Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

It is not fully possible, but next version will use original pixel shaders which are still present in Windows 8 and even loaded into memory by DWM process itself.

a 32 bit version please?

It is not fully possible, but next version will use original pixel shaders which are still present in Windows 8 and even loaded into memory by DWM process itself.

Well, dwmcore still contains everything for Flip3D and blur, it's just a matter of a code removed. If you can bring it back, that would rock.

Yeah, there is still everything - pixel shaders, vertex shaders, sampler states, input layouts etc. and everything is even loaded into memory during DWM startup. I am currently playing with the pixel shaders and it works like a charm. It even respects the colorization/balance settings from the registry. However, I do not want to rely on it too much because we can't say how long the code stays there and it can be removed with any future update.

Edited by bigmuscle

I tried running it in a virtualbox virtual machine (W8 pro x64)

It says it loaded, but didn't actually do anything

debug.log:

http://paste.installgentoo.com/view/5c620b2d

a 32 bit version please?

People still use 32-bit Windows?

Yeah, there is still everything - pixel shaders, vertex shaders, sampler states, input layouts etc. and everything is even loaded into memory during DWM startup. I am currently playing with the pixel shaders and it works like a charm. It even respects the colorization/balance settings from the registry. However, I do not want to rely on it too much because we can't say how long the code stays there and it can be removed with any future update.

Then we don't update it :D

Works on my Intel i7 desktop with Nvidia Gforce GTX 580 but doesn't work on my ATI/ AMD on Radeon HD 3200 graphics laptop , could it be the laptops direct X9 verses the desktops direct X11?

I just get the black screen on the laptop and I have to force a laptop to reboot.

Was great on the desktop as you can see with my screen grab.

My link

Looking forward to the official release as I only used dark themes like this and I would love to have this the full transparency so I can replicate this thing in windows 8.

My link

Edited by SilverSurfer

Works on my Intel i7 desktop with Nvidia Gforce GTX 580 but doesn't work on my ATI/ AMD on Radeon HD 3200 graphics laptop , could it be the laptops direct X9 verses the desktops direct X11?

I just get the black screen on the laptop and I have to force a laptop to reboot.

Was great on the desktop as you can see with my screen grab.

My link

Looking forward to the official release as I only used dark themes like this and I would love to have this the full transparency so I can replicate this thing in windows 8.

My link

How do you get Windows Explorer to look so transparent? I mean I wouldnt personally like as much transparency in the normal Explorer window. I'd prefer the toolbar to look like my Office 2010 screenshot (I posted previously on here). However, for things like Personalisation, that level of transparent background is quite effective.

Hmmm, I guess thats off topic tho.

Back on topic! I have been using Preview 3 for nearly a week now, and, in the past few days, I have had absolutely no issues. This includes playing games for 10+ sessions and leaving on overnight. I have not restarted in several days.

I look forward to any updated that might include the retained DWM code. I mean, while that code is there, it could be used as a temporary measure (if it helped - Maybe it doesnt help), while work on an independent implementation was done.

I would bet, since using Windows as far back as 1990, MS tended not to remove some pieces of code left over from previous builds. My guess is that keeping certain piece stops breaking of undocumented dependencies. e.g, there were the same GUI bugs in Windows 95 all the way until the GUI was remade for XP. I know that is just speculation, but, since DWM hasnt really changed that much, I just bet there is a reason they would never admit for keeping the old code. Well, it could be laziness I guess. Laziness could also explain the Windows 95 onwards GUI bugs too.

Oh but this is all idle speculation on my behalf. I havent programmed anything since college... so I guess I haven't programmed anything in nearly 8 years xD.

You can try playing with DeviceFeatureLevel registry settings. It allows achieving glass effect also on non-supported drivers (and even when no graphics drivers are installed).

a 32 bit version please?

This question has been answered ad nauseam. It won't hurt you to read. Pestering the developer with this question won't make it happen any faster. If you want to see a 32-bit pre-release version so badly, you can pitch in and help make it happen.

a 32 bit version please?

This question has been answered ad nauseam. It won't hurt you to read. Pestering the developer with this question won't make it happen any faster. If you want to see a 32-bit pre-release version so badly, you can pitch in and help make it happen.

Not without the source we can't. I'd love to port this over to Windows RT, but there's no source to port.

Not without the source we can't. I'd love to port this over to Windows RT, but there's no source to port.

Port if over to Windows RT? How are you going to do that? Windows 8 apps are chromeless. What are you going to make transparent/translucent? The background or the tiles or something?