now I'm familiar with the event logs and have used them to fix various glitches in the past. But after updating to Windows 8 the entry is confusing. instead of saying shutdown they say:

" Warning 1/20/2013 8:41:00 AM Diagnostics-Performance 303 Standby Performance Monitoring."

This service caused a delay during hybrid-sleep:

File Name : fhsvc

Friendly Name : File History Service

Version : 6.2.9200.16384 (win8_rtm.120725-1247)

Total Time : 120009ms

Degradation Time : 119009ms

Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2013‎-‎01‎-‎20T03:20:05.494425700Z

I haven't used standby and was shutting down the pc.

From looking at this forum, I know this isn't the normal data you ask for but didn't want to throw in anything too much before you responded.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer

The way I understand it, in order for Win 8 to give the quick startup and shutdown that everyone wants, it automatically implements a hybrid form of shutdown which is different than the shutdown you are used to from previous versions of Windows. See the mention of "hybrid-sleep"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_mode#Hybrid_sleep:

Hybrid sleep

Sleep mode and hibernation can be combined: the contents of RAM are first copied to non-volatile storage like for regular hibernation, but then, instead of powering down, the computer enters sleep mode. This approach combines the benefits of sleep mode and hibernation: The machine can resume instantaneously, but it can also be powered down completely (e.g. due to loss of power) without loss of data, because it is already effectively in a state of hibernation. This mode is called "hybrid sleep" in Microsoft Windows.

So it really is trying to "standby". Why it's having a problem I have no idea. Maybe Andre can give you some advice.

Cheers and Regards

Andre, you hit the nail on the head. figured it out yesterday from going over my install notes and event logs. One of the first things I did. What made it worse is that I had it saving to a networked drive, DUH!!!