How to install LIPSetup.msi file from cmdlines.txt?

I wanted to install a LIP through cmdlines.txt but without success. Before and after that I tried with Google but there's no information related with this problem.

It is a little bit strange because this procedure is rather important in creating of unattended installations.

I've created a lp folder inside of $OEM$ and put there my lip file. I hoped that it is possible to do that with the following command: ".\lp\setup.msi /passive /norestart"

any suggestion?

Edited by rigorous

Thank you for the help, Yzöwl, but I've already read msiexec syntax from another site.

Well... my cmdlines.txt now looks like this way:

"msiexec/i .\lp\setup.msi /passive /norestart"

As the first, sorry, I didn't mention msiexec command in my 1st post here :)

As the second, I added /i switch, but my language pack refused to install.again.

I removed /passive /norestart switches to check what;s going on there and I've got this error:

The installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exist and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor... bla bla...

According to this message my path isn't correct

.\lp\setup.msi

But it looks fine to me :)

It's needed to take care with the spaces and specify the full path !

Example with WPI:

cmds[pn]=['"%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\SetupAdmin.exe"','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\iTunes.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\QuickTime.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\Bonjour.msi" /qn'];

Or:

msiexec.exe /i "%SystemDrive%\Install\ITunes\iTunes.msi" /qn

Edited by myselfidem

Perhaps try puttimg the msi in the same folder as the cmdlines.txt is located, then change the cmdline to below

setup.msi /passive /norestart

Well you're right. After I pun my LIP directly into $OEM$ folder, installation started at T-12 but when it finished, I've got an error message.

It's needed to take care with the spaces and specify the full path !

Example with WPI:

cmds[pn]=['"%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\SetupAdmin.exe"','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\iTunes.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\QuickTime.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" /qn','msiexec.exe /i "%WPIPath%\\Install\\ITunes\\Bonjour.msi" /qn'];

Or:

msiexec.exe /i "%SystemDrive%\Install\ITunes\iTunes.msi" /qn

Thank you for your post.

Now, I'm afraid that it isn't possible to install language pack (not MUI but LIP) to the XP at all!

I've found an old post here that it is impossible to install them but I can't understand why... LIP is the same thing as any other .msi file...

Yes, it's possible! But now I see that all Microsoft's links are removed about explaination to integrate LIP on Windows XP!

I found french documentation, and used to install MUI French language pack successfully (process is not the same), but I don't remember where !

1 - LIP kits languages can be installed only with 32bit Windows XP version, but they can't be installed on a computer who have MUI language pack already installed or previously installed !

2 - We can install only ONE LIP. I we want install another LIP we must uninstall the one previously installed

3 - Copy the CD-ROM files LIP inside a subfolder:

%DistributionFolder%\OPKTools\Updates\LIP

4 - Preinstall application:

msiexec /i \\server_name\\OpkTools\LIP\MUISETUP.EXE /q

%WINDIR%\mui\fallback\LCID\profupd.exe /l LCID_value

5 - LCID_value and language:

0402 = Bulgare
0403 = Catalan
041a = Croate
0425 = Estonien
0439 = Hindi
0426 = Letton
0427 = Lituanien
0418 = Roumain
0c1a = Serbe (cyrillique)
081a = Serbe (latin)
041e = Thaï
0422 = Ukrainien
------------------------

0424 = Slovène *
041b = Slovaque *

This method create the section below inside:

Winbom.ini

[OemRunOnce]
"PackageName1","msiexec /i \\server\\OpkTools\Updates\LIP\MUISETUP.EXE\LIPSetup.msi /q"
"PackageName2","c:\windows\mui\fallback\LCID_value\profupd.exe /l LCID_value"

For Slovène and Slovaque LIP (*)

msiexec /i \\server_name\\OpkTools\Updates\LIP\MUISETUP.EXE /l LCID_value /s /r

This method create the section below inside:

Winbom.ini

[OemRunOnce]
"PackageName1","msiexec /i \\server\\OpkTools\Updates\LIP\MUISETUP.EXE /l LCID_value /s /r"

LIP will be installed with "Audit mod"

HTH

Edited by myselfidem

myselfidem...

There's a difference between MUI and LIP.

LIP is- Language Interface Pack

It isn't completely the same as MUI (Multilingual User Interface)

If you check your examples you'll see that we're working with MUISETUP.EXE. In my case it is a setup.msi.

I found things which you mentioned here but I didn't check them because I'm a little bit suspicious from the reason mentioned above.

There's no "LIP files" in my case. It is only one file, setup.msi.

I simply can't understand that this topic wasn't interesting many years ago.

regards

Edited by rigorous

I'm afraid that I'll have to swap original files manually.

When we extract setup.msi, we can see next folders:

CommonFilesFolder

ProgramFilesFolder

System32

Windows

It is not a big problem to convert some well known files into CAB archives and change original english language files but I don't know what to do with (for exapmle) *.dll.mui files from $$\Windows\mui\Fallback\0c1a

myselfidem...

There's a difference between MUI and LIP.

LIP is- Language Interface Pack

It isn't completely the same as MUI (Multilingual User Interface)

If you check your examples you'll see that we're working with MUISETUP.EXE. In my case it is a setup.msi.

Yes I know there is a difference between MUI and LIP and if you read carefully I explain that (the process is not the same) !

I translated (verbatim) the French documentation to English to give you some help.

It seems MUISETUP.EXE is included with original CD LIP !

Frequently Asked Questions

Based on MUI technology, LIP provides the desktop user with an approximately 80% localized user experience by translating a reduced set of user interface (UI) elements. LIP is installed on a licensed copy of Windows and has a dependency on a base Language Pack of Windows.

Windows XP Language Interface Pack

Language packs

Edited by myselfidem

Yes I know there is a difference between MUI and LIP and if you read carefully I explain that (the process is not the same) !

I translated (verbatim) the French documentation to English to give you some help.

It seems MUISETUP.EXE is included with original CD LIP !

Frequently Asked Questions

I've seen that but I wanted to explain for others because this is frequent mistake. People think that it is the same thing.

Edited by rigorous