Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Just if people are interested, Stardock have released Window Blinds 8 beta (v7.90). Just tried it, works well, even got a 'windows 8 RTM' style theme, with transparency, blur, and highlighted/glowing text in the title bar.

Would be good to see this released still mind due to it supporting the default windows 8 style with transparency, and supporting actual windows skins.

Edit : Discovered a few things that don't work with window blinds already, so had to turn it off (probably could go through the usual app exclusion stuff, but can't be bothered) so hope this comes out soon as final release without the dialog box!!! :)

Edited by snowglider

Hi I have a problem with AGtweaker ive installed it bet to my ability's and I cant get aero please could someone help I get the tweaker up but no setting will work ? thanks Sean

Support topic for AGTweaker is here:

By the way, is it possible to remove the popups that inform it is a beta version of the demo ?

That could be awesome.

Thanks.

Still have this stupid message in the RC? Isn´t he knowing how long people have been waiting for Aero and then he nevertheless still makes it impossible to use. Given this is a RC the final version will annoy you with a pupup either.

Here is the installer version for Aero Glass for Windows 8 RC1 By Big Muscle

http://cl.ly/P2Pd

- Fix Uninstalling Method

- Now Installed in "System Drive\DWM" folder, due to debug.log & crash.log file write permission

Note :

If you are using the Aero Glass for Windows 8 RC0 installer, make sure you uninstall it from add & remove program and the reboot.

don't forget to delete the DWMGlass.dll in your system directory.

And still use it with your own risk :yes:

I can't get this to work strangely, I'm using Windows8 64 bit. Nothing changed at all.

EDIT: oh nvm I have uefi secure boot on.

EDIT2: Looks great! Big thanks to TC.

Edited by GradationAir

Hi all.

Is this making anyone elses screen go completely black?

0.8 worked fine, but 0.9.x versions make my screen go completely black for at least 5 to 10 minutes....

My vid card is an nvidia 8400GS.

My board is a UEFI board, but dont think secure boot is an issue as v0.8 worked ok previously, and havent changed anything in BIOS since.

Is there any other info I can post to help troubleshoot this issue.

Thx

UEFI board but an ancient 8400GS? Something like this exists? o.O

You could try using AGTweaker and change the DX modes, but be careful to not switch to DX10.1+ or you'll be stuck with a black screen.

With what RC versiion will the every 1 hour beta popup finally be removed? It makes full screen gaming literally impossible. Release candidates generally means the software is no longer beta anyway so I really don't see the point..............................................................

Release candidate generally means that the software has not been fully released yet and it is not intended for regular usage.

Ok, today I noticed that Explorer restarted a few times. (Taskbar and Windows Explorer stopped responding, desktop image and taskbar disappeared briefly and reappeared).

There is no crash.log or minidump, so I do not have any debuging logs to share. I guess I cannot be surethat it has anything to do with AeroGlass - it might be unrelated. But, I think it might be worth mentioning. *shrug* :D

Yeah, it does not install exception handler in explorer process. The only executed code in this process is at startup and when modifying color settings in control panel. Thus if it crashes at another time then it is not fault of my utility.

I'm pretty sure final version isn't going to have it. That would be pretty stupid. Better question is how many RCs there'll be.

Not many...

but be careful to not switch to DX10.1+ or you'll be stuck with a black screen.

This is not the complete truth. If your video adapter supports DX11.1, you will be able to set 11.1 correctly. On the other side, if you adapter does not support anything higher than DX 9.3, it will crash for anything above this version. When this settings is not touched, it starts with the highest possible version and tries until it succeed.

And to inactive colors... how to reproduce your problem? I changed appropriate registry values and have no problems. Inactive frame color changed as expected.

For me, the inactive colour changed when I restart the DWM process, but once I select then deselect a window, they are uncoloured after they are made inactive. (Not a huge problem for me really, but I figure it is not expected behaviour?)

no, it's not expected but it works here correctly. But i have not tried to restart DWM, just forced to reload settings via control panel.

EDIT: ah, I noticed that restarting DWM makes inactive frames to be drawn by default color and it is refreshed to correct color when window is redrawn.

Edited by bigmuscle

I've noticed that around the same time my fast startup (hybridboot) does not work anymore(Even though enabled same startup time as normal). Is it just me?

Edited by GradationAir

but be careful to not switch to DX10.1+ or you'll be stuck with a black screen.

This is not the complete truth. If your video adapter supports DX11.1, you will be able to set 11.1 correctly. On the other side, if you adapter does not support anything higher than DX 9.3, it will crash for anything above this version. When this settings is not touched, it starts with the highest possible version and tries until it succeed.

It is in the case of a 8400GS, it has the same hardware capabilities as my 8600m chip afaik. the 8k series support DX10.0, but your code only works with DX9.3 for me.

DX10.0 is completely transparent/no blur...