Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Topic closed at author's request - MSFN staff

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4
Hello,

maybe somebody will be interested in my small project. Therefore, I am sharing the first information about it. I have managed to reimplement Aero Glass function into Windows 8 Desktop Window Manager.

How does it work?
I have developed DLL library in C++ which is injected into dwm.exe process (no system files replacement is required). Then, the functions used for window border drawing are hooked with my own implementation. This ensures that anytime DWM wants to draw the window border, the code is redirected into my library where I change the drawing parameters and redirect back to the original drawing function. Transparent window border wih blur effect is drawn!

Is it completely new implementation?
Just a partially. Since a lot of Aero Glass resources is still present in Win8, I'm trying to reuse them as much as possible. The blur effect is implemented completely in Direct3D with using of native shaders and system settings. With some small exceptions, I just call the same commands as they would be called by Windows itself (e.g. in Win7 or Win8 RP).

The problem lies in loading library into memory, because - for correct function - it has to be loaded together with DWM process but before creation of its internal objects. Currently, the method of DLL injection via AppInit_DLLs registry key is used but it is not supported when UEFI secure boot is enabled.

http://glass8.berlios.de

--> registry script to install this utility is attached in the archive but you must manually edit the file to point to the location where you extract DLL file
--> the glass will automatically load at Windows startup
--> if your computer won't boot up for some reason (glass failure), hold CTRL key during DWM loading and no procedure will be installed into memory
--> if you use custom theme which has hardcoded fully opaque borders, the effect won't be visible
--> if there is any bug and DWM crashes, it will generate minidump file in the folder where you extracted DLL to and you should upload this minidump file to allow the bug to be fixed

--> this utility is for Windows 8 only! Testing version for Windows 8.1 will be available to closed private group only

--> THIS IS THE TEST VERSION, THUS IT LIMITS ITS REGULAR USAGE BY DISPLAYING WARNING MESSAGE PERIODICALLY. DO NOT ASK HOW TO REMOVE THIS MESSAGE !!!

--> THIS IS THE TESTING VERSION INTENDED FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY, IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE !!!

You use this software on your own risk and you agree that you will not use it against its purpose (testing and preview). You are not allowed to disassemble or crack this software by any method (binary modification, DLL injection, function hooking etc.) else you are violating the copyright, because you are trying to bypass software protection.

I hope you will like it :-)

post-360084-0-89560400-1358888234_thumb.

The blur effect looks nice!! What about the Taskbar and Windows Explorer title bars? :)

I have not played with the taskbar yet. But since the taskbar texture is easily identifiable it should not be so hard to add blur effect beneath the taskbar. To Explorer, Win8 Explorer has standard titlebar (unlike Win7) so it works as any other window. Maybe we could try to call DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea on WinExplorer windows to see what happens :-)

Currently, I have two serious bugs to solve now then I will provide a test version:

1) To hook drawing functions properly, Direct3D device pointer must identified. It is easily possible by hooking D3D11CreateDevice (which provides pointer to D3D 11 device) and then device->QueryInterface (which provides pointer to D3D 10.1 device which is used for desktop composition). The problem is that DWM calls these two functions only on startup or when video adapter is restarted (e.g. via Device manager). I have not found a correct way to do it automatically. In Windows 7, this was possible by calling DwmEnableComposition(DISABLE...) and DwmEnableComposition(ENABLE...) but this has no effect on Windows 8.

2) Blur algorithm works by averaging the neighboring pixels. The problem is that pixels on the edge have no neighboring pixels on one side and therefore blurred pixel is computed from some random value. This is no problem for window edge because it won't be so noticeable there (you can notice it at my preview picture, upper edge of "O produktu Windows" window). The problem is when DWM wants to repaint only a part of window border. Then you will see these "edge pixels" at the edge of the clipped region (which can be e.g. in the middle of the titlebar).

I have not found a correct way to do it automatically. In Windows 7, this was possible by calling DwmEnableComposition(DISABLE...) and DwmEnableComposition(ENABLE...) but this has no effect on Windows 8.

this is "by design". Composition is always active in Windows 8:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969510%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Note This function is deprecated as of Windows 8. DWM can no longer be programmatically disabled.

The service was removed and the DWM.exe started by the WinLongon.exe. If you kill the exe, the suer is logged off :(

No no, killing dwm.exe works here but it automatically restarts the process. I currently use this method but it's a little race whether it manages to hook Direct3D device creation function before DWM tries to do it.

Could you try running cmd.exe with admin privileges and command "taskkill /f /im dwm.exe" ?

The other possibility to restart Direct3D device is to open Device Manager, find videoadapter, select Disable for it and then re-enable. But I do not know how to easily automate this procedure in C++.

The correct solution would be getting existing pointer to ID3D11Device instance and hook it. But this is very complicated because you need also get all pointers to all pixel+vertex shaders and input layouts which are created with D3D device.

Or... the last solution which I want to avoid... to modify dwmcore.dll to load my library instead of D3D11.dll