Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

All of the versions have been very unreliable, in the sense that when I would start them, there is a >70% chance of the dwm freezing, and when this happens, the only thing I can do is power off the computer (the exit shortcut doesn't work here). So this is still almost useless for me. Do you know why it does this? Sometimes it shows only black when it does this, sometimes it shows a few of the windows in basic style.

Works fine, but there is still crash while using 7 Aero and previewing windows.

D2D - Crashes instantly

D3D - Visual artifacts like mentioned before.

I'm guessing your using a custom theme made by some one, Who ever made your theme has change some think they shouldn't have my theme here AeroByDesign For Windows 8 works without any problems, I will test v0.5 out to see if i get any crashes but so far it been fine.

Edited by LiveOrDie

D2D - Crashes instantly

When I have time I will try to install that theme to see what is wrong.

When I enable Direct3D mode windows become colorized, colorization disabled, in Direct2D normal. How disable colorization in Direct3D?

Set GlassTransparency to 0, filling window border with color isn't intended for Direct3D implementation because it uses default Windows 8 colorization mechanism.

All of the versions have been very unreliable, in the sense that when I would start them, there is a >70% chance of the dwm freezing, and when this happens, the only thing I can do is power off the computer (the exit shortcut doesn't work here). So this is still almost useless for me. Do you know why it does this? Sometimes it shows only black when it does this, sometimes it shows a few of the windows in basic style.

Preview versions are NOT intended to be reliable in any sense. There is a race condition in the loading procedure which will never be fixed in any preview version (simply because it has no sense to fix something what is going to be removed in final version)

When I enable Direct3D mode windows become colorized, colorization disabled, in Direct2D normal. How disable colorization in Direct3D?

Set GlassTransparency to 0, filling window border with color isn't intended for Direct3D implementation because it uses default Windows 8 colorization mechanism.

Why results of simple switching between 2D and 3D so different, without any tweaks?

Because Direct2D is a kind of hack, it is just another layer which renders Direct2D effect into Direct3D render target (= screen). Direct3D method is a reuse of DWM native pixel shaders.

AERO GLASS PREVIEW 5

Another experimental preview is here!

What's new:

* default device feature level is set to 9.1 until correct solution is found

* experimental blur behind taskbar (GlassTransparency settings is not applied to it!!!)

* added possibility to set own theme resource (requires bitmap with non-premultiplied alpha)

* using screen size instead of virtual screen size on some places (does this affect multimonitor configuration???)

* decreased interval for setting layered windows to 250 ms

* settings moved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (applied on DWM startup, so dwm.exe restart is needed on change)

DisableLogging (DWORD) - 0 = enables, 1 = disables verbose logging into debug.log file (default = 0)

DeviceFeatureLevel (DWORD) - Direct3D version which should be used for DWM rendering (default = 0x9100)

BypassLayeredWindowsRendering (DWORD) - 0 = enables, 1 = disables alpha blending of layered windows with alpha value of 254 (default = 1)

UseDirect2DRendering (DWORD) - 0 = use Direct3D mode, 1 = use Direct2D mode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (applied when colorization settings is changed - e.g. in control panel)

BlurDeviation (DWORD) - the amount of blur to be applied. Set to 0 to disable blur effect completely (default = 30)

GlassTransparency (DWORD) - value of alpha component (0-255) which will be applied to the glass, has no effect on taskbar (default in D3D = 64, in D2D = 175).

CustomThemeResource (STRING) - path to PNG file with theme resource (bitmap must have exactly the same layout as msstyle theme you are using!)

ColorizationBlurBalanceInactive

ColorizationAfterglowInactive

ColorizationColorInactive

ColorizationAfterglowBalanceInactive

ColorizationColorBalanceInactive

http://prdownload.berlios.de/glass8/DWMHook05.7z

With Multi Monitor, the previous issue in D3D mode no longer occurs - transparency is consistent now. Window's setting for colour intensity controls the transparency nicely too.

Some minor and barely visible artefacts occur but they are not screenshotable. Particularly at the edges of windows. It actually looks a bit like the edge glow form Windows 7, but, it sometimes gets cleaned out when selecting a window and then slowly returns after a few seconds. It generally looks good tho even if unintended.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ffj9827f30mlmf/2013-03-09%2018.01.03.jpg?m

Edited by drakenabarion

AERO GLASS PREVIEW 5

Another experimental preview is here!

What's new:

* default device feature level is set to 9.1 until correct solution is found

* experimental blur behind taskbar (GlassTransparency settings is not applied to it!!!)

* added possibility to set own theme resource (requires bitmap with non-premultiplied alpha)

* using screen size instead of virtual screen size on some places (does this affect multimonitor configuration???)

* decreased interval for setting layered windows to 250 ms

* settings moved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (applied on DWM startup, so dwm.exe restart is needed on change)

DisableLogging (DWORD) - 0 = enables, 1 = disables verbose logging into debug.log file (default = 0)

DeviceFeatureLevel (DWORD) - Direct3D version which should be used for DWM rendering (default = 0x9100)

BypassLayeredWindowsRendering (DWORD) - 0 = enables, 1 = disables alpha blending of layered windows with alpha value of 254 (default = 1)

UseDirect2DRendering (DWORD) - 0 = use Direct3D mode, 1 = use Direct2D mode

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (applied when colorization settings is changed - e.g. in control panel)

BlurDeviation (DWORD) - the amount of blur to be applied. Set to 0 to disable blur effect completely (default = 30)

GlassTransparency (DWORD) - value of alpha component (0-255) which will be applied to the glass, has no effect on taskbar (default in D3D = 64, in D2D = 175).

CustomThemeResource (STRING) - path to PNG file with theme resource (bitmap must have exactly the same layout as msstyle theme you are using!)

ColorizationBlurBalanceInactive

ColorizationAfterglowInactive

ColorizationColorInactive

ColorizationAfterglowBalanceInactive

ColorizationColorBalanceInactive

http://prdownload.berlios.de/glass8/DWMHook05.7z

Bigmuscle do you plan to implement the flip 3D effect still? or is that long gone? :whistle::hello:

D2D - Crashes instantly

When I have time I will try to install that theme to see what is wrong.

Are we talking about this theme http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Vs-REV-D-350491112 ? I have installed and do not have any problems with it.

Some minor and barely visible artefacts occur but they are not screenshotable. Particularly at the edges of windows. It actually looks a bit like the edge glow form Windows 7, but, it sometimes gets cleaned out when selecting a window and then slowly returns after a few seconds. It generally looks good tho even if unintended.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ffj9827f30mlmf/2013-03-09%2018.01.03.jpg?m

yes, this is known. Direct3D mode is not finished yet, it requires some more changes.

Yeah, got it. This theme somehow modifies standard vertices to achieve rounded borders on preview windows. I was expecting the maximum number of vertices to be 22 (classic rectangle window border), but this theme uses 34 vertices. It results in crash, because my vertex buffer was too small to fit all vertices. I should use dynamic buffer instead.