Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Is anybody here who has experience with uxtheme/msstyles? I am trying to implement feature which allows to set theme resource without msstyle patching (including caption glow effect) but I am probably missing something :-)

Can't help directly but what about Uxstyle -it's an executable that allows you to use msstyles without actually patching any system files. The author of that appears to hang out at http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/37000-UxStyle-updated-for-windows-8-%28experimental%29 so it might even be worth having a chat with him to see if he'd be willing to let you implement whatever method he's used.

Is anybody here who has experience with uxtheme/msstyles? I am trying to implement feature which allows to set theme resource without msstyle patching (including caption glow effect) but I am probably missing something :-)

Can't help directly but what about Uxstyle -it's an executable that allows you to use msstyles without actually patching any system files. The author of that appears to hang out at http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/37000-UxStyle-updated-for-windows-8-%28experimental%29 so it might even be worth having a chat with him to see if he'd be willing to let you implement whatever method he's used.

Oh, I've used UXThemer, and it does mod dll files, but can allow custom themes to load. UXStyler mods system files but has an easy to use UI. However, the patch is not perfect and clashes with many Windows 8 updates. And can clash with Windows 8 if uninstalled too. (On boot there is no displayed graphics if there is a clash. None at all, but monitors might phase in and out of sleep).

However, if you could fix that problem, then, UXThemes add things like Text glow, and textures very easily!

Can't help directly but what about Uxstyle -it's an executable that allows you to use msstyles without actually patching any system files. The author of that appears to hang out at http://forums.mydigi...experimental%29 so it might even be worth having a chat with him to see if he'd be willing to let you implement whatever method he's used.

Oh, I've used UXThemer, and it does mod dll files, but can allow custom themes to load. UXStyler mods system files but has an easy to use UI. However, the patch is not perfect and clashes with many Windows 8 updates. And can clash with Windows 8 if uninstalled too. (On boot there is no displayed graphics if there is a clash. None at all, but monitors might phase in and out of sleep).

However, if you could fix that problem, then, UXThemes add things like Text glow, and textures very easily!

So wait - You are saying that UXStyle will clash with Windows 8 because it modifies system files, and when it does, the system will be unbootable?:o

Can't help directly but what about Uxstyle -it's an executable that allows you to use msstyles without actually patching any system files. The author of that appears to hang out at http://forums.mydigi...experimental%29 so it might even be worth having a chat with him to see if he'd be willing to let you implement whatever method he's used.

So wait - You are saying that UXStyle will clash with Windows 8 because it modifies system files, and when it does, the system will be unbootable?:o

Some Windows 8 updates can cause problems. Not every update, of course. What is also stranger than that is, unpatching the system for uninstall of the UX Patch can cause the exact same problems. Last time I used any variation of UXTheme (a few weeks before finding this DWM mod), 3 days in a row an update came that broke the system, which is when I decided it was not worth the effort, even if I hate the base Windows 8 borders.

(Thank goodness for this mod!!! I love how it looks)

Edit: So yes, UXStyle can cause a system to become unbootable. System restore points are very important :)

Edited by drakenabarion

Some Windows 8 updates can cause problems. Not every update, of course. What is also stranger than that is, unpatching the system for uninstall of the UX Patch can cause the exact same problems. Last time I used any variation of UXTheme (a few weeks before finding this DWM mod), 3 days in a row an update came that broke the system, which is when I decided it was not worth the effort, even if I hate the base Windows 8 borders.

(Thank goodness for this mod!!! I love how it looks)

Edit: So yes, UXStyle can cause a system to become unbootable. System restore points are very important :)

So, then what the heck is the point of UxStyle? I thought that the point was that it doesn't modify system files.

I have been using this on my windows 8 laptop. So it breaks Windows when I uninstall this? What happens if I boot up and I get a black screen? Is my computer done?

I never got any black screen with UxStyle when I uninstalled it, but some Windows updates can break it. Happened to me one time when a lot of updates were released.

I apologize for offtopic ;)

BTW this looks lovely with this theme :D

Edited by Blackbird256

I never got any black screen with UxStyle when I uninstalled it, but some Windows updates can break it. Happened to me one time when a lot of updates were released.

With this theme the task bar looks almost like in Windows 7, but the loader crashes when I hover on the task bar icon thumbnails. Does it happen to you also?

Well If "some Windows updates " break or conflict with UxStyle, would be nice to know Which Updates are the problem and then avoid them..

Reminds me years ago when I updated all my XP files , folders and icons to give them a Vista/Win7 look then after some MS updates came out

and Service pack, everything was downgraded back to the org xp style..bummer

I just used system restore point, uninstalled UxStyle, installed all the updates, installed UxStyle again and no problems so far.

With this theme the task bar looks almost like in Windows 7, but the loader crashes when I hover on the task bar icon thumbnails. Does it happen to you also?

In 0.4? I haven't tried that actually. BRB

Alright you're right there are some visual artifacts or it randomly crashes. It looks nice though.

Happens in 0.3 as well.

Edited by Blackbird256

help me pls! It not work for me

I download "Aero Glass for Win8 v0.4" and extract files to C:\DWM. I run DWMLoader.exe

I try to change the DeviceFeatureLevel registry key to 9100, 9200, 9300 but not work

post-375247-0-93772100-1362748666_thumb.

Edited by sungod1422

help me pls! It not work for me

I download "Aero Glass for Win8 v0.4" and extract files to C:\DWM. I run DWMLoader.exe

I try to change the DeviceFeatureLevel registry key to 9100, 9200, 9300 but not work

Attach debug.txt

debug.txt

Edited by sungod1422

Yeah, text glow effect is just a part of aero theme resource. The problem is when I simply copy the glow glyph from RP to RTM (and enable new image in my utility), the glow appears but it seems that it ignores its alpha channel. Although image contains alpha channel and shaders and blend states are same as in RP. Will be more work than I thought :w00t:

post-360084-0-18648500-1362755938_thumb.